• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

When all else fails...

Sanket Patel

i do stuff
n5200430_50529459_418624.jpg

You've got to be kidding. Are things this bad in the quant profession in the USA?

I've heard rumors that a candidate was asked to prove that (f(N_t)) is in fact a sub-martingale, where (f(N_t)) is the amount of fun a person has had after (n)attractions.

You've got to be kidding. Are things this bad in the quant profession in the USA?

Things are pretty bad now, but not as much as Sanket or Eugene picture them :)
There are still jobs out there. Market is worse than last year or 2 years ago, but the problem is with the actual decline rate.
One thing is a smooth drop from 100 -> 20 in 5 years, another thing is a steep drop from 100 -> 20 in 9 months or less

So basically, some people that planned their short-term goals (1-2 years at most) are now in a completely different position. This was unimaginable before 07 ...

At least the internship is paid! :D

The downside of working at Disney is the you have to repeat "have a magical day" to the customers all day! I'm not kidding, at breakfast, at lunch, at dinner and all other times in between. ...... so for the interview just practice the "have a magical day" in a few languages and along with your newly minted MFE you will be hired on the spot!

:) to save you some research time, in Greek translation is " na ehete magiki mera".

This is deeply depressing. Everyone in the Baruch MFE program (as in other leading MFE programs) has an IQ of at least 140. That such trained and intelligent people should be reduced to repeating mindless nonsense like this is upsetting. What has the modern world come to?

You know, I'm thinking you're missing both the humor and the joke behind this, as well as the fact that this was advertised at Baruch - also an undergrad institution and not necessarily in the MFE department.

Just saying...

If Stefan Zota's figures are correct, the humor is a bit too close to the truth to laugh at. You can call it "gallows humor" if you wish. Two years ago it would just have been a silly joke.

As you know, it is very hard to provide figures especially now. There is no centralized positions index for employers. It is just my estimate from talking to different people. I am sure that other users will have a different perception.
Several areas are still active, however the competition is acerbic.
For many positions, an entry level competes with experienced quant. Again this would have been the exception rather than the rule prior to 07 ...

In the end, many people, including myself, have the conviction that things will clear up. Quants would need to put some order in some of corporate finance mess. We will rise like the Phoenix;)

I think I'm going to apply. I've practiced all day, and I think I've gotten pretty good at saying "Have a magical day."

Maybe if I work my *** off, someday they'll let me compute greeks on American options with Monte Carlo.

The American Dream starts now.

I think I'm going to apply. I've practiced all day, and I think I've gotten pretty good at saying "Have a magical day."

Maybe if I work my *** off, someday they'll let me compute greeks on American options with Monte Carlo.

The American Dream starts now.

American Dream = price American options following a random mouse walk?

Bigbadwolf.... We are kidding, really, Baruch students have a sense of humor and no one is moving to Orlando to work for Mickey just yet.

I did see many German tourists when I was in Disney this January so just in case,
"haben Sie einen magischen Tag"

This is deeply depressing. Everyone in the Baruch MFE program (as in other leading MFE programs) has an IQ of at least 140. That such trained and intelligent people should be reduced to repeating mindless nonsense like this is upsetting. What has the modern world come to?

The mordern world has not come to anything, it is just ephemeral.

Back