• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet members say hi

Ferdinand,

Yeah it is a great community, isn't it? I am pretty new to the community myself. Do you feel comfortable sharing which bank you work for? I know at least one ibank that is hiring for roles in Tokyo. Also, keep in mind that even though the larger banks (Lehman, UBS, obviously Bear) are shrinking, the stand-alone hedge funds (funds that aren't necessarily part of a big bank) are hiring -- there are opportunities in the US for sure.

welcome to QN, Ferdinand. look around, there are numerous forums that could be relevant to your situation. and, if you can't find something, ask away!

New memeber to Quant Net

Hello All,

Just wanted to give a brief introduction.

I have been working for a major investment bank for 4 years now (1 year so far of full-time post university experience, 3 years part-time and internships). My role currently is in the equities technology world as business analyst.

My undergraduate degree is in computer science and I have recently decided to pursue my master in Financial Engineering. I am strongly considering applying to the program at Baruch within the next year or so.

I think I have a long way to go before I'll be ready for the program but I plan to work hard and stay focussed on my goals. I hope this forum will prove to be an invaluable resource during this process.

Thanks,

Jacek J.

Welcome all. JaceKJ, now is a good time to start on brushing up your math skills. Seems like you are probably good on the finance and programming. A year or so of math classes or self-study (and GRE study) should be started asap. Maybe Dan's book is a good start. This 276 page gem is essentially what people starting the Baruch program should know *before* starting the first semester (it's covered in the 2-week refresher too).

Kunal, tell us more about entering the quant field -- what does that mean to you? Are you wanting to work as a quant? Or are you interested in working at a hedge fund or prop trading firm that uses algorithmic trading strategies? if it is the latter, you may be able to work as an analyst supporting a PM for instance, or a developer, or in some cases a junior trader. There are multiple ways of "getting in," if you will. Anyways, just food for though.

Icarus, this is slightly tangential but with regards to applying for jobs, I don't think your GRE verbal score is going to hurt -- the quant score is the one that matters. Now that might be different wrt applying for schools. And I understand the latter was where your question was directed.

I'm also going to be entering Rutgers MSMF this fall. I just graduated from Rutgers with an ECE degree, and am working this summer as a software engineer before I go to school full time.

My Profile is as follows:
GPA from Rutgers ECE: 3.42 (good enough for high honors from the engineering school)
GPA in the required course list: Approx 3.88
GRE: Quant 800 verbal 550 AWA 5.5

Hi there.

Hi there, my name is Ilya Kipnis. I am currently a rising undergraduate senior at Lehigh University with a major in Information Systems Engineering (aka Industrial Engineering+Mix of Computer Science) with my tech electives going to leadership, and free electives going to finance.

A little about me: currently I am working an actuarial internship at Watson Wyatt in Philadelphia, though I'm not getting to test my operations research or optimization skills or monte carlo skills, but instead learning how an office environment works and really getting to pick up on my squishy/soft skills.

Currently, I am about to take a bunch of finance courses and hopefully stochastic calculus (IF MY UNIVERSITY LETS ME IN THERE...it's a grad course and it's got 260 applicants to the program, professor is willing to teach no more than 40) and other MFE courses.

Sadly my programming background has been difficult, so I feel I will need to start learning C++ by myself from scratch, but I love math (passed 1st actuarial exam 1st attempt (probability) and am awaiting results for the 2nd (financial mathematics)).

I realized that I would very strongly consider a quant career while recently reading John C. Hull's fundamentals of futures and options markets 5th edition when I came across profit functions, and being able to create any sort of different profit formula with the right mix of options. My favorite professor in college is a financial engineer researcher, so I'm really into that.

Anyhow, I hope to learn even more on this forum.

I hope I can jam myself into some small crevice sometime soon. I know it's extremely competitive, but Wall Street and Boiler Room already own my fire of ambition (not my soul, I leave that at home so I won't lose it =P). I'm just hoping to make up with all of the underhandedness in Boiler Room with legitimate quantitative talent and focused passion.

Greetings everybody,

I'm an undergraduate physics student at Rutgers, an aspiring quant and a huge fan of this website. So far it has proven to be a fantastic resource, and I'm sure it will even more helpful as I roll up my sleeves and dig into applications for MFE programs. Thanks for having me and I look forward to getting to know you all!

