• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2019 QuantNet Rankings of Financial Engineering (MFE) Programs

So what’s the point of this rant to make people second guess the rankings and the schools they apply to. If you have a complaint make it straightforward and maybe there can be a solution for your complaints.

The point is to make people second guess the ranking. Also, complaining might be the wrong word. I am telling an open secret. I am ranting because this fraud is still continuing. This is not just about one program. There are more. I don't want people to make their decision solely based on the ranking. This was the mistake I made. The ranking is still a fairly good reference but people should reach out to the current student to find out more about the program. The solution to my "complaints" is simple. List detailed employment statistics on the web. If they are posting employment rate. They should also post how many students are actively seeking a job, how many have offers, and where are they landing. But the question is, do they willing to?

While I'm grateful for the intense interest in the details of NYU Tandon's MFE program, I'm mindful that this thread was meant to discuss rankings, as a thoughtful contributor pointed out. Please contact our dedicated career services office which can provide the color you need. This office provides services for alums such as yourself.

Dear Prospective Applicants...why you need to contact somebody in theirs' office since this information should be available online...right?

CGE, I'm assuming your intense interest in the details of NYU Tandon's MSFE reflects your desire to be accepted as a student. I apologize if we wrongly rejected your application in the past, but you have to understand that with over 1900 applications last year, we have to be highly selective. I'm mindful that this thread is meant to be a general discussion of rankings, and not about the course registration process of our students. If you PM me your email address, I can put you in touch with our students. Alternatively, if your anonymity is as important to you as it seems, you should just switch threads as was suggested.

:);););)
Since I have your attention, and I thank you for that.
Could you tell us how is to register for classes? What is the process, how stressful is for students? Are they all able to take the classes they want to take?

Please everyone see how they try to deflect from the subject....Good luck to all of you and Happy Holidays! ;)

The point is to make people second guess the ranking. Also, complaining might be the wrong word. I am telling an open secret. I am ranting because this fraud is still continuing. This is not just about one program. There are more. I don't want people to make their decision solely based on the ranking. This was the mistake I made. The ranking is still a fairly good reference but people should reach out to the current student to find out more about the program. The solution to my "complaints" is simple. List detailed employment statistics on the web. If they are posting employment rate. They should also post how many students are actively seeking a job, how many have offers, and where are they landing. But the question is, do they willing to?
Yeah everything should be taken with a grain of salt. Obviously if Columbia mfe is ranked over NYU that doesn’t mean ok let’s pick Columbia. This is just something to give people some information about the relatively unknown quant programs. It gives people an idea of where schools are. Like for me I like Fordham but it’s ranked low that doesn’t mean I won’t apply. After you are accepted to xyz program you should contact them with personal concerns and get in touch with alumni to help you pick the best school. In the end of the day a ranking is just another tool to help in your decision. And if you think something is inaccurate contact @Andy Nguyen and I’m sure he’d be more then happy to help you resolve the problem. Ranting with no evidence is not the solution.

Dear Prospective Applicants...why you need to contact somebody in theirs' office since this information should be available online...right?
You want greater transparency on our website, but you won't even reveal your name. Suggesting an appropriate thread is not deflecting; it is being respectful of others.

You want greater transparency on our website, but you won't even reveal your name. Suggesting an appropriate thread is not deflecting; it is being respectful of others.

I don't understand, are you really linking someone revealing their identity to providing clarifying information on career placement statistics?

You brought up the stats that were recently posted, I don't think it's out of line or unreasonable to ask for clarifying information. If you do not wish to provide it publicly, that's fine, nothing wrong with that, and I understand.

Suggesting that if someone wants more information, then they should reveal who they are, however, that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

OMG. I just can't take it anymore. How dare my school is still manipulating the data. 100% employment rate after 3-month graduation??? There are almost ONE-QUARTER students cannot find a job and end up going back to their own country!!! 100K+ average salary???? HOW ON THE EARTH did our career service got this number? I am soooo regret that I believed this manipulated employment data a year ago and rejected a top program. This is more than misleading. This is fraud!!! I STRONGLY advise you to look at the employment data on the school web yourself. Some post detailed employment statistics while some just BRAINLESSLY post 100%.

Also, for a program ranked around 10+. SHAME ON YOU!!! According to my friends in this programs, MORE THAN HALF students end up no job and go back to their country. You shamelessly say you have 90%+ employment rate??? What's wrong with this world???
There are only 5 schools with 100% Employment after 3 month in the Top 20.

• Princeton
  • Columbia FE
  • NYU Courant
  • NC State
  • University of Washington

It won't be Princeton because they have 100% at graduation too. So I guess that takes that one out. So which one of the other four is it?

There are only 5 schools with 100% Employment after 3 month in the Top 20.

