• Visit the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE CMU MSCF (NYC) v/s Berkeley MFE v/s CMU PhD Math Finance

As long as you're on the subject of free time, here's a question...

Is it possible to do sports during the program (MSCF or MFE)? I'm talking about 2 hrs practice every day... Is it possible to create that much free time for yourself or is that just too much time taken away from the important stuff?

I would say that if you are able to correctly manage your time, you will have time to practice sport

There is a ton of misinformation on this forum about MSCF. I agree and would choose Berkeley.
... you want a job in Cali and not in NYC?

It's really a toss up. You can scream bloody murder all you want, but a couple of years ago a student from Berkeley came forward and did the exact same thing, strongly disputing the employment figures that that university officially publishes. At least you're not saying that the info CMU puts on its website is fabricated.

The toss up goes as follows:

Berkeley, being a state school is cheaper (and also shorter). Also much nicer weather and California-based jobs.

CMU gives you access to NYC. Which will either open unbelievable amounts of doors to you, or be something you squander completely. I interviewed with a hedge fund that only interviewed me and a couple of candidates from MSCF. They were only there because the guy that runs the hedge fund could walk to the MSCF campus and ask them for a resume book. This is what Berkeley just cannot give you, no matter how much they spin the whole "we're on the bank recruitment circuit too!" line. (the part they omit - "along with everyone else")

... you want a job in Cali and not in NYC?

It's really a toss up. You can scream bloody murder all you want, but a couple of years ago a student from Berkeley came forward and did the exact same thing, strongly disputing the employment figures that that university officially publishes. At least you're not saying that the info CMU puts on its website is fabricated.

The toss up goes as follows:

Berkeley, being a state school is cheaper (and also shorter). Also much nicer weather and California-based jobs.

CMU gives you access to NYC. Which will either open unbelievable amounts of doors to you, or be something you squander completely. I interviewed with a hedge fund that only interviewed me and a couple of candidates from MSCF. They were only there because the guy that runs the hedge fund could walk to the MSCF campus and ask them for a resume book. This is what Berkeley just cannot give you, no matter how much they spin the whole "we're on the bank recruitment circuit too!" line. (the part they omit - "along with everyone else")

You can't be farther from the truth when you say "... you want a job in Cali and not in NYC?"

While I would not deny that CMU will give you the next door access, I would refute your claim that Berkeley grads do not get NYC jobs(in Banks/HFs/others) or that Berkeley can't provide you with enough opportunities in NYC.

As much as 52-55% of my class had their internships in NYC(including me). About 25% went to West coast firms(Hedge funds like Blackrock and others). Every year around 50% of the class gets full time offers in NYC. Funnily enough, the same holds true for CMU grads. Roughly 50-55% of them get FT work in NYC as reported on CMU's website( Source:http://www.tepper.cmu.edu/corporati...raduates-compensation-by-geography/index.aspx)

If both schools are placing same percentage of students in NYC, I believe Berkeley does an incredible job of placing students in NYC, given its so called "Location Disadvantage".

I know at least 3 students who turned down offers in NYC to stay back in the Bay Area or were actively recruiting only in the Bay Area for Personal(and very practical) reasons. As for myself, I have ONLY interviewed with NYC based companies,both for my internship and Full Time recruitment.

I have nothing against CMU MSCF program. I believe it is a very very strong program and have often commented on its worth. But, I had to write this post to dispel some of the misconceptions about the Berkeley MFE.

I would refute your claim that Berkeley grads do not get NYC jobs
Good thing I never made that claim, otherwise a claim I made might have actually been refuted.
given its so called "Location Disadvantage".
See, now THIS is the claim I made. I'm glad we agree on the fact that Berkeley is "locationally disadavantaged".

I never said Berkeley did a poor job of placing students. Or that it is in any way bad, by any stretch of the imagination. What I said is that CMU is a path with less resistance to a specifically NYC job. And it seems we agree on that?

.... couple of years ago a student from Berkeley came forward and did the exact same thing, strongly disputing the employment figures that that university officially publishes.

Can you/someone please provide the link?

Kittu
How is the placement this year at UCB?

I'm glad we agree on the fact that Berkeley is "locationally disadavantaged".

Umm....Perhaps that was sarcasm from my end?

What I said is that CMU is a path with less resistance to a specifically NYC job. And it seems we agree on that?

The only comparable statistic is the percentage of students going to NYC for FT. If those numbers are similar for two schools(let alone Berk and CMU), how can one be a path with less resistance?
Rather, if we take your hypothesis of less resistance as true, then can we deduce that Berkeley does a better job of placing students in NYC, given its "more resistive path"? Because both schools end up placing same percentage of students?

I do not want to get into a My school vs Your school debate. You would agree its a waste of time and effort.

