• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2017 QuantNet Rankings of Financial Engineering (MFE) Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool to be in Nederland, reach to WSJ and The U.S.A. I am glad I am not your student.

Times Higher Education over Baruch
Subject Ranking 2015-2016: physical sciences top 100

World University Rankings 2016-2017 by subject: business and economics

World University Rankings 2016-2017 by subject: social sciences

USNews

Goldman Sachs Student Challenge

BNP Paribas Global Competition

Wow... forgetting about it. We are full of medals and resources and we should be gracious to give you a chance to steal tranquilizer from some overseas students or disappearing traders as you traveled so far and tried so hard.

Cool to be in Nederland, reach to WSJ and The U.S.A. I am glad I am not your student.

Times Higher Education over Baruch
Subject Ranking 2015-2016: physical sciences top 100

World University Rankings 2016-2017 by subject: business and economics

World University Rankings 2016-2017 by subject: social sciences

USNews

Goldman Sachs Student Challenge

BNP Paribas Global Competition

Wow... forgetting about it. We are full of medals and resources and we should be gracious to give you a chance to steal tranquilizer from some overseas students or disappearing traders as you traveled so far and tried so hard.
i didn't see any Financial Engineering in any of those links so it doesn't matter

Peer Assessment Score (20%)
Each program was asked to rate the 30 programs in the 2017 QuantNet MFE Programs Rankings from 1 (marginal) to 5 (exceptional).
Is this survey reliable enough to be put as 20%?

Placement Success (55%)
  • Employment Rate at Graduation (10%)
    This is the employment rate for the latest graduate cohort at their graduation.
  • Employment Rate Three Months after Graduation (15%)
    This is the employment rate for the latest graduate cohort 3-month after their graduation.

• I think nowadays it's not the matter of finding a job. It's the matter of knowing about what you want to do and get what you want. Thus putting 25% of employment rate makes no sense to those top programs.
  • Starting Salary (20%)
    The average starting salaries (exclude bonuses) of the most recent graduate cohort.

• Exclude bonus would be unfair to those programs less quantitative oriented?

• Employer Survey Score (10%)
    Employers were surveyed to identify which of the 30 programs in the 2017 ranking whose graduates they have interviewed or hired from within the last two years.

• What kind of employers? Bank? Funds? Trading shop? Risk? Quant? Trading? AM?
Student selectivity (25%)

• GRE Scores (15%)
    This is the average ETS GRE quantitative scores of students accepted in the most recent incoming cohort.

• Who cares GRE score?
  • Undergraduate GPA (7.5%)
    This is the average undergraduate grade-point average of those most recent incoming cohort of the program.

• Is it on average harder to get good GPA from more selective colleges?

• Acceptance Rate (2.5%)
    This is the percent of applicants to the program who were accepted.

• To me this part is the most import, especially for the fact that these programs are accepting the same pool of students. It has only 2.5%, meanwhile, GRE has 15%. 6 times.
Overall score

A score for each program is accumulated from the points in each category multiplied by the category's assigned weighted average. The final scores were rounded to the nearest integer. A tie is determined if any two or more programs have the same final score and tied programs are listed alphabetically.

Programs that did not provide enough data will be denoted as NR (not ranked).

First, It's good to have this kind of ranking to help students better understand the programs and thanks for Quantnet's effort for the past few years. I also benefit a lot from it.

Second, a perfect ranking system just doesn't exist. US news ranked many Chinese University higher than MIT, Stanford, Princeton for Engineering school. Every ranking has its own bias. Thus I just provide some potential opinions on the other side.

Third, it would be helpful to provide more information about those programs, such as the student profile, placement including team and position, curriculum and career services, alumni network. Those are the things students care more than some scores.

Thanks.

Many schools manipulate acceptance rate by inviting unqualified candidates to apply, for the sole purpose of rejecting them to reduce this stat, the others are objective measures of talent among incoming classes that cant be manipulative (except via selectivity).

I do believe people do come for saintly discussion. Unfortunately, we didn't hear much from Baruch.

Currently, Baruch is ranked #290 while its big competitor like Pace is ranked #269.
Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education US college rankings

Baruch is listed #20 but that is below Bentley University and Manhattan College and in USNews Regional Universities North Rankings

Given with many low rankings, it might be surprised to see its b-school ranked in #77 and I once remembered its finance was far beyond the #77 mark in many other well-established rankings.

What are some reasonable rankings might be better as they rank Baruch and the Finance side of Baruch? With many great things done by others, we would love to hear from the Baruch side.;)

Last edited:
I do believe people do come for saint discussion. Unfortunately, we didn't hear much, mostly from the Baruch side.
What does this mean? It is extremely weak English.

We are discussing MFE ranking here, yes?

