• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2017 QuantNet Rankings of Financial Engineering (MFE) Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a question for Admissions.

Theoretically, the GRE score is the only thing that equalizes candidates that apply to a given school.
No one cares about GRE score - everyone goes to these programs for a job. To that end Baruch etc. are good for people who want to go from $70k > $120k. Princeton etc. are good for people who want to go from $100k > $$$.

Beyond that, who really cares? You'll never be asked about your GRE score / GPA / trading competitions in industry.

No one cares about GRE score - everyone goes to these programs for a job. To that end Baruch etc. are good for people who want to go from $70k > $120k. Princeton etc. are good for people who want to go from $100k > $$$.

Beyond that, who really cares? You'll never be asked about your GRE score / GPA / trading competitions in industry.
Schools seem to care. No one cares about it after you leave school. The ranking is talking about GRE in the context of school admissions.

'The Ranking' seems to be trying to capture quality of program. If you want to talk about anything in the context of what schools care about, that would probably be an entirely different rank order. But I don't think anyone consulting this ranking cares about quality of admits or admissions process - they care about quality of program. And quality of program seems to be inexorably linked to post-graduation compensation.

Maybe I'm just being overly focused on comp, but that's the only thing I would care about.

I don't understand why Gre quant takes so much weight (15%) in student selectivity sector (25% or so). Gre quant is nowhere near the quant skills required for MFE programs. Why are we still putting so much weight on it. Undergra GPA, acceptance rate and gre quant scores should at least split the percentage that student selectivity is given.
if you can't handle gre quant (because it's easy as you put it), then getting low grade there should indicate that the student might not be fit for the rigorous program

Hello,

I do not see RITs computational finance program listed here. How can we know whether it was considered for ranking or not. If not then can anyone comment about it

GRE scores helps the programs with higher % of fresh out of undergrad students and/or Asian populations look good. AKA helps Baruch narrow the gap with schools like Berkley

GRE scores helps the programs with higher % of fresh out of undergrad students and/or Asian populations look good. AKA helps Baruch narrow the gap with schools like Berkley
Bingo. Though I guess these rankings are made for kids straight out of undergrad who have no clue about finance. For anyone already working in the industry, they don't need rankings to tell them to go Berkeley or Princeton.

I don't understand why Gre quant takes so much weight (15%) in student selectivity sector (25% or so). Gre quant is nowhere near the quant skills required for MFE programs. Why are we still putting so much weight on it. Undergra GPA, acceptance rate and gre quant scores should at least split the percentage that student selectivity is given.

USNews does the same for GMAT scores and MBA rankings. There is good scholarships to get if you have a high GMAT, a couple of classmates did very well with high GMAT.

Bingo. Though I guess these rankings are made for kids straight out of undergrad who have no clue about finance. For anyone already working in the industry, they don't need rankings to tell them to go Berkeley or Princeton.

Cool to see Berkeley number 1!

Dear all, I'm a bit surprised not to see Stony Brook Quantitative Finance program in the list.
Could you please tell me the procedure to be included in your ranking?
This program is highly selective, yet with about 80 Master and PhD students, with a strong focus on statistics and data analysis and a very high mathematical level.
Our employment rate is also very good.
Thank you very much,
Raphael Douady
Frey Chair of Quantitative Finance, Stony brook University.

Dear all, I'm a bit surprised not to see Stony Brook Quantitative Finance program in the list.
Could you please tell me the procedure to be included in your ranking?
This program is highly selective, yet with about 80 Master and PhD students, with a strong focus on statistics and data analysis and a very high mathematical level.
Our employment rate is also very good.
Thank you very much,
Raphael Douady
Frey Chair of Quantitative Finance, Stony brook University.

In the fall of 2014, you taught at NYU Poly Financial Engineering and abruptly left right before midterms.

Why?

Dear "Apollo", I'll be glad to discuss this matter on a private basis. I hope that you could efficiently benefit from Frederic Siboulet's lectures, who took over the course.

State university usually does way better than city university in all times. Financial engineering/ Quant Finance has no difference as it has become more complex than ever. City U can do analytics, but they have lacking resources for this kind. Stony Brook has heavy math, computer, sciences and research capacities at its disposal. Hedge fund like Renaissance is one of the kinds. To Raphael, many people in SBU and folks on the street would miss Rachev Zari and his partnership with SBU so much. He was the best lead and best expert I have ever seen. His children also run BISAM which adopted the pioneered company, FinAnalytica. Many would hope Stony Brook was able to provide him leading position as Chair, Co-director or even beyond in the future.

PS: This site was "controlled" by Baruch and the recent funding cut from the New York State level will definately not help the program. Haha.

Last edited:
PS: This site was "controlled" by Baruch and the recent funding cut from the New York State level will definately not help the program. Haha.

I think you are mistaken. Baruch MFE seems to work as a separate entity.

Care to elaborate? I don't see how state funding would affect it -- professional masters programs are typically not expense sinks. Pre-MFE program brings in additional revenue. The full-time faculty headcount is low and I think it's fair to assume the adjunct professors are not getting rich teaching the program. The Baruch campus is also not sprawling over many acres like most other campuses, so there are cost savings there as well. There's also no expensive science research labs and equipment to maintain.

Care to elaborate? I don't see how state funding would affect it -- professional masters programs are typically not expense sinks. Pre-MFE program brings in additional revenue. The full-time faculty headcount is low and I think it's fair to assume the adjunct professors are not getting rich teaching the program. The Baruch campus is also not sprawling over many acres like most other campuses, so there are cost savings there as well. There's also no expensive science research labs and equipment to maintain.
repeat after me boys: masters programs are cash cows for these schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back