• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet members say hi

Hi everybody,

This is Piero from Italy, I just secured a place in the MFE@Berkeley for 2009/2010.

I believe networking skilss are just as important as your hard ones, joining this forum can do nothing but boost connections with people with similar interests!

Looking forward to sharing with you.
PB

Welcome :) hope you find here all you are looking for. And don't hesitate to ask questions or join discussions.

New member studying in Switzerland

Dear all:),

I am applying the Risk management, Master Program in Switzerland. They have one in Laussane University. I am writing the personal statement now and hope we will have good time together~

Nigerian MFE prospect

Hi All,

I'm highly glad 2 join ur fold, wish I had met this forum earlier.

I just got my admission letter 2 rutgers MQF, also applied 2 ICMA centre(reading) for MFE (new course and Seftci also lectures there) though i'm yet to get a decision.

Look forward 2 working in NY/London for a couple of years then rtn 2 Nigerian.

Isaac:prayer:

Hello, everybody. I am currently a quant student and will graduate towards the end of this year.

hope this helps when i need help myself...

Hi guys,

PS: My plan to see if I like this field or not is as follows: During the summer I will get MS Joshi's book 'Concepts and Practice of Mathematical Finance'. If I am able to teach it to myself(assuming it can be done by an undegrad) and if I like it, I will try to get into the field. Otherwise...well I guess financial engineering is not for me .

Heya Hari!

seems we have some liked interests. altho, i am not an EE major or never thought of it. i found out about Financial Engineering while learning how to do Technical Analysis of stocks...and came about realizing alot of it has to do with math and calculus..etc. so with that in mind, i realized how much i enjoy technical analysis and am looking to become a Chartered Market Technician on top of getting a Masters in Quantitative Finance/Financial Engineering. what i hope by getting through this site is maybe a mentor to guide me.
In my opinion, i think you are on the right track. Not only would i read that book in Mathematical Finance I would read books on Technical Analysis and other books or articles on Finance, economics and how to invest or how to trade. All basic readings, and if you enjoy them and enjoy math.. then FE maybe the career for you as a Quantitative Analyst. but i'm as a novice as you are. I have worked in Finance already on a trading desk as an Asst. Trader and a Treasury Analyst. so i actually am starting school again Full Time this summer and plan on going to SUNY Stony Brook in the Fall of 2009 for their new Quant Finance program.
Also, to be honest with you, i never even thought of reading a "Mathematical Finance" book like you mentioned.. i'm going to Barnes&Noble now, today, to see if i could find one.. (Dont know why i didnn't think of that.. .so thank you!!) thats why i love this forum, we all could help each other... Back to the book... one thing i know for sure.. if you do not find that book interesting, you don't like it or you can't learn it.. do NOT let that be your deciding factor. . learning in a classroom, as you know is a big difference then learning on your own... just b/c you may not like that book wont mean you will not like finance or Financial Engineering..
Relating to you getting an EE and a MBA.. i think you maybe onto something there!!!
many companies also look for Electrical Engineering these days b/c of the similarities AND their are more EE's out there than there are FE's. In my opinion, if you do not do a FE program, I think an EE with an MBA is a fantastic idea...!! please let me know what you decide, as it may help me figure out what to do...
i'm looking to go back to school...(again) full time starting this summer as a Full Time student. i'm 30years old and actualy plan on living in the dorms again.. Yes, i am.. but i hate the idea of living with an 18year old freshman as i will be this adult transfer student. but being that i wouldn't have to worry about other things such as an apartment and paying rent.. i could put all my effort into studying which with this type of degree i think is important.. i plan on getting an Econ/Political Science degree and minor in math... or vice versa or some combination of those... i already have a 130credits towards a Bachelor's in Communications.. so im stepping back to move forward by getting those math credits and improving my GPA.
well, my friend.. good luck to you!

best regards,
jules

hello.. i'm new to this site and i'm new to Quant

hiya guys!
i am so thrilled to have found this site. as i was looking for some kind of mentor, i found this site to be a perfect fit to mentor me..! i have worked in finance for a number of years as an asst trader and a treasury analyst. i was injured (not on the job) became sick and disabled for five years. i'm turning 31 next month and looking to begin school FullTime starting this summer...(again). i have 130credits towards a bachelor's in communications. being that will not help me get into a Financial Engineering program.. i will be getting a degree in Economics/Political Science and minor in Math.. or vice versa, or some combination of those three.. I should be able to begin a Master's in Quantitative Finance starting in the Fall of 2009 at SUNY Stony Brook. their program, like many others is brand spanking new.. their first candidates began this past fall of 2007!
that will actually be my best, most logical, most affordable choice.. as I plan on applying to UC Berkley, NYU and Columbia.. i probably will not be able to get into any of them... let alone afford it.. but we'll se...!
if anyone wants to give me some pointers, advice or better yet.. tell me their stories... as the more and more people i hear from telling me what they did and/or are going thru.. it paints a better picture by hearing so called 'biographies' of Financial Engineering students...

