• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2018 QuantNet Rankings of Financial Engineering (MFE) Programs

Why have the acceptance rates not been made public if they factor into the ranking?

I personally think UCLA Anderson's MFE deserves a higher ranking. In the methodology, we do not take into account of qualities of course instructions, which UCLA is very strong at. I have not seen any terrible instructor in this program yet. The student ratings should be in the ranking methodology too.

Why have the acceptance rates not been made public if they factor into the ranking?
We will release more relevant data when appropriate.
I personally think UCLA Anderson's MFE deserves a higher ranking. In the methodology, we do not take into account of qualities of course instructions, which UCLA is very strong at. I have not seen any terrible instructor in this program yet. The student ratings should be in the ranking methodology too.
Thanks for writing a review for the UCLA MFE program. It is much appreciated by everyone. We need more reviews from all programs if we are to take students reviews into account. Some programs have only a handful of reviews despite having hundreds alumni.

We will release more relevant data when appropriate.

Thanks for writing a review for the UCLA MFE program. It is much appreciated by everyone. We need more reviews from all programs if we are to take students reviews into account. Some programs have only a handful of reviews despite having hundreds alumni.

Thank you, Andy! Just a suggestion, we could make an incentive program to encourage people to put in more reviews, such as free or discounted courses on partner websites etc. This way we could get more reviews in the community. We could ask schools to let students register quantnet accounts and put their programs in the account, therefore we can send them reminders to put reviews on the program. Quantnet is our only hope when it comes to students choosing their FE degrees, we want it to be as accurate as possible.

Thank you, Andy! Just a suggestion, we could make an incentive program to encourage people to put in more reviews, such as free or discounted courses on partner websites etc. This way we could get more reviews in the community. We could ask schools to let students register quantnet accounts and put their programs in the account, therefore we can send them reminders to put reviews on the program. Quantnet is our only hope when it comes to students choosing their FE degrees, we want it to be as accurate as possible.

Excellent Ideas. I really hope this forum can be more active.

hey all, I was planning to take a year off to apply to a top 5 mfe program, but I saw that Fordham has a higher average base salary then a lot of the top schools, I was just wondering what do these top schools have over a program the fordham? Thanks in advance

hey all, I was planning to take a year off to apply to a top 5 mfe program, but I saw that Fordham has a higher average base salary then a lot of the top schools, I was just wondering what do these top schools have over a program the fordham? Thanks in advance
I don’t think anyone can answer such a question without any bias. Indeed, very few people have experience in more than one programs for a real comparison. Try to get the answer by yourself. You can start with reading the web sites of the programs and attending their info sesssions.

So, does anyone know why Fordham's salary is so high even when compared to a program like Columbia's MFE?
Just a guess, but maybe they have a preference for more experienced candidates and therefore candidates that will receive higher-level/higher-paying positions upon graduation?

i find the reviews from students just starting the program not very helpful because they typically lack the full time job placement info, which is the most paramount.

So, does anyone know why Fordham's salary is so high even when compared to a program like Columbia's MFE?
I guess it is because many students from Columbia find their jobs in other regions and countries, like China and Hong Kong, while most of the students from Fordham stay in the US. Thus their salaries become lower than which of the ones who stay in the US.

I guess it is because many students from Columbia find their jobs in other regions and countries, like China and Hong Kong, while most of the students from Fordham stay in the US. Thus their salaries become lower than which of the ones who stay in the US.
That doesn't really add up though. How would you explain that 11% (unemployed rate) then? Not employed anywhere (probably not)? I'm curious to know what Fordham's average starting amount would be after taking into consideration that 11% unemployed rate figure.

Georgia Tech has innovative curriculum, excellent placement, and world class engineering resources. It hovers in the top 10 every year, but the peer assessment score still lags. GT beats UChicago & Cornell in nearly every category except peer assessment. These are all of course fantastic programs, but it would be nice if more emphasis was placed on unbiased measures.

I am a grad student in UW's online program.

My experience is that UW's courses are generally not taught by faculty who hold the title of "Assistant Professor" or above. So far, the classes have been taught by faculty who hold the title of "Research Associate," or below.

As far as schools that rank near UW, or below, such as UCLA, Georgia Tech, and others can anyone speak to the experience/title of the faculty members?

Bowen C, what is the title of your instructors? Are they professors or research associates?

Mike Jones, what can you say about the faculty at GA Tech?

Anyone else? I would hope that schools ranking in the Top 10 use professors instead of research associates.

Last edited:
Core courses at columbia are taught by full time prof. Electives are mostly taught by adjuncts

Do the employment statistics for the University of Washington take into account graduates from the online program, or only graduates from the on-campus program?

Screenshot_2018-01-29-15-38-42-179_com.android.chrome.png According to UCB MFE 2017 placement report, 100% (66 out of 66) of the students have offers. But the Quantnet rankings page is only showing the placement success to be 96%.

Last edited:
View attachment 22782 According to UCB MFE 2017 placement report, 100% (66 out of 66) of the students have offers. But the Quantnet rankings page is only showing the placement success to be 96%.
First of all, you looked at the internship stats, not the full-time stats. Also, notice the *ongoing placement at the bottom for FT placement. The number reported to us is correct at the time of reporting.

First of all, you looked at the internship stats, not the full-time stats. Also, notice the *ongoing placement at the bottom for FT placement. The number reported to us is correct at the time of reporting.
BURN!!!

Can you please also publish the ranking of online/part-time programs ?
Many institutions have started online/part-time program for working professions. It would be helpful for all of us
Thanks

Back