• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet members say hi

Hello,
To start with first of all, I would like to thank all the members for making this forum so resourceful. I am an international student from Nepal. I recently finished my undergrad with a B.S. in biochemistry and minor in mathematics. I have found financial engineering very interesting so I have decided to apply in Fall 08/09. Thus from the suggestion of the members and Baruch website, I recently took some more math classes. The math classes that I have taken are as follows:
Calculus I, II & III, Linear Algebra, Linear Algbera I(Graduate), Mathematical Stats I & II, Differential Equation, Multivariate calculus, Basic Probability (will take in Fall).
I have decided to self teach C++ n finance. I attended the info session as well.
Any suggestions will be truly appreciated.
AD

Hi guys,
Welcome to Quantnet. I hope this community will be your companion on your road to success.

Feel free to ask for anything outside of the wealth of info we have here. I just like to point you to the 2 important sources we have on our Wiki

Baruch - Quantnet Wiki and Baruch FAQ - Quantnet Wiki
Add more to it when you find something useful.

CQF

Hi All,

Thanks Andy for a nice forum. I am a new member of this forum.

After looking at various options, I have decided to enter the quant area. So far I have 9+ years of IT exp mostly in Software development with Masters in Technology.

Now I am looking at CQF. I also looked at MBA program, but I am not sure if it is going to help me transition to Quant area.

Please suggest me.

Regards
RC

Hi guys, my name is Mikaely, i'm from Togo( west africa). I'm just overwelmed by how everybody on this forum seem so knowledgeable but at the same time friendly and humble. Great website you guys have here. I'm applying to the program in two years.

:welcome: Welcome guys
Do ask questions. It's free and it doesn't hurt. ;)
As for the choice between MFE, CQF, MBA, it depends on what you plan to do with the degree after that, what your schedule and your background.

MBA requires some work experience as far as I know and does not require much quantitative background. You can get an MBA without knowing heavy programming (except some basic excel/vba skills) or math for that matter. A desired career path for MBA graduates seems to be an investment banker.

CQF seems to be the only choice for those desiring a quantitative finance degree with the convinience of studying online and at home. If you get your employer to pay for it, then I'd say go for it. Whether the CQF provides an instant payoff in form of a more lucrative job afterward reminds to be seen. The market demands for CQF at this moment in NYC is really slim. It may improve if there aren't enough MFE/MBA to meet the demands.

MFE is the best choice in my opinion but at the same time, it's not for everyone. It provides really rigorous training in math/finance/programming. At least, that's the case at Baruch. I can't say that about all other MFE programs out there.

In term of return of investment, I find MFE's payout is much better than all other options out there for me. For 9K tuition and 1.5 years of my life, job prospect and compensation are more than paying off the cost several times over.

Yeah, I came to this decision after seeing all the options there are for me. You should all do the same and see what's best for you. Whatever you end up doing, this community can provide you with much info that help you succeed.

Hello QN

I'm a new MFE student looking forward to starting next week. I've been working in the software industry for 13 yrs so I'm naive enough not to know what I got myself into.

Andy, thanks for a great site. (Is Andy really one person or is there a team called "Andy" running this thing?!)

I'm a new MFE student looking forward to starting next week. I've been working in the software industry for 13 yrs so I'm naive enough not to know what I got myself into.

Andy, thanks for a great site. (Is Andy really one person or is there a team called "Andy" running this thing?!)

Andy is a team of one :)

You will meet him soon, Ed, he will be the TA for the AC refresher course!

Hi, I am an undergraduate student at Baruch College with a Finance major graduating in August 2007. I am thinking to get into MFE program a year later. In the meanwhile, I would like to learn C++, but need some suggestions regarding the best compilers to run the program that are available for free. I was used to some programming in Java, but going though most of the posted threads on Quantnet, I found out that C++ is the preferred language at Baruch.I need some suggestions regarding c++ compiler.

Thanks
Sekharny

Hi,

I am graduating soon from Baruch with a BBA in finance. However, I have to admit that I am addicted to quantnet since a month. I love programming so, I am planning to get into MFE program in the near future and hope to network with fellow seniors .

Hi, I am an undergraduate student at Baruch College with a Finance major graduating in August 2007. I am thinking to get into MFE program a year later. In the meanwhile, I would like to learn C++, but need some suggestions regarding the best compilers to run the program that are available for free. I was used to some programming in Java, but going though most of the posted threads on Quantnet, I found out that C++ is the preferred language at Baruch.I need some suggestions regarding c++ compiler.

Thanks
Sekharny

Becoming addicted to Quantnet :D

The free Visual Studio Express Edition contains the latest Microsoft C++ compiler (8.0), and it is very well-behaved wrt the C++ standards (unlike earlier revisions). I am sure other people have their own favourites.

Thanks Steve

The free Visual Studio Express Edition contains the latest Microsoft C++ compiler (8.0), and it is very well-behaved wrt the C++ standards (unlike earlier revisions). I am sure other people have their own favourites.

Hi steve,

Thanks a lot for you quick response. As a new learner of c++, I downloaded Microsoft's Visual c++ 2005 edition. However, should I proceed learning this new language with MS C++ or are there other better options or what is the industry standard for compiling c++ programs?

Thanks in advance,

Sekhar

There is no industry standard for C++ compilers. The language itself, including the STL (Standard Template Library), IS standardized and the VC+ compiler in VS2005 conforms very well to that. I work exclusively on Windows systems, so my preference is for VC++, but other companies and developers use different compilers (mainly on Linux or Solaris in the finance world afaik), and perhaps others can speak to their preference and level of standards conformance.

When learning the language, make sure you stay aware of the distinction between language featuers and platform features. On Windows in VC++, you can create a program thread by calling the Win32 API CreateThread. That's a platform feature. You can also create a list of C++ objects using the STL vector class as a container. That's a language feature. You need to know both, but the language skills are transferable to different platforms, while platform knowledge are not.

I used to work on Windows but just started to work on Linux. GCC (GNU compiler collection) seems to be a free open source compiler that you can use to compile C++ code on Linux and other POSIX platforms. If you only use Windows, you can get a cygwin (kind of run Linux on top of Windows so you can run GCC within). Keep in mind, though, VC++ allows you to view/edit code in a much easier way if you are used to GUI.

Hi steve,

Thanks a lot for you quick response. As a new learner of c++, I downloaded Microsoft's Visual c++ 2005 edition. However, should I proceed learning this new language with MS C++ or are there other better options or what is the industry standard for compiling c++ programs?

Thanks in advance,

Sekhar

Thanx

I used to work on Windows but just started to work on Linux. GCC (GNU compiler collection) seems to be a free open source compiler that you can use to compile C++ code on Linux and other POSIX platforms. If you only use Windows, you can get a cygwin (kind of run Linux on top of Windows so you can run GCC within). Keep in mind, though, VC++ allows you to view/edit code in a much easier way if you are used to GUI.

Thanks Richard

Hi all:
I'm a new quant working in Pivate Equity field as a Financial Engineer in P.R.China. Since China just fully opened the financial market last year, and derivertives and financial engineering are quite new, I really need help from all of you. Hope I can help as well.
I majored in Computer Science as Bachalor, and got master degree of finance from the University of Edinburgh, UK.
Glad to see every one!:D

Back