• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Hi everybody, This is my first day in the course. Very excited to learn with you guys!

Objective: Learn C++ for a career change.

Programming experience: Cobol, Java, Rexx, Objective-C, Smalltalk, Fortran

Current work: Technical Project Manager, PMP, CSM, MBA

Intended pace: Feb 2012

Hi everybody! I've just joined the course, and thought I'd take a turn introducing myself.

Objective: Learn C++ for MFE program and to use current position
Programming Experience: VBA, SQL
Current Work: Actuary
Intended Pace: I have a break between actuarial exams right now, so I would like to finish as quickly as possible. Aiming to complete course by Feb 2012 (approx. one level per week), we'll see how well that goal holds up! ;)

Hi everyone, a couple of weeks into the course I think it's time I introduced myself!

Objective: Learn C++ for MFE program entry and to use current job.

Programming Experience: kdb+/q, shell scripting, sql
Current Work: kdb+ developer in a hedge fund in NYC

Intended Pace: I hope to finish the course in April 2012. There is no reason for me to rush it at the moment.

Hi everyone!

Objective: Planning to work in industry.

Programming Experience: SAS, MATLAB, SQL
Current Work: PhD student

Intended Pace: As fast as I can.

Hey guys! I joined the course yesterday and I've already spent about 8 hours so far (y).

Objective: Didn't encounter any C++ in school, looking to fulfill the requirement and get into a top MFE program starting Fall 2012.

Programming Experience: I do okay in R, worked a lot in SPSS but no languages outside of stats.
Current Work: Senior undergrad at Ohio University, dual-degree in Math Stats/Psychology.

Intended Pace: I'd like to do a level per week, if for no other reason than to give myself lots of leeway if I fall behind.

Hello world! (OK, that's lame, I know.)

Objective: Data Analysis and trading system applications
Programming Experience: VBA, PHP
Current Work: N/A
Intended Pace: As fast as I can.

I understand it's really late, but since I'm done with all the HW I figured I'd at least introduce myself.

Jiad Alqotob
Objective: Improved analysis to apply towards fund management
Programming Experience: Stata, Matlab, VBA, PHP, Some Java
Current Work: C.E.O. of Alqotob & Kremer Asset Management, Inc.
Intended Pace: Accumulate all the work and knock it out in a week. (Winter break well spent)

Hey guys! Greetings from Australia.

Objective:
To learn as much C/C++ as I can.

Programming Experience:
Some SQL and a little bit of C++ that I taught myself last holidays.

Current Work:
Student.

Intended Pace:
As long as it takes, but hopefully I'll be done before uni goes back in march 2012.

I understand it's really late, but since I'm done with all the HW I figured I'd at least introduce myself.

Jiad Alqotob
Objective: Improved analysis to apply towards fund management
Programming Experience: Stata, Matlab, VBA, PHP, Some Java
Current Work: C.E.O. of Alqotob & Kremer Asset Management, Inc.
Intended Pace: Accumulate all the work and knock it out in a week. (Winter break well spent)

You completed the whole course in a week??

You completed the whole course in a week??
Minus the first level which I did a long time ago, yes. It hasn't been graded yet, so I'll hold off on celebrating. I actually got levels 2-9 knocked out in 6 days total.

It's a final exam you take with your TA. Basically, you use your programs to run inputs that the TAs provide. I haven't gotten a chance to actually do this yet, because I'm waiting for feedback regarding my homework and it's the holiday season.

Yes sir. The requirements for each level were to digest the material and complete the "homework" which was essentially the module.

All I can say is AWESOME. Well done.

The exercises use an inductive/incremental approach: get it working and extend in all directions.

I know it's really late to post here but I should introduce myself at least.
Objective:
learning C++, prove my programming skill.

Programming Experience:
Java, SQL, Matlab, SAS, some R and PASCAL&BASIC(long long time ago)

Current Work:
Interest Rate Production Analyst for MSCI.

Intended Pace:
Hopefully get this done in two weeks.

Name: Kenneth Chan, KC for short.

Objective: Add to my skillset, and apply to an MFE program.

Programming Experience: SQL, PL/SQL, Shell, VBA, Perl, C.

Current Work: Analyst Intern at Gresham Risk Partners, a subsidiary of VERO Capital Management.

Completed Pace: One level per week.

Hi everyone, greetings from Singapore. I just enrolled last night and I'm glad to be on board.

Objective: Personal enrichment and for MFE pursuit.

Programming Experience: One undergraduate class in C and some VBA (self-taught).

Current Work: Engineer for defense projects.

Intended Pace: One level per week.

Cheers.

Name: Michael Komosinski

Objective: To learn C++ in preparation for applications to MFE programs.

Programming Experience: Python, Java, C (a bit), JavaScript, HTML5, etc.

Current Work: Just got my undergraduate degree, considering work and MFE programs as my next step.

Intended Pace: Hopefully a little faster than one a week, but we'll see how it goes :)

Hello everyone, my name is Dingfei Ai, I am really happy that I could join this big family.

Objective: Learn C++ to prepare myself for the MFE application, and also improve my programming skills.

Current Work: I graduated last fall as PhD in physics, and right now I am working in financial company in New York.

Intended Pace: I hope I can finish the course in one to one and half month.

Back