• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New thin and light Windows based laptop

I have a MacBook that I like a lot in which I do my work on C++, R, Excel. When I need VBA or Visual Studio I sometimes use Fusion and run the Windows partition on the Mac, but that can be slow and frustrating.

I am getting a new laptop and I am considering a Windows laptop in the 12-14 inch range screen, with a decent processor and speed, mainly to program in C++, Excel/VBA, Java, R, and to take it with me to work every day, so I am hoping for something under 4 lbs ideally.

Any suggestions?

I am also getting a new laptop, so far I think I will get Lenovo ThinkPad X300. I badly need track point on my laptop, and there are not many that have one nowadays.

I've been using a Thinkpad T60 model since mid 2006 till now, 24/7 for coding, and everything else. I can vouch for its durability. It has been dropped, stepped on, banged on, watered on by me and recently my son.
I purchased a few new models for family and I don't think they can be used as a mission critical machine.

In fact, I just got another identical model, used for my sister for $450 with 4GB memory.
It's a 14.1" SVGA screen. The exact model is 2623 D6U.

You can get a few used great T42 machines for $250-400.

I've been using a Thinkpad T60 model since mid 2006 till now, 24/7 for coding, and everything else. I can vouch for its durability. It has been dropped, stepped on, banged on, watered on by me and recently my son.
I purchased a few new models for family and I don't think they can be used as a mission critical machine.

In fact, I just got another identical model, used for my sister for $450 with 4GB memory.
It's a 14.1" SVGA screen. The exact model is 2623 D6U.

You can get a few used great T42 machines for $250-400.

I have a T60 since 08, no problem. Sometimes I leave it running for 3-4 days. Rest of the time is in hibernate mode, I reboot it once a week (sometimes once a month).
The only thing that I don't like is the Lenovo Message Manager application. Other than that, high recommended.

I am also getting a new laptop, so far I think I will get Lenovo ThinkPad X300. I badly need track point on my laptop, and there are not many that have one nowadays.
Oh, you got that one right. I used touchpad on my previous laptops until discovering the beauty of trackpoint on my first Thinkpad. I can't go back to touchpad again, ever.

It's so well designed and makes me a whole lot more productive. My favorite cap is soft rim (using soft dome now till I can get a new rim)
Lenovo Support & downloads - TrackPoint Caps and how to order for ThinkPad systems and TrackPoint Keyboards

Andy had me transpotted on Thinkpad in 2008, and since then I spread the word. My T61 survived playa dust of Nevada desert in August, Moscow freeze in December, two years of "almost always on" mode, and still kickin'.

My favorite cap is soft rim (using soft dome now till I can get a new rim)
I'm bullish classic dome; will trade for soft rim at no spread :)

Thinkpads for the win. Bought mine, a T42, $350 refurbished from IBM years ago, and it works like a charm (I'm using it at the very moment). Very nice hardware.

I use Ubuntu Linux as OS, it is much lighter, no danger of viruses and a lot of support for programming.

So for mac users do you recommend vmware fusion over a bootcamp or parallel desktop? What reasons or what are the major factors in your opinon?

For Macs use Virtual Box if you need to use Windows. However, I haven't done anything with windows in a long time. The best laptop I have ever had is my current Macbook Pro. It's expensive though.

For Macs use Virtual Box if you need to use Windows. However, I haven't done anything with windows in a long time. The best laptop I have ever had is my current Macbook Pro. It's expensive though.

Oh that's free, sweet. Although I can get Fusion for $40 with the student discount, not much advantage over the open-source though I should assume?

I have a new unibody macbook pro as well, I love it. only the 15" though, I suppose I may need more memory than 4GB someday. MMmmm, aluminum.

The HP Envy is a carbon copy of the MacBook. The Della Adamo is kind of like a MacBook Air.

Back