• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Where to buy a SUIT

Just get a 100% wool suit and have it tailored. Unless the suit canvassed and/or custom made you really are just paying for a name. I have suits ranging from Banana Republic, Hugo Boss, to RL Black Label and prefer the cheaper ones to the more expensive ones. I've since learned and will avoid the name brands.

IMO, if you are SA and have a slim budget go to JAB and get the suit tailored somewhere else or buy a preworn suit. You can find them in thrift stores or on EBAY. Tailoring is what makes the difference. If you can't spend and buy a suit you will have for your life you might as well spend as little and just get it fit.

Also don't forget how important the rest of the outfit is. Shoes, shirt and tie can make a cheap suit look great and an expensive suit look like crap.

If you only have $500 bucks to spend I would get a suit for $250 and buy some Allen Edmonds.

I recently did a lot of research on custom suit and decide to go with blacklapel for custom suit. The service is amazing and the material are also quite good (half canvas, only using super 110's and up, bemberg lining, etc...).

The first suit I ordered from them didn't fit well and the jacket had a small defect. I was quite disappointed but as soon as I explained my problems to them, they offer to redo the whole at no additional charge. Now, I have a suit that fit me perfectly and that is of good quality.

Since most of you are from NY, I think you can go meet them in person and they can show you sample of fabrics and help you with the measurements. I really recommend going with them.

Btw, the turnaround time is 3 weeks or less for any suits.

www.blacklapel.com

Well, I am done. I'll post my review here and likely copy-paste to Yelp.

Store: MySuit Madison Avenue 46/47th

The Suit
Quality: 8/10
Fit: 10/10
Style: 10/10

Now on to the store review
First visit: You walk in and are greated by friendly sales staff. They offer you a cold Poland Spring. Every time. So I figure thats $3 off my suit ;). The first time you pick a fabric and then they spend 1 hour measuring every part of your body. They literally measure your fingers. They then input all of that data into a computer under your account name. You than spend about 15 minutes designing your suit: Lapels, buttons, pockets, lining, custom name tag, etc. They then set a date in 2 weeks for you to come back

2nd visit: You come in and are offered a cold Poland Spring. You accept. You are given your suit to try on. How about that! Your left leg is .5 inches longer than your right! And the back looks a tad saggy. Other then that you feel like you deserve to be GQ's poster boy. They pin you up and tell you to return in 2 days.

3rd visit: You return and try on the suit and vow to shop nowhere else. The suit fits and looks amazing. They send you on your way with a very cool fold-up suit bag so that the suit doesn't drag.

Future: From now on you can go online, log in, and just choose your fabric and customizations. The suit will show up at your door with a perfect fit. Very cooool! Can't wait for my birthday: I told my wife about this ;)

P.S. They also custom shirts for those big-necked folks.

Thanks for the review MRoss. I had been scoping out the mySuit located downtown for a while and will definitely check it out next time I am suit shopping.

Why did you give 8/10 for the suit quality. Is there any thing wrong with it?

Why did you give 8/10 for the suit quality. Is there any thing wrong with it?

Not so far, no. But first of all they do offer a more expensive model with better fabric, and I know there are better quality suits out there, though they likely cost double and will not fit as well. I just never give 10s. Ever.

So what is the final cost and what you get?
Charcoal grey suit, custom made. I literally cannot count the compliments I got when I wore it this week. Burgundy tie from Brooks Brothers, blue shirt from Brooks Brothers. Everything brand new and crisp.

Suit, custom + tailoring: $500 + tax
Tie: $78+tax
Shirt: $88 +tax
Shoes: $69+tax (DSW, Steve Madden black slip on no buckle)
Belt: $20 Marshalls (Nautica)
-----------------------------------------
$755+tax

Don't think you can go wrong with my choice: Charcoal suit and yellow/blue or burgundy/blue tie.

Charcoal or dark navy 3 button suits are the best for interviews. Avoid the brown belt/shoe combo for interviews. Stick to black belt and shoes. Shirt should always be white. Simple ties without too much patterning and too many colours (max 2 colours).

Oh, and buy some decent shoes. MRoss's shoes sound revolting. You want some hand-made English leather shoes with laces. Avoid anything slip-on like the plague. Church's, or if on a budget something like Loakes e.g. http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=7&shoeid=237

Also, FYI when I was in the program at baruch I had a beige no name suit. I wore that to almost every interview. I think it was like $199 for the whole thing from a small store in Canada. I wouldn't have ever been able to afford $500 for a suit.

You wore a beige suit to job interviews and still got hired? Jesus H. Christ.

Charcoal or dark navy 3 button suits are the best for interviews. Avoid the brown belt/shoe combo for interviews. Stick to black belt and shoes. Shirt should always be white. Simple ties without too much patterning and too many colours (max 2 colours).

Oh, and buy some decent shoes. MRoss's shoes sound revolting. You want some hand-made English leather shoes with laces. Avoid anything slip-on like the plague. Church's, or if on a budget something like Loakes e.g. http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=7&shoeid=237

Are hand-made shoes still made in England?(?) Church and Allen Edmonds are good.

If anyone interested in buying a/pair of suit, check out @ Jos.A.Bank. In my opinion,their suits are not bad at all.

They are having a deal now, if you buy a suit for $845, you will get additional $1000 store credit. I used that to buy hand-made- Allen Edmonds as well.

Are hand-made shoes still made in England?(?) Church and Allen Edmonds are good.

They are made in USA. I was told that "You should go to England to buy made in England"

If anyone interested in buying a/pair of suit, check out @ Jos.A.Bank. In my opinion,their suits are not bad at all.

They are having a deal now, if you buy a suit for $845, you will get additional $1000 store credit. I used that to buy hand-made- Allen Edmonds as well.

They are made in USA. I was told that "You should go to England to buy made in England"

If you are in London just off Carnaby Street has some good shops. Allen Edmonds last a lifetime if taken care of but it can be difficult to find a shoemaker who can stitch soles.

It's not always about what you wear but how you present what you are wearing.
Actually it is how you present yourself. Look, someone wearing a purple suit might get a job if he proves exceptional knowledge and that he has a stellar personality. The reason people wear "interview attire" is so that they don't get instantly placed into a category based on first impression. So they wear a boring traditional suit so that they are the "same" as everyone else until proven otherwise. I have a friend who got a job at a top bank wearing a ridiculous bright pin stripped suit.

It's not always about what you wear but how you present what you are wearing.

It doesn't matter how you present a beige suit; it is still repulsive. Do you still wear that beige suit now you have a job? Do any of your colleagues wear a beige suit?

Back