• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Amazon Kindle for Academia

I find reading books from a lit screen straining on the eyes and am using 3-4 books for each class that I am taking. I am considering using a Kindle instead.

Any opinions on using the DX as a textbook?

Alex (G) has the DX, I like it a lot. I am hoping I can steal his next time.

Ross, if you find 2 cheap, let me know.

Sure, but the Kindle is one of those things you dont find cheap unless they are outdated models... and you know how I feel about that ;)!

Sure, but the Kindle is one of those things you dont find cheap unless they are outdated models... and you know how I feel about that ;)!

I should check amazon warehouse, they have some killer deals

I don't think Amazon is going to update the DX either, it is not a huge seller for them.

I should check amazon warehouse, they have some killer deals

I don't think Amazon is going to update the DX either, it is not a huge seller for them.
You might be right. Especially since they are adding a 7" version - which will have a color screen. Bad move IMHO.

For students the best thing they can do to the DX is:

1) Lower the price. Duh.
2) Touch screen (use Sony's technology - the screen itself is not touch rather it has sensors around the screen. That keeps the eInk quality perfect)
3) Faster processor
...and in 5 years maybe tech will be far enough along that they will be able to add a Wacom board making it an outstanding note-taking device as well. Once we're dreaming...

But that's a tablet right?

I have a Kindle DX if somebody wants it, I'm selling it. PM me.

Yes. Rule of the world: Most people are ignorant. Barnes sells a "nook" which is essentially a very weak tablet as an eReader. It is an eReader just as much as a laptop is. AKA - it's not. An eReader is a tablet device not based on an operating system that serves one function: as an electronic book. The best way to do that well is by replacing traditional LCD displays with eInk. Of course, since man is ignorant most people complain and whine saying "well Apple's iPad is color..." Exactly. Thats why I don't use an Ipad for reading.

I have a Sony and it's awesome for novels. However, the 5" screen is way too limiting for textbooks.

So, anyone else has a Kindle DX and wishes to share their academic experiences with it?

I have a Kindle DX and an IPad. I thought I was going to be using the Kindle DX more becuase the IPad taxes your eyes. I don't use it as much as I thought I was going to use it. It's better than the iPad for reading and the battery lasts forever but I use the ipad to do a lot of things and carrying 2 "readers" is inconvenient.

I have a Kindle DX, and I would say that it is good for eyes. It is really convenient if you have to travel a lot. I used to read books/documents using a Netbook, and it hurts my eyes, can't focus for a long time and ultimately gave up every time I tried to read something. Thumbs up for Kindle :)

You know you will just sell it after a week.

Back