• Visit the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Columbia MFE Interview

Got my offer for the MSFE. Would be great to network before the start of the program if anyone else on here has gotten admitted.
Hi Soheil, How long did you receive the offer after the interview? And Congradualations!

I just got interview invite yesterday :O Does anyone know what's percentage of people who get selected out of interview list ?

Unfortunately, no financial aid. My understanding was that MSFE students don't get financial aid.
I got my offer the day after the interview.

Unfortunately, no financial aid. My understanding was that MSFE students don't get financial aid.
I got my offer the day after the interview.
well that may make things a little dif. didnt realize they didnt give out $$. congrats

I had my interview on Feb 7th, and got accepted on Feb 10th, but I didn't get any scholarship.

I had an interview with MIT two days ago at Shanghai, and I think I did much better than with Columbia.
So I feel like I might have a chance at being accepted to MIT as well.

The problem is: Columbia requires my decision to accept/decline by February 24th, but MIT will give out decisions on March 10th.

So, my questions are:
1. Is there any way that I can somehow hear from MIT about the decision before March 10th?
2. Assuming that I am accepted to MIT as well, which program should I pick? (I am considering quantitative analyst as my first job, NYC preferred, and I am an international student. Tuition does not matter, and I am most concerned about getting employed.)

Last edited:
I had my interview on Feb 7th, and got accepted on Feb 10th, but I didn't get any scholarship.

I had an interview with MIT two days ago at Shanghai, and I think I did much better than with Columbia.
So I feel like I might have a chance at being accepted to MIT as well.

The problem is: Columbia requires my decision to accept/decline by February 24th, but MIT will give out decisions on March 10th.

So, my questions are:
1. Is there any way that I can somehow hear from MIT about the decision before March 10th?
2. Assuming that I am accepted to MIT as well, which program should I pick? (I am considering quantitative analyst as my first job, NYC preferred, and I am an international student. Tuition does not matter, and I am most concerned about getting employed.)

E-mail the MIT admissions team and inform them about the offer and the acceptance deadline. They may want some form of proof so you could attach the acceptance e-mail or a scan of the letter of acceptance should you have one.

There's no guarantee they will accommodate your request, however it doesn't hurt to ask.

On the face of it, given your preferences, Columbia does sound like a better fit, but don't take my word for it. The best to do in these situations is probably to contact current students and alumni of both programs (should you also be admitted to MIT) and ask them about the curriculum and recruiting.

OK, I should try contacting current students and alumni.

Another question: Say I pay the non-refundable tuition deposit of $2500 by February 24th. If I get accepted by MIT after that, can I decline Columbia's offer and choose to go to MIT instead? Or am I bound to Columbia by paying the $2500?

thats a tricky one. i would stay away from doing that. always feels a lil unethical. also there might a clause in the acceptantce of offer that makes it binding

You're not bound legally or anything. Morally...maybe. You'd lose $2500 but they can't force you to go to their school haha

Hi all, I thought I'd offer a non-international experience. I was invited to interview on Feb 7th and had my interview today. As others have mentioned it primarily focused on two questions: 1) have you applied to any other programs besides Columbia and 2) What are your plans following graduation.

I think I may have avoided some of the technical questions because I have a longer work history than many applicants. More specifically, with only 20 minutes to give a full rundown on my history, we just barely were able to go through my resume and answer the standard questions before our time was up.

Hope that's helpful to anyone applying domestically!

Back