• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2017 QuantNet Rankings of Financial Engineering (MFE) Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
CMU and Baruch seem equal to me. I can't really identify or pin point the edge that CMU allegedly has over Baruch. Both are also not quite well-known schools worldwide.
It's Berkeley and Princeton who have the clear edge in this area -- both are superior programs, most selective, most sought-after grads and have the highest average salary rate of graduates.

It's Princeton and Berkeley that are the kings in this field.

There's another ranking conducted by TFE Times:

2017 Best Financial Engineering Program Rankings

Berkeley is ranked 1 there too, while Baruch is ranked 19! Most of the other top programs seem common. They have a separate ranking for MS Finance, so some programs such as Princeton/MIT do not appear here.

The methodology seems similar in terms of factors considered and weights assigned:
  • 30% Mean GRE/GMAT Scores
  • 25% Mean Starting Salary and Bonus
  • 15% Mean Undergraduate GPA
  • 15% Acceptance Rate
  • 10% Full Time Graduates Employed at Graduation
  • 5% Full Time Graduates Employed 3 Months after Graduation
Wonder what's going on!

There's another ranking conducted by TFE Times:

2017 Best Financial Engineering Program Rankings

Berkeley is ranked 1 there too, while Baruch is ranked 19! Most of the other top programs seem common. They have a separate ranking for MS Finance, so some programs such as Princeton/MIT do not appear here.

The methodology seems similar in terms of factors considered and weights assigned:
  • 30% Mean GRE/GMAT Scores
  • 25% Mean Starting Salary and Bonus
  • 15% Mean Undergraduate GPA
  • 15% Acceptance Rate
  • 10% Full Time Graduates Employed at Graduation
  • 5% Full Time Graduates Employed 3 Months after Graduation
Wonder what's going on!
The factors are similar but the weights are considerably different. The "TFE Times" assigns 60% of its weight to things students do BEFORE they enter the program. More than 50% without attending MFE!! That's why I pay almost no attention to it.

If I look at this https://www.quantnet.com/2017-mfe-programs-rankings-methodology/, the QN survey only assigns 25% of its weight to what the students have done before coming into graduate school.

At the end of the day, the utility of your degree is just a function of the distance of the best applicant and your current position in the queue of applicants. Smaller the distance, more happier you will be! :)

At the end of the day, the utility of your degree is just a function of the distance of the best applicant and your current position in the queue of applicants. Smaller the distance, more happier you will be! :)
Please explain because it's not making too much sense.

IMO, the utility of your degree is what it gives you and what you can do with it. The best applicant does absolutely nothing for you.

Please explain because it's not making too much sense.

He was just trying to be 'quant-tish' in his comment on the topic but wasn't successful. Lol.

Reason 1: I can think of other things which isn't your degree that puts your resume ahead of others. Those things being Olympiad medals, publications, work experience, live track record, brand name of previous employers.

Reason 2: Utility of a degrees isn't JUST drawing the attention of HR. In the domain of quant position, I do believe in your two semesters of time series analysis, you actually GAINED knowledge in time series analysis. Even if you can pick the topic up coming from real analysis, knowledge and experience working with ARMA in an academic setting surely made you internalize those concepts.

Reason 3: I doubt there's a link between your chances of getting an interview and happiness. Arguably, the relationship should be the more ahead you are in the resume pile, the more likely you are getting called for an interview.

Berkeley MFE #1! We all knew that to be true, good to hear it is now official ;)

Using "back door" is not fair for the rest of candidates/students from other programs...but helps the Baruch MFE with the ranking...?
I am glad to see the others programs have not done it!

What do you mean fair? There is nothing fair about a job interview as far as I know.
I think it's smart to have an person with a vast network of job contacts that can help push the process along. Probably all the schools should do the same.

If you are upset about this, it does suck for you.

What's your claim? This person has contacts inside Morgan Stanley and she is moving the process along? That's very smart! The other programs should learn from this.

If you are claiming some sort of corruption or breaking the law, those are bigger claims big boy and you better get ready to back them up.

I met Sara when interviewing with MS, and I know from other colleagues that she was great at her job. When I read your post, I actually was sorry UCB MFE did not hire her. Good for Baruch.

Back to ranking - Berkeley #1! After winning the IAFE competition every year, makes perfect sense ;)

Please people stop promoting Baruch. It is NOT a top program. It is 2nd-tier, at best.

Berkeley and Princeton are the leaders of MFE or Master's level finance program. They're both world-class and globally famous schools.

When talking about top or number 1, it's a toss between Berkeley and Princeton. Period.

"
Please keep my name out of your posts. I am the person who was hired at Baruch and I am more than happy to discuss with you any concerns you have, since you clearly seem to have a vested interest in putting my INTEGRITY into question given your recent calls, posts, etc. I'm happy to discuss whatever is keeping you up at night, but this has gotten out of hand and you are making quite a few BASELESS, BOLD AND UNEDUCATED claims and I would very much appreciate you leaving my name out of your imaginary claims. Happy Thanksgiving."

Dear Sara.... you "open the doors' to so many discussions, however due to the respect i have for Prof. Stefanica, I will only add:

" If I post a status and you "automatically" assume it is about you..don't blame your guilty conscience on me"!

Please people stop promoting Baruch. It is NOT a top program. It is 2nd-tier, at best.

Berkeley and Princeton are the leaders of MFE or Master's level finance program. They're both world-class and globally famous schools.

When talking about top or number 1, it's a toss between Berkeley and Princeton. Period.
Baruch might not be a top school (or popular internationally) for a lot of majors but when it comes to Financial Engineering, MFE in particular, I would say it's up there. Maybe 1 or 2 or 3 but definitely somewhere in the top 3.

This kind of behavior is weird (in an elitist way) to be honest. It's like Baruch being great somehow overshadows Princeton, Berkeley, or CMU. What kind of logic is that? Where is it coming from?

Maybe in a world, in which, we equate quality with $$$, then I guess Baruch's cost does not make sense: $35k vs CMU/Berkeley/Princeton @ twice that at least.

How can Baruch be a great program if it is priced at half what the historically great colleges have estimated their degree to be worth? There must be something amiss... Conspiracy! <-- this guy sounds a bit like a Trump supporter lol

Maybe Baruch kinda shows it's possible to deliver great education, and great industry placements without making you pay twice. Maybe Ivy League universities inflate the cost of the education they provide based solely on their brand name? Everything I'm saying is nothing new, and you don't have to read 15 books to wrap your mind around the concept " (money or brand) =! value "

tbh, i don't consider $24k in-state tuition for a city college is cheap in absolute terms... it's relatively cheap compared to other outrageous fees charged by other schools.

"tbh, i don't consider $24k in-state tuition for a city college is cheap in absolute terms... it's relatively cheap compared to other outrageous fees charged by other schools."

I don't understand why Gre quant takes so much weight (15%) in student selectivity sector (25% or so). Gre quant is nowhere near the quant skills required for MFE programs. Why are we still putting so much weight on it. Undergra GPA, acceptance rate and gre quant scores should at least split the percentage that student selectivity is given.

I don't understand why Gre quant takes so much weight (15%) in student selectivity sector (25% or so). Gre quant is nowhere near the quant skills required for MFE programs. Why are we still putting so much weight on it. Undergra GPA, acceptance rate and gre quant scores should at least split the percentage that student selectivity is given.
That's a question for Admissions.

Theoretically, the GRE score is the only thing that equalizes candidates that apply to a given school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back