• Princeton
  • Columbia FE
  • NYU Courant
  • NC State
  • University of Washington
It won't be Princeton because they have 100% at graduation too. So I guess that takes that one out. So which one of the other four is it?
Unless I’m mistaken only Columbia FE matches the 100k+ and 100% criteria

It was a boring thread until fairly recently which means people either accept the ranking now... or don't give a crap anymore.

It's funny, given how there still isnt much exposure to MFE many employers actually look at this ranking as an evaluation of the program on the resume. There are so many rankings for undergrads MBA etc but i think this is the only MFE one and there is a lot of demand for MFE now across finance that these rankings actually hold some value now.

It's funny, given how there still isnt much exposure to MFE many employers actually look at this ranking as an evaluation of the program on the resume. There are so many rankings for undergrads MBA etc but i think this is the only MFE one and there is a lot of demand for MFE now across finance that these rankings actually hold some value now.
Oh, I believe you. I also know @Andy Nguyen does a great job on compiling this ranking. This year I haven't heard anything about bias which makes me happy. Hopefully, people trust the ranking a little more now.

I don't understand, are you really linking someone revealing their identity to providing clarifying information on career placement statistics?

You brought up the stats that were recently posted, I don't think it's out of line or unreasonable to ask for clarifying information. If you do not wish to provide it publicly, that's fine, nothing wrong with that, and I understand.

Suggesting that if someone wants more information, then they should reveal who they are, however, that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
I'm under the possibly wrong impression that Apollo Chariot is a different person than CGE. I responded to CGE requesting I publicly post info on the course registration process at Tandon in this thread by observing that he or she won't even post their name. I thought I was not replying to Apollo Chariot's request for further details on placement. Now Apollo Chariot's lack of understanding of my reply to CGE suggests the two anonymous posters are the same person. I've been told to not feed the trolls, so I'm stopping here. You win. You are just too clever. You distort the truth, you get kicked off, you come back and distort the truth again. Knock yourself out.

I'm under the possibly wrong impression that Apollo Chariot is a different person than CGE. I responded to CGE requesting I publicly post info on the course registration process at Tandon in this thread by observing that he or she won't even post their name. I thought I was not replying to Apollo Chariot's request for further details on placement. Now Apollo Chariot's lack of understanding of my reply to CGE suggests the two anonymous posters are the same person. I've been told to not feed the trolls, so I'm stopping here. You win. You are just too clever. You distort the truth, you get kicked off, you come back and distort the truth again. Knock yourself out.
I was thinking the same as you.

I asked for clarification on placement statistics for the class of 2018 (post #52).

You replied, saying to contact career services, and declined to provide them, which is perfectly fine. (post #55).

Cge responded to your reply, post 55, in post 62, saying the information should be available online.

You then replied in post 66, suggesting that cge should reveal his/her identity. That's the message I was responding to, in post 68. That's the context of the conversation. The content I was responding to throughout had nothing to do with the course registration process, but was about clarification of placement statistics. There is no lack of understanding on my part.

You lament the distortion of the truth, yet you accuse me of being another person, assert that apparently I have been previously "kicked off" (so previously banned and came back?) and call me a troll. For what? Asking for clarification on placement stats? That's pretty out of line. Given the things I have heard about you, I expected far better.

Last edited:
Yeah everything should be taken with a grain of salt. Obviously if Columbia mfe is ranked over NYU that doesn’t mean ok let’s pick Columbia. This is just something to give people some information about the relatively unknown quant programs. It gives people an idea of where schools are. Like for me I like Fordham but it’s ranked low that doesn’t mean I won’t apply. After you are accepted to xyz program you should contact them with personal concerns and get in touch with alumni to help you pick the best school. In the end of the day a ranking is just another tool to help in your decision. And if you think something is inaccurate contact @Andy Nguyen and I’m sure he’d be more then happy to help you resolve the problem. Ranting with no evidence is not the solution.

I am sure Andy is doing a great job and I agree with you. The rank is a good source to select MFE programs. However, he does not have control over the employment data from each school. It is some programs' fault, not his. How can he fix it? I am NOT here seeking for solutions. Why are you keeping bringing that up? I am here to release an open secret so that people don't make the same mistake I made. "Ranting with no evidence is not the solution" sounds very politically correct. If I have evidence, why would I rant? I am just a student, not FBI. It is simple to find evidence. Stop talking like a lawyer and go out speak with some MFE students. There are more unhappy people like me who regret too. It is an imbalanced world. I don't think Andy or you or any MFE students have the power to solve this data manipulation problem. The best solution is to get in touch with current students and talk to people. We both agree on that.

The bottom line is, I will still rant if I have to. I am telling the truth. Nothing personal. The ranking is a good tool. But for people who put most weights on employment data and salary data into their consideration. Do more research. It's easy for some program director to remove a group of students from the denominator and define them as "Not Actively Seeking for Job".

Last edited:
Back