• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Objective: Learn C++ for admission into MFE programs

Programming experience: C#, C++, SQL ......

Current work: Pricing & Market Data Departament at BBVA AM

Intended pace: Hopefully by the end of the september​

Probably a little late to post an introduction, but here is mine.

Objective: Learn C++ as a complementary skill to my Computational Finance program
Programming Experience: JAVA, MATLAB, R, VBA
Current Work: Currently jobless
Intended Pace: Not quite sure, I'm just going with the flow, doing everything I can find and do at the moment.

Hi everyone!

Objective: Learn C++ to pitch myself into analytics world of finance

Programming experience: Java

Current work: Software Testing

Intended pace: Sep 2012

Objective: Learn C++ to be able to do a bit more facets in Finance. Goal is really to learn C++ in a quick fashion and get REALLY good at it!

Programming experience: C#, Java

Current work: Figuring out a few things on my side at the moment.

Intended pace: September? We'll see. It's hard to say at the moment, but I will be dedicating a good portion of my time into this.

Objective: To push myself to learn C++ after rounds of unsuccessful self-studies. Rather self-defeating.
Programming experience: Matlab, and minimal any experience in other programming languages.
Current work: Not really doing much, had a family emergency which requires my full attention.
Intended pace: maybe 2 months? should be more than enough since I don't do anything else currently.

Objective: To learn C/C++ to expand my quant career toolbox and prepare for MFE program in hopefully the near future.
Programming experience: Basics of C, minor experience in XCode (Objective-C)
Current work: Currently unemployed, an undergraduate at Baruch College due to graduate in Sept 2012.
Intended pace: Approximately 2-3 Months

Hey guys!

Objective: I hope to learn programming for financial applications
Programming experience: basic C++, Matlab
Current work: Student, just graduated from Rutgers University with BS Mechanical Engineering, BA Economics. Starting at Columbia University in September as graduate student
Intended pace: Approximately 2-3 Months (by the end of the summer)

Objective: I hope to learn programming for financial applications
Programming experience: none. taking a python course now as well
Current work: IT Director - looking to get out of IT Support and move into dev work. in mathematics, statistics, economics
Intended pace: Approximately 2-3 Months (by the end of the summer)

Objective: Learn programming to help with financial modelling
Programming experience: VBA and some matlab
Current work: Emerging Market Fixed Income Trading
Intended pace: 3 months

Objective: Learn C++ for consolidating my programming skill

Programming Exp.: Fortran (few years ago), Matlab (currently most projects focus on) and R

Current Work: registered currently MFE students

Intended pace: Hopefully, can finish up by the end of this summer

Nice to meet you all here!

Objective: I hope to learn C++ to know more about programming and get admitted by Baruch MFE

Programming Exp.: No. learning Matlab now.

Current Work: Economics graduate student

Intended pace: I hope to finish by the end of this summer.

hello, it is glad to join this group.
Objective: enhance my skill of C++ and may support admission of a MFE program
Programming experience: mostly about C
Previous and current work: my background is a semiconductor engineer and current leave job to prepare change career to finance industry
intended pace: about September

Hello Guys! Glad to take this course here.
Objective: get programming skills related to financial engineering.
Programming experience: used to build and program robots in high school. learn a bit of Basic.
Previous and current work: I have just graduated from my undergraduate actuarial science and finance education. Going to take actuarial graduate study next year.
Intended pace: hope to finish this before September so that I can focus on my graduate research.

Hello Guys, I am Shijia.
Objective: get familiar with C programming
Programming experience: R, SAS, C, JAVA
Previous and current work: I am a juior college student in UW-Seattle. I am statistics major
Intended pace: hope to finish this before September as well like Wenrui does. Because I want more time to focus on searching jobs or applying for graduate in the end of this year.

Hi all,

Objective: Formalize C++ experience for resume and job applications
Programming Experience: Python, R, VBA, some C#, and Fortran a long time ago
Current Work: Business Analyst at a healthCare company (also doing MS in Comp. Finance at U of Washington)
Intended Pace: Not sure, working full time, so as efficiently as I can

Hello everyone,

Objective: Learn C++ and Numerical Methods used in Finance
Programming Experience: Java, VBA, Matlab
Current Work: Quant Analyst
Intended Pace: As fast as I can.

Objective: Connect with a skilled programmer
Programming Experience: Metatrader
Current Work: System Designer
Intended Pace: ASAP

I have been involved in Forex for about 9 years now. I started with a system sold on late night TV. Well the system was flawed to say the least but it did get me into the market. Since then I sourced automated systems for a brokerage which was very educational. Bottom line is that risk management is the most important thing to consider in my current opinion. And by not losing there is less need to gain back to get to break even so a close attention to risk management can also lead to better yields.

In working with programmers in MT4, I have worked with a bit over 40 and the last one I worked with said I need a quant to do what I am working on. My coding skills are not that advanced being self taught so I am not quite able to realize my system so far. Persistence will win in the end though.

Hello, All

Objective: Learn C++ for admission to MFE programs

Programming Exp: None

Current Work: First year MS student

Intended pace: Follow the schedule

Hi everybody, I'm joining this program in preparation for the MFE program I will be starting in Sept. of 2012.

Objective: Learn C++ and it's applications to quant finance.

Programming experience: MS SQL - building codes to solve DB issues.

Current work: Implementation Consultant

Intended pace: Done by Sept.

Hello everyone,

Objective: Learn C++ and its application in Finance
Programming Experience: C, C++, python
Current Work: Graduate student
Intended Pace: Done by Sept.​

Back