I have immense respect for MSCF grads and do believe that they are outstanding smart individuals. I just wanted to make sure that anyone seeking information about Berkeley gets the correct information.

Cheers!

Good thing I never made that claim, otherwise a claim I made might have actually been refuted.

See, now THIS is the claim I made. I'm glad we agree on the fact that Berkeley is "locationally disadavantaged".

I never said Berkeley did a poor job of placing students. Or that it is in any way bad, by any stretch of the imagination. What I said is that CMU is a path with less resistance to a specifically NYC job. And it seems we agree on that?

I guess what you're not getting, Lyosha, is when we say your location argument does not hold true for Berkeley, because Berkeley's strong brand name, and strong alumni network, does not make its location disadvantageous the way you "vivaciously" emphasized (lol). Statistics have shown that Berkeley's employment success rates are still superior to those schools you personally favored. I would have given you credit for that very active role in attacking Berkeley if you have data to back your assertions up. But you don't. And, that's the problem.

If those numbers are similar for two schools(let alone Berk and CMU), how can one be a path with less resistance?

But as previously discussed they're not that similar... there is a clear east coast bias in CMU and a west coast bias in Berkeley (esp. if you take into account that the overwhelming majority of Quant jobs in the USA are in NYC)...

I guess what you're not getting, Lyosha
No, I perfectly get your argument. But I wish whichever schools you all went to emphasized reading comprehension more...

Me: "you're not in NYC, therefore you have access to fewer opportunities in NYC"
You: "But some people still get jobs in NYC! Therefore we clearly must have the same exact access."
Me: *facepalm*

This isn't a "my school vs. your school" argument, CMU is not my school. This is a "reading comprehension" argument...

Have a nice day.

But as previously discussed they're not that similar... there is a clear east coast bias in CMU and a west coast bias in Berkeley (esp. if you take into account that the overwhelming majority of Quant jobs in the USA are in NYC)...

From what I've seen, the biased could be attributable to many factors, such as, personal preferences of location, opportunities in the surrounding area - which makes the whole application process much easier for the applicants, and, so on. But for a school as prestigious and respected as Berkeley, location is seemingly a small factor - not as huge as you've vivaciously emphasized in almost all discussions you've participated in, because Berkeley's program would get the respect that NYC schools would normally get, even in NYC or London or Shanghai or Hong Kong or Dubai or Brazil or Mexico or anywhere else. In other words, school location does not supersede prestige, respect and alumni network in choosing a program. Yes there is a slight advantage for NYC schools due to proximity. But large banks/firms/companies in NYC aren't closing their doors to graduates of other well-respected programs. Stanford grads, for example, can land a job in NYC if they'll seek those opportunities. And, so are Chicago, MIT and Princeton grads. It probably would be a little more complicated for them and would require extra work, but they'll get it somehow. Most qualified students are aware about that fact. People go to those places despite not being located in NYC because of the program strength, prestige, networking, respect and opportunities after graduation, which time and again, have proven that they can be as marketable as those graduates of NYC schools are, or even more, as indicated by verifiable, quantifiable data.

Me: "you're not in NYC, therefore you have access to fewer opportunities in NYC"
You: "But some people still get jobs in NYC! Therefore we clearly must have the same exact access."
Me: *facepalm*

This isn't a "my school vs. your school" argument, CMU is not my school. This is a "reading comprehension" argument...

Well, like I said, no one here is denying that proximity provides easier access to many companies' doors located within the area. How much is that of a huge factor over the other factors, which I personally think are just as important in choosing a program, such as, brand name, program strength, alumni network, school environment and so on, is what I am debating about. Did you get that? If school location is your single criterion for choosing a program, then I think you're not thinking very well, and you're going to miss a lot what other schools outside of NYC provides.

Granted location weighs way more than the other factors would, why then are those NYC schools don't have 100% employment data? In other words, if what you're claiming is always true that NYC schools have always had the advantages for NYC employment, those NYC schools would have had a 100% employment acceptance rate at those top NYC companies, correct? But we both know that they don't. In fact, in many instances, those positions that many NYC grads would fight for are given to grads of schools located outside of NYC, such as, Berkeley, Chicago, MIT, Princeton and Stanford, a strong indication that location - though admittedly is an advantage as it would give you easier time in applying - is not that huge enough of a factor to overthrow the other factors. Because in reality, top NYC companies aren't closing their doors to grads of other top schools located outside of NYC. That's one reality that you miserably failed to understand. Most top companies are meritocratic -- they look at the strength of the applicants not where his school is located. And, Berkeley, Chicago, Stanford, MIT and such schools are full of highly qualified students. And, again, sadly, you're trying to ignore that reality.

Back