• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

prerequisites

Hi,

I am currently an undergraduate statistics major at University of california santa barbara. I wil be applying to the MFE program for fall 08.

Today I just talked to a professor who will write me a recommendation. He told me to find out whether I am at a disadvantage when competing against other applicants or after I do get into the program IF I have not taken a first course in real analysis pertaining compactness, convergence, etc. In addition, what percentage of admitted students have not taken real analysis prior to their enrollment.

Danny

A lot of people has not taken calculus-based probability when they apply so by taking one, you do yourself a great service by being more prepared and competitive.
There are topics in real analysis that can be helpful when you take stochastic calculus courses. Topics like measurable, countable...etc set theory can be helpful.

When admitted at Baruch, you will have a chance to take a refresher on the topic.

If you can take some Real Analysis, do it... you will have a leg up in the game.

the thing is i already planned out what I willing be taking in winter and spring quarter and i even put this tentative schedule in the application. So I was wondering if it would affect my offer of admission if I do not follow it in case I do get admitted.

out of curiousity, there are quite a number of applicants with master or even phd degree who apply to baruch. Do u think they have a better chance than those with just a bachelor?

the thing is i already planned out what I willing be taking in winter and spring quarter and i even put this tentative schedule in the application. So I was wondering if it would affect my offer of admission if I do not follow it in case I do get admitted.

out of curiousity, there are quite a number of applicants with master or even phd degree who apply to baruch. Do u think they have a better chance than those with just a bachelor?

not neccesarily, some of the best students in the history of our program joined straight out of undergraduate level. Besides, some banks like those bright and young candidates, whom they can mold and groom into successful bankers.

is a course in complex variable helpful?

Any math course is helpful. Complex Variables/Analysis is not directly related to FE, but will certainly improve your problem-solving abilities. But if I had a choice, I would rather take something else like Numerical Analysis or PDEs.

try to take a real analysis course. a complex variables course might be one of the least useful math courses you could take.

Back