• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What books are you currently reading?

Is Machine Learning for Hackers worth reading?
depends. It's like an introduction and it gets you familiar with tricks and applications of R in Machine Learning, data manipulation and graphing with ggplot2.

depends. It's like an introduction and it get's you familiar with tricks and applications of R in Machine Learning, data manipulation and graphing with ggplot2.

I think I'll give it a try, though I'll probably to see if I can replace R with Python.

Actually, I just took a look at the other book, Machine Learning in Action, and that looks like a better choice for now, given that I want a Python approach to ML.

Thanks!

I'm going through Schaum's outline of calculus, lol. Seriously! I haven't touched calculus since 2008.

Financial Modeling Under Non-Gaussian Distributions by Jondeau et al for my risk analysis course. It's a pretty good book and I can recommend it for your bookshelf. The writing is clear, as is the math. The exposition is descriptive, without lots of proofs (for those who like proofs, be warned). Obviously non-Gaussian distributions are the heart of the matter when it comes to dealing with financial data, so this is a good reference.

I'm going through Schaum's outline of calculus, lol. Seriously! I haven't touched calculus since 2008.

Schaum's outline is a really great book for calculus, I ended up picking it up this past semester for roughly $2.00 on amazon, can't beat it!

Currently reading Principles of Financial Engineering, great entry level book into the field.

Fixed Income Securities by Pietro Veronesi
Analysis of Financial Time Series by Ruey Tsay
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

I've generally found you have to make time for it. I read on average about 3 books a week in the 300 page, paperback range. Obviously larger books (like the Norman Davies one mentioned above) take a little longer.
I generally read a night and on the weekends.

A lot of people waste their time during the commute. They flip through their newspaper or stare at their phone when they've clearly lost interest. I read The Economist in the morning commute and a sci-if novel in the evening commute.

Recent reading:

Schiller, irrational exuberance (finally!)
Zelazny, Lord of Light
M. Jackson, Whiskey: the definitive world guide

I am reading (and coding) "Differential Evolution" by Price et al.

DE is for global optimisation and is based on mutation, crossover and selection of the Darwin theory.

It's very interesting and robust stuff.

Back