Hello, everybody. I am currently a quant student and will graduate towards the end of this year.

hey excel..!
congrats on soon graduating..! if you don't mind me asking, where are you graduating from? will you be getting your master's? or undergrad? or PhD? also, please accept my apologies for asking so many questions.. its just that i am first starting off.. i wont be starting a Master's until Fall of 2009 to give me time to get some math credits and a new undergrad in.. But i would like to know your exact degree title? Is it "Financial Engineering/Quantitative Finance"? Or, is it "Applied Mathematics and Statistics in Finance"? I only ask b/c i am wondering what the difference is, if there is a difference at all and if you know? I hear sometimes ppl saying that FE is typically a one year master's program and the Applied Math in Finance is a two year master's.

hey excel..!
congrats on soon graduating..! if you don't mind me asking, where are you graduating from? will you be getting your master's? or undergrad? or PhD? also, please accept my apologies for asking so many questions.. its just that i am first starting off.. i wont be starting a Master's until Fall of 2009 to give me time to get some math credits and a new undergrad in.. But i would like to know your exact degree title? Is it "Financial Engineering/Quantitative Finance"? Or, is it "Applied Mathematics and Statistics in Finance"? I only ask b/c i am wondering what the difference is, if there is a difference at all and if you know? I hear sometimes ppl saying that FE is typically a one year master's program and the Applied Math in Finance is a two year master's.

I am a part-time student in the mathematical finance master's program at NYU. I think FE, applied math in finance, computational finance, and mathematical finance are different names of the same field. The difference in time to get the degree is mainly due to the difference in the amount of course work required.

Hi Excel VBA,
Welcome to Quantnet.
Is your user name what you mostly learn/use in the NYU program ? No C++ or Matlab ?

At NYU we use C++, Java, Matlab, R, and Excel/VBA to do assignments (some assignments have to be completed with certain languages to make sure students learn that tool). Overall, Excel/VBA is used more often than any other languages.

Thank you.
That's what I heard about the NYU program (lot of Matlab, VBA) but want to double check with someone who actually studied there.

What are the differences between the FT and PT programs there? Do they study the exact same materials with the same professors? Also heard that PT students don't get career placement help.

Thanks for all the feedback. You are the first NYU students who posted here so we'll try to learn as much as we can from you ;)

Your information is correct. at NYU FT and PT students attend the same lectures, do the same assignments, and take the same exams. When it comes to placement, PT students are largely on their own.

heyy everyone - glad to find this site! fairly recent graduate from UChicago's Financial Math program, workin at my first job, getting knee-deep in C# now.

Andy, thx for some of the great code u've put up here!! Especially creating UDF's in Excel using C# and VS2008. very verrrry helpful!!

~bayeskid

Hi

Hi

Just dropped in to say hi to all !! I am a new member. I find this website extremely useful.
My background is Integrated Mtech in Mathematics and Computing from IIT Delhi.
No work ex.
2 internships in France Research Centres ( JAVA, C++).
Studying MS in Finance at IIT Stuart. So neither from Baruch nor NYC :)
I had nothing to do with finance before coming to US. But now I enjoy it to the fullest.
I am glad people at this forum are helping each other a lot
instead of trying to outdo one other...

Good luck to all for their endeavour !!

Hi BayesKid,
Welcome to Quantnet. Congrats on your first job.
It's interesting that you found us via a piece of C# post instead of tons of posts about quant, MFE program (U Chicago MFM among them).
If you have any question about C#, shoot us a question.

Hi Andy! Actually I found out bout quantnet.com thru wilmott.com ... but I was a lurker til yesterday. Had to thank ya for that C# code because it saved my life- exactly the sort of example I was looking for.

I work in Chicago, a small option marketmaking prop shop, but interested in some of the hedge funds in NYC ... looking to eventually do stat arb'y sort of trading that I did on my own before enrolling at UChicago.

Hi All

I am Bhargav from India. I visited couple of forums where discussion on quant finance programs takes place. Among these, Quantnet is undoubtedly the best where people are very amiable and give some real advice with lot of patience.

thanks to everyone who participates here.

brief background
Education : B.Tech from IIT Guwahati, 2006
Work experience : 1 year 9 months (Bank of America and Headstrong financial services)
CFA Level 2 candidate
I will most likely (99.99%) be attending Baruch this fall.
(I am posting my profile in an effort to help prospective students)

Thanks,
Bhargav R

Hi everybody!

I joined because from what I heard it looks like a good community, and found some useful information about programming here.

Quick Background: Final year Masters, Mathematics, Imperial College London, plenty of Matlab,R, and C experience. Knowledge of monte carlo methods, stochastic simulation, pdes, pattern recognition, financial management and lots more.

Look forward to posting more in this forum!

Back