• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Anything from Stanford MCF ?

imo yall need to stop stressing about the application page. A lot of the time it seems like small changes don’t mean much. We’ll get an email when acceptances are out, we don’t even know if a change indicates admission. But mine still has the checklist too

imo yall need to stop stressing about the application page. A lot of the time it seems like small changes don’t mean much. We’ll get an email when acceptances are out, we don’t even know if a change indicates admission. But mine still has the checklist too
A lot of programs don't send out an email at all... I've got silent decision from CMU SCS in the past. But yeah, the checklist is still there; even today seems dicy now.

A lot of programs don't send out an email at all... I've got silent decision from CMU SCS in the past. But yeah, the checklist is still there; even today seems dicy now.
Really - I wasn’t aware of that. I’ve received emails from all I have personally applied to, so that’s my misunderstanding

Nah, it seems that both rej and ad would have the disappearance, as far as I see from the last year's thread. Yet, since everyone's checklist has not changed, I guess tomorrow is the decision day.

based on 4 of my friends' experience, checklist disappear means you will get decision (accepted/rejected/waitlisted) in 1 day.

I think I am admitted, I have a button can setup Stanford ID
Congrats! Would be great to hear about your background.

I am really wondering what are their admission criteria especially for international applicants with professional experience.

GRE>330 - done, CFA - done, investment bank roles - done. Yet it appears that it is way easier to get into MBA at Stanford rather than MCF. Perhaps need to redo undergrad for flawless GPA….what the hell do they need?!

I am really wondering what are their admission criteria especially for international applicants with professional experience.

GRE>330 - done, CFA - done, investment bank roles - done. Yet it appears that it is way easier to get into MBA at Stanford rather than MCF. Perhaps need to redo undergrad for flawless GPA😅
You can find my background in the Tracker, but I only have internship experience. I believe a GPA (like 3.8+/4) will be enough, I think they care more about your fits to their program.

GRE>330 - done, CFA - done, investment bank roles - done. Yet it appears that it is way easier to get into MBA at Stanford rather than MCF. Perhaps need to redo undergrad for flawless GPA….what the hell do they need?!
oh trust me, MBA admissions aren't a walk in the park. As adhoc as MFE admissions might seem, MBAs are even worse. They most definitely would put more weight on your "intangibles". Stanford and Harvard MBAs are notoriously hard to get into. First of all, a significant portion of their seats each year have been allocated to rich kids. Then they like taking in people with some unconventional backgrounds (veterans, Olympic medalists for example). Then there are the target employers (think McKinsey, Goldman Sachs). As a normal candidate, you are fighting for what's left.

I was frustrated like you a few weeks ago too, when I still hadn't heard anything from the five top 10 programs (excl. top 2 which I didn't even bother with) I applied to. I even got rejected by Imperial College in the UK.

My profile is: GPA 3.90; GRE 339; CFA; FRM; asset management fund analytics and macro research experience; got As or A+s in graduate real analysis and graduate probability courses. I didn't expect to get into Princeton, Stanford or Baruch, but not even ONE of the other top 10? I was very frustrated too.

But I spoke to a friend who studied PhD in a fairly prestigious statistics department and I think what he told me really makes sense. The admission process a lot of times is much more ad-hoc than you think. Take his school for example, the PhD admission process involves a bunch of professors in the department sitting around a table going through a pile of applications. Then they just pick and choose whomever they feel they would like to take under their wing. They really don't have a systematic way of "ranking" the applicants, despite being a very prominent statistics department in the world.

Personal relationships also play a much stronger role than one might think in academia. Suppose one of your academic references comes from a good friend of one of those professors sitting around the table. And your recommender didn't just write you a letter but went through the trouble of picking up the phone and putting in a good word for you. How much more likely do you think you will be able to make it into the program?

My point is, the admission process isn't a simple logistic regression on your GPA, GRE, your career experiences. You might feel that it's unfair, but that is the way it has always been done.

Back