• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Hello everyone,

Objective: Learn C++ for the admission of CMU MSCF
Programming Experience: Java script
Current Work: Graduate student
Intended Pace: As soon as possible

Hi Everyone, hopefully i'll be joining the Summer cohort of C++ students.
Thought I'd start a thread to get to know my fellow coursemates.

Objective: Just like many others, I am here to learn C++ for admission to MFE programs.

Programming experience: Java, Oracle (5+ years ago), some self-taught SQL and PerlScript for on-the-job automation

Current work: Student

Intended pace of program: As quickly as possible. My pace will probably go in stops and starts given that I will have two interruptions. The first is a one-week pause for my brother's wedding, and the second will be a road-trip across the country (I am expecting this to take about 5 days, plus getting set up in my new home!). Given this, I will be working extra hard early and late in the program.

Hi all,

Objective:
Interested in coding and hope to find a career in comp fin/quant. Also considering for some relevent masters.
Programming experience: None.
Current work: Consultancy in a financial software company. Previously a derivatives trader at some prop firms.
Intended pace of program: Hoping to finish within 3.5 months.

Hi everyone,

Objective: Learn C++ for admissions to MFE program
Programming experience: C, C++, Objective C, Matlab, R, SPLus but I have not coded for the last 2 years
Current work: Just graduate and looking for job
Intended pace of program: As soon as I can

Hi all,

Objective: Learn C++ for admissions to MFE program
Programming experience: Not much. I participated in a programming (Pascal) competition back in high school. However, it was all about math.
Current work: Student
Intended pace of program: I have wasted my first 2 weeks because of the intense summer term, but I hope I could be able to finish it around mid-August.​

Hi everyone, I am new here, so I will just introduce myself.

Objective: Learn C++ for MFE program entry.

Programming Experience: C, Sql, SAS
Current Work: student
Intended Pace: I hope to finish this course within 2 months.

Objective: Learn C++ for admission to MFE programs.

Programming experience: Nothing serious. Just a little bit of this and that for school projects.
Current work: Final year Mechanical Engineering/Economics/Business Undergrad.
Intended pace of program: Not sure, but hopefully I will be able to finish before October 2012.

Objective: Learn C++ for professional development
Programming Experience: SAS, SQL
Current Work: Risk Analytics at a buy-side firm
Intended Pace: Currently working full-time, hope to learn concepts and program at a decent pace

Name: Bradley "Ori" Hughes

Objective: To learn C++ to work on a non-profit project, as well as get started in the C++ field as a freelancer.

Programming Experience: AHK, and C# editing.

Current Work: Retail store manager.

Intended Pace: With my schedule being so hectic, I'm hoping to be done in a month or two.

Objective: Learn C++ for admission to MFE program

Programming Experience: none

Current Work: Mortgage customer service/ waiter/ student

Intended Pace: I am in no real hurry. With two jobs, a family and school I am going to have to fit the coursework in here and there whenever I can.

Objective: To learn C++ for admission to MFE program

Programming Experience:None at all _ read a VBA book a while ago; can't remember much.

Current Work: Operations staff at a commercial bank.

Intended Pace: Hopefully to clear by December 2012.I really hope to interact with as many of you here as possible.

Hello,​
Objective: Learn C++ for MFE program
Current Work: In my senior of Economics major
Intended Pace: I would like to complete this course by the end of this year 2012​

Hello All,

Objective: Apply for MFE program(my second master), get some programming background
Programming Experience: A little VBA,
Current Work: Graduate Student
Intended Pace: Not sure. hopefully by the end of September

Hi Everyone,
Objective: Learn C++ for MFE program
Current Work: Worked as financial analyst for 4 years. Currently full time student, taking applied math courses to help with MFE admissions.
Intended Pace: I plan to use my time effectively to learn the language as well as possible, and hopefully earn a distinction on the certificate. So perhaps, I may use most of the 16 weeks.

Objective: Learn C++ for MFE program and career
Current Work: Worked as a derivatives trader, currently unemployed
Intended Pace: I plan to finish approximately a level per week and hopefully finish within 2.5 months

Hi all !
Objective: Learn C++ during my MFE program.
Programming Experience: a little bit matlab
Current Work: MFE student
Intended pace: Finish class before September 2012

Hey guys,

Objective: Learn c++ for admission into MFE program
Programming Experience: Took an intro level course to c++ years ago
Current Work: Finishing up mathematics of finance bachelors degree
Intended pace: Finish before December 2012

Hello everyone, I am so excited to finally started working on C++ eventhough late
Objective: Learn C++ for admission into MFE programs

Programming experience: Some VBA, Some Matlab

Current work: Validation Analyst in an Investment Bank

Intended pace: Hopefully by the end of the year

Back