• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

what's the skill set for asset management?

i was told that asset management was less programming intensive but involved more statistics/probabilities, at least interview-wise. Is that true? Thx.

So Ken, which course between Advanced Statistic or PDE provides a useful background to work in Asset Management?

Thanks.

For asset management, I'd say statistics. I've had dozens of Markowitz -type conversations with our AM people. I can't remember ever talking about PDEs. Besides, many asset managers will shy away from derivatives beyond simple swaps.

I think it depends on what sort of positions. If you go for the big asset managers like Blackrock they basically have several departments like a bank and need all sorts of skill sets like developers, research, operations, etc etc. But the focus does seem to be more global macro then quant trading.

The smaller firms, definitely would focus more on a nice overall skill set which should include strong understanding of capital markets and optimization, statistics, macro economics and so on.

Back