-Brendan

saying 'hi'

hello,
is there any place for 'Indian IT Male' in this forum...
if it is - here's me flagging a big and warm hello to everyone and especially to the moderator for keeping this wonderful forum alive and kicking!

i brief background about me: got a masters degree in mechanical engineering from IIT Bombay, India.. working in the field of Finite Element Analysis for past 3-4 years.. Will soon be 28 yrs young.. Just wondering if it is too early {:p} to enter in the field of finanicial engineering? got some standard test scores in place...

interested in working and making big $$ in NYC in near future, also to make some contribution to the field of numerical analysis in financial engineering - please take these two as my motivation to do a MFE course.

tata
gibacho

Hello There... Experienced quant going back to school?

Nice website, just found you guys yesterday and wanted to say hello.

I've been in us equity quant asset management space for 7 years, as an analyst & apm out west, and I have my CFA, but after last August and the slow painful demise of my current employer, I'm thinking of going back to school and get an mfe. I was just wondering if there are any other quant guys out there who went back to school and wether it was a good decision for them.

I've been looking for a new job for the past six months, but its hard to get traction somewhere new without a masters or phd these days... All you MFE'ers ruined it for everyone, :), so I figured if I can't beat them join them.

I was also wondering if anyone knew how admissions weighted real world quant experience vs gpa & gmat data points.

New Member-New Career.... A Big Hello to Everyone

Hello Everyone !
I am a civil engineer (MS in Structures) working in Southern California from past 4 years, and thinking about a serious career change. I am just getting started to study the various courses offered at various universities and weighing my options.

This community looks great and I really look forward to sharing my thoughts with everyone.

Just wondering, is there anyone who is (or has been) in a similar situation like me ?

Ken

hi everybody!

hi,everybody!I am an IR derivative trader in Shanghai,China,any good ideas and suggesitions are welcome;)

Hello all,

I am a college sophomore studying software engineering. I am very interested in scientific areas such as scientific computing, modeling & simulation, management science and others such as finance. Quantitative research and other similar technology focused areas within IB's and hedge funds seem really interesting at this time.

Without knowing exactly what I want to do in the future at this time, could anyone give me tips on what to do now to keep doors open? By how much will I be limiting opportunities by not taking extra PDE and probability classes? Should I focus my coursework on numerical or finance related applications?

More specifically, am I looking too far forward? Grad school seems a few years down the road.

greetings from a new member

Hi, everyone

My name is Ye Zhang, an international student from China. I am going to study MFE at UM this summer. I have soooo much to learn from you guys. Looking forward to meet you in the future. :)

Hello all! I am a Actaurial Science major from UCF and am hoping to make the move to the other side of the coin.

In case I haven't properly introduced myself, I'm Ilya Kipnis, an Information Systems Engineering Major from Lehigh University (Industrial+Computer Science mix), concentrating in finance and taking whatever MFE courses I can (already hacked random processes/applications)

I'm really interested in this field of using math+finance skills combined with algorithmic understanding to do amazing things. Since I am a Russian immigrant in the states, I think Global Finance/Global Derivatives and Options would be a great field for me, but what do I know? No experience in anything, but I'm hoping to find some!

hello all,

i have a BS in EE from cal poly pomona in socal. i have worked a couple years in the automotive industry as a project/sales engineer and about a couple years in the logistics industry as a software engineer(limited experience). i was laid off last month due to the business not taking off(start up co.).

i am contemplating a career change because following and investing in the stock market is my hobby. i'm thinking about pursuing a MS in math(my strong point) and using that as a stepping stone to get into MFE because my gpa in EE is not so good.

anyhow, nice to meet you all. i hope to get some advice and learn a lot from all of you.

:tiphat:

Hello to the Quantitative Realm

Hello all, hello to the quantitative realm and community. I wanted to quickly introduce myself, and put myself full bore into this community by saying that I am happy to be here. I look forward to remaining a part of this place for a long time.

A little about myself:
I am a highly specialized quantitative financial recruiter for a company in New York City called C.Bridges and have been very successful of late in placing the most qualified quantitative analysts and financial engineers. Thats about it, besides the fact that I love all art and investigation that is analytical; that is to say that I thrive on the quest for knowledge and count curiosity as a virtue.

The expectation:
I would invite any and all on this network to contact me (robert.tumas@cbridgesa.com) if you are in need of quant related job advice, or wish to explore new opportunities within the vast realms of quantitative finance. I know there has been here-say that the market is flopping like a cod and the staggered graph lines are plunging, but nay! Tis all false, or at least in part. The only movement I have seen that is positive in the last few months has been in the quantitative arts and risk management, every respectable company must have a PhD driving the recovery effort. You could be the one. The next great Taleb.

Think about it, get in touch.

Long live the algorithm.

A Model Factor
:dance:

Back