• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Trading floor training for MFE students

Prof. Richard Holowczak, PhD, Director of Subotnick Trading Floor at Baruch College will run a special training session for MFE students on 4/26. Instead of PDE class, we will have this special lecture on the trading floor that day. More details will be announced by Prof. Stefanica
As of now, there are several topics Prof. Holowczak would like to present to us but he is open to any special topics we like to learn.
Current topics are develpment of trading software using Interactive Brokers, Bloomberg, Reuters API, use Powerplus Pro to price instruments
Please post here if you have something in mind. The trading floor with its live market feed will be reserved for our use during the workshop.

I'd like to use the tools there to learn more about Forex market.

Andy, do you know at what time the class is going to be?

Are we going to cover only interaction with the different systems?

I would like to see some kind of seminar about Trading Algorithms, entries, exits, that type of thing. It would be would to get some high and low level ideas. Some us have some experience but it is always good to learn something new or different.

I also would like to learn about forex and possibly some basic things about carry trade.

Folks:
A few quick comments / suggestions.
First up - In speaking to a few of you over the last couple of weeks, it would appear there
is a misconception that the Wasserman Trading Floor and Subotnick Center's resources
are somehow reserved for use only by Zicklin students. This is definitely NOT the case!
This was never the intention as far I am concerned. So please consider the Center's
resources your resources.

We host a series of workshops at the Wasserman Trading Floor that are free and open
to any Baruch student. You may find a schedule of those workshops here:
http://newman.baruch.cuny.edu/services/workshops/

If you see a workshop you would like to attend but it is "closed", please
e-mail me (at my baruch.cuny.edu address) and I will get you in.

All of the handouts for our Workshops are posted on Blackboard. To download
them you will need to join the Wasserman Trading Floor "Community" on
Blackboard. Here are the instructions for that 2-minute process:
http://zicklin.baruch.cuny.edu/centers/subotnick/resources/tutorials-and-user-s-guides/

In most cases, when we write the workshop handouts, I try and make it so that students
can follow the material on their own should they care to. So for example, in the workshop handout "Analyzing and Monitoring Foreign Exchange Markets using Reuters 3000 Xtra and
PowerPlus Pro" you can read about the basics of the FX Spot and forward markets (in terms
of how they function and what they are used for), learn how to use the Reuters system to
access spot and forward FX quotes (as well as a host of FX and interest rate derivatives
market data), and finally learn how to bring this data into MS Excel (that's the PowerPlus
Pro part) to build models such as triangular arbitrage and covered interest arbitrage
(note that CIA is one way to conceptualize what goes on in the carry trade).

As you go through these materials (and/or attend the workshops) if you have additional
questions or comments/suggestions on improvements I would be happy to hear from you.

Cheers,

Prof .H.

I also need to note that Prof. Holowczak showed me the back room behind the trading floor. I always thought it's some kind of operational, private "member-only" room but he was quick to say that it's open to all students, specially MFE students.

You have 2 dozen terminals in there with the same kind of software as on the trading floor. This would be ideal for us to develop some trading strategy there. We can use it as our study room if need be.

You mean the Baruch "boiler room?"
I'm not sure of what kind of shaky bonds you cold-called your clients from that room so I'll not call it "boiler room" just yet. ;)
Hopefully we can get together in that room some time this summer and investigate more about the market. I'll need lot of help from your technical analysis expertise, Christian.
If we can come up with something good there, I'll call it "boiler room" :)

It's the "donation boiler room." I meet in there every week for our Portfolio Management Club meetings, and I can't help feeling like I'm sitting in the JT Marlin office.

I'll definitely help with the technical analysis, let me know when you want to meet up. I'm sure we can both teach each other a lot in our respective areas of interest.

I'm really happy that so many people are liking the articles. I've really gotten some good responses, and even had people tell me that they are making money from these techniques. I feel like a mother watching her baby take its first step. Heartwarming.. :)

It's the "donation boiler room." I meet in there every week for our Portfolio Management Club meetings, and I can't help feeling like I'm sitting in the JT Marlin office.

I'll definitely help with the technical analysis, let me know when you want to meet up. I'm sure we can both teach each other a lot in our respective areas of interest.

I'm really happy that so many people are liking the articles. I've really gotten some good responses, and even had people tell me that they are making money from these techniques. I feel like a mother watching her baby take its first step. Heartwarming.. :)

is there a "Portfolio Management Club? When can I join? where?

I like to get some quick introduction on Bloomberg API and Reuters API. I also like to see a quick intro on how to use Excel to interface with those datafeed to get market data.

dynamic-data linking. I dont utilize it fully at work b/c our systems are old but its great. Reuters has a great way to interface with Excel.

Folks:
I just posted a thread giving a basic intro to the Wasserman Trading Floor / Subotnick Center resources. It would be great if you all could read that prior to Thursday's class session.
https://www.quantnet.com/threads/resources-at-baruchs-wasserman-trading-floor-subotnick-center.414/

Cheers,

Prof. H.

Back