I do believe people do come for saint discussion. Unfortunately, we didn't hear much, mostly from the Baruch side.
What does this mean? It is extremely weak English.

We are discussing MFE ranking here, yes?

Yes, we are interested in all area of finance. MFE is not such a unicorn. We have brain. Furthermore, I am not interested in your comment. I will give this golden opportunity for Baruch.

I do believe people do come for saintly discussion. Unfortunately, we didn't hear much from Baruch.

Currently, Baruch is ranked #290 while its big competitor like Pace is ranked #269.
Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education US college rankings

Baruch is listed #20 but that is below Bentley University and Manhattan College and in USNews Regional Universities North Rankings

Given with many low rankings, it might be surprised to see its b-school ranked in #77 and I once remembered its finance was far beyond the #77 mark in many other well-established rankings.

What are some reasonable rankings might be better as they rank Baruch and the Finance side of Baruch? With many great things done by others, we would love to hear from the Baruch side.;)
All the rankings that you mentioned are for the university/College as a whole.

Quantnet only ranks MFE programs specifically, nothing more, nothing else. It's in that very niche area that Baruch College program excels.

Last edited:
Can some people explain what you meant by that very niche area?

Can some people explain what you meant by that very niche area?
Here we go. The well known rankings (US News, WSJ, and whatever), take a look at the institution as a whole, all the programs, all the faculties, etc, etc and then proceed to rank the institution.

Quantnet decided to take look at Master in Financial Engineering (MFE) programs (and similar) in the United States. They only concentrate on this specific type of program across the US. They don't look at the whole institution.

If you only look at MFE programs, and you ask around with employers that hired graduates from these programs, you will find out that Baruch MFE has an excellent reputation and it somehow shows up in the ranking.

I'm not keen on the ranking but I have found out the people doing the hiring do like students coming out of Baruch MFE. I think that speaks for itself then.

I'm an undergrad looking at the discussion thread. (so I guess I'm a little more objective than those who belong to one of the programs.)
There is a lot of discussion about whether Baruch should be ranked that high. I don't doubt the program itself at Baruch is very good. one of the top 3! But like many pointed out, the school as a whole does not have as good a reputation as UCB/princeton.
Many Baruch supporters at this point will say "brand doesn't equal value. And it should be overlooked." And for a while, I tried talking to my undergrad prof about Baruch and my colleague's about Baruch, I tried to tell them "it's very good. it's 100% placement rate." But my colleague said "for people who did as much research as you, you know it's one of the best. But people are superficial."
At the end of the day, I would be very happy if I got admitted to Baruch. but I don't know whether current/past baruch students should go around and say "brand doesn't have value." (<- see comment on Page 3)

Last edited:
I'm an undergrad looking at the discussion thread. (so I guess I'm a little more objective than those who belong to one of the programs.)
There is a lot of discussion about whether Baruch should be ranked that high. I don't doubt the program itself at Baruch is very good. one of the top 3! But like many pointed out, the school as a whole does not have as good a reputation as UCB/princeton.
Many Baruch supporters at this point will say "brand doesn't equal value. And it should be overlooked." And for a while, I tried talking to my undergrad prof about Baruch and my colleague's about Baruch, I tried to tell them "it's very good. it's 100% placement rate." But my colleague said "for people who did as much research as you, you know it's one of the best. But people are superficial."
At the end of the day, I would be very happy if I got admitted to Baruch. but I don't know whether current/past baruch students should go around and say "brand doesn't have value." (<- see comment on Page 3)
brand probably has a value but in the World of Quantitative Finance/Financial Engineering, it turns out the value of the Baruch brand is extremely high. You should look at it that way.

You are thinking University brand. That sounds good the the global population. However, the hiring managers in this field will know which brand is good for this specific field.

PS - Unless your undergrad professor came from the industry in the recent past, he/she won't have a clue when it comes to Quant Finance.

Last edited:
brand probably has a value but in the World of Quantitative Finance/Financial Engineering, it turns out the value of the Baruch brand is extremely high. You should look at it that way.

You are thinking University brand. That sounds good the the global population. However, the hiring managers in this field will know which brand is good for this specific field.

PS - Unless your undergrad professor came from the industry in the recent past, he/she won't a clue when it comes to Quant Finance.

PS2 - If you are so concern with brand, go to Harvard. There won't be a bigger brand.

PS2 - If you are so concern with brand, go to Harvard. There won't be a bigger brand.
maybe you are taking things further than what I wrote. I'm simply reacting to a post in Page 3 where there is a comment about "brand != value." I didn't say I'm very concerned with brand. so I don't know where this reaction of Harvard comes from.

Baruch and similar are if you want to be a sell-side quant and top out at $200K.

Princeton and Berkeley are if you actually want to make bank.

Brand == Value

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back