• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE TOP 3 MFE programs in terms of Placement?

i would suspect Berkley, CMU, Princeton, NYU, Cornell and Baruch right? You cant go wrong with any of the Universities in the list of the MFE ranking (especially the top 10).

Princeton should definitely be No.1. And I'm sadly rejected.
UCB is great with the placement and high average salary since they pay great attention to the working experience when choosing students. That means most of the graduates from UCB mfe will start their job at associate level.
Then, NYU vs CMU. Actually, I'm admitted by both of them and accept CMU.
NYU is great for who plans to be a real quant, while CMU turns to be the right place for sales and trading. Also, for Aisa students, CMU is more likely to help you to hunt a promising job back in Asia. Both have high placement and average salary.
So, for those without full-time working experience, l think the top three will be Princeton, NYU and CMU.
If you have outstanding employment history, then I recommend Brauch and Columbia.

princeton is tops, and then probably columbia and stanford

When I hear "probably" it means you probably have no clue of their placement numbers and you are just guessing.

i would suspect Berkley, CMU, Princeton, NYU, Cornell and Baruch right? You cant go wrong with any of the Universities in the list of the MFE ranking (especially the top 10).

I have heard horror stories of cornel. I don't think they have good placements. Berkeley numbers seem to be great from what they have on their website. Same goes for NYU, Princeton and Baruch. I would add CMU to it also.

Do any of you read the first post?

I just want to know in terms of placement, what are the top 3?

In terms of placement, this should be easy to identify. If a university doesn't post placement numbers, they are out of the running. Then, look at the ones that publish placement numbers and take it from there.

I'm alternatively annoyed and amused by how people just throwing things around without a sliver of published source to backup their claim.
We all love to believe Stanford, NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Chicago and other well-known names have perfect placement numbers but a look at their website does nothing to bolster that belief.

We are not even talking about how different program reports their numbers. Is 100% based on the number of responses from a survey? Is the number taken at graduation/3 month later or 1 year later?

So I'd like to see more people be more accountable on what they post. Less noise and misinformation is always welcome. If you see someone post ridiculous statements, feel free to ask them to quantify their post.

After all, you are not going to get away with cooked up numbers in this industry.

I'm alternatively annoyed and amused by how people just throwing things around without a sliver of published source to backup their claim.
We all love to believe Stanford, NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Chicago and other well-known names have perfect placement numbers but a look at their website does nothing to bolster that belief.

We are not even talking about how different program reports their numbers. Is 100% based on the number of responses from a survey? Is the number taken at graduation/3 month later or 1 year later?

So I'd like to see more people be more accountable on what they post. Less noise and misinformation is always welcome. If you see someone post ridiculous statements, feel free to ask them to quantify their post.

After all, you are not going to get away with cooked up numbers in this industry.

NYU said everyone but 1 person has been placed.

yes you are right. I didn't mean to throw around names. I remember calling NYU and Rutgers last year to enquire about their placement and they refused to give that information to me. They said it was confidential. I didn't understand that. i always thought when making a decision about what program to attend, you should look at cost, location, quality of education and finally placement. A general perception is whenever a program is placed in top ten in various rankings such as ,US news,BW,FT or QN, you would assume placement is out of the question since they are ranked in the top. Also, another perception is that in branded Universities, employers will come to you rather than you finding them. I remember going to efinancial careers and seeing many statements that they only recruit from top universities. Another problem is that many Universities have outdated placement info, i.e University of Michigan comes to mind

... A general perception is ... you would assume ...

I have posted this before, my old boss used to say, when you assume, you make an ASS of U and ME. Keep that in mind in the future.

I have posted this before, my old boss used to say, when you assume, you make an ASS of U and ME. Keep that in mind in the future.

I first heard that expression from my 5th grade teacher. You'd expect people in industry to have more sophisticated ways of conveying these messages. lol.

Placement will play an important role in our 2011 MFE ranking. The programs can send us the data with the knowledge that it will be confidential and will be used for the ranking only.
That will take care of their worries.

What are their worries?? Unless they're embarrassed by their numbers, I don't see why they wouldn't make their placement rates public. Baruch does.

see, when I chose Baruch, I chose it because I wanted a program to prepare me down the line, not just help me get an entry level job. Although earning a lot would be nice, I rather earn 30k and enjoy what I do than make 100k and regret what I am doing. Many programs also don't have two semesters dedicated to numerical analysis. Also, since Dan knew every students name, I automatically knew that he takes a personal interest in their growth and learning. Hence, Baruch was my choice. Ofcourse, placement info from the website helped a lot in making that decision as well. I took two classes with Dan and one with Dr. Kosygina. I was sold after that. Quality education at a low price. Can't beat that anytime of the day. I think many people define quality in different ways such as higher the cost, higher the quality or more courses means better quality etc or better placement means better quality. I based my decision mainly on how relevant the courses were, the interaction with faculty, interaction with top names in the industry etc.

But I have to agree with what andy and Alain have said. I went to the websites of some of the universities and saw the placement numbers to be very vague many places. CMU many seem to think, including me have excellent placement, but a closer look at their last years placement in their report seems to say otherwise. You have to look at the FINEPRINT.

Although they ALL have some form of placement numbers whether they are good or not is upto the reader.

EDIT: We should build a template of what people would like to know in terms of placement information and Andy can possibly send it to the universities and we can compile the reports here on Quantnet.

Back