• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Free MySQL database

Hi,

I am learning SQL programming with Perl. Is there any free MySQL database of financial data that I can download to my computer and practice programming with it? Thanks.

Can you give some hints for importing csv to MySQL? Thanks a lot.

If you are starting at ground zero and looking at several script language to learn (Python, Perl, Php, anything that start with P) then pick Python because it has many great math/finance libraries and is one valuable skill to have on your resume.
You will thank us later.

On a second note, you write SQL programming which may mean something else. You learn SQL syntax, write stored procedures to do calculation. Python and C++ have nothing to do with SQL programming. You probably want to learn "sql query syntax"

Hi Andy,

Thank you for valuable input. I am hesitating in learn Perl or Python, and your input is really helpful.

I already learned SQL, playing all commands under SQL command line. Now, I think maybe it is time to play with some SQL programming. I am familiar with C++, but looks like, from those job postings, C++ is not used too much with SQL.

You said Perl and C++ has nothing to do with SQL, what's exact meaning of that? I saw there exists C++ API to SQL, also exists a Perl-SQL interface called DBI....so, even though these utilities, people still seldom use Perl or C++ to work with SQL?

Another reason that I think about Perl is, current in job market, more positions mentioned 'strong Perl with SQL' than Python or C++ for SQL programming.

So, for my case, I am familiar with C++, almost zero knowledge in Perl and Python, Already learned one SQL book and played most commands under SQL command line. Now, I wnat to learn some SQL programming, which language you recommend? What's the best starting point for me?

Thanks a lot for your input.

If you are starting at ground zero and looking at several script language to learn (Python, Perl, Php, anything that start with P) then pick Python because it has many great math/finance libraries and is one valuable skill to have on your resume.
You will thank us later.

On a second note, you write SQL programming which may mean something else. You learn SQL syntax, write stored procedures to do calculation. Python and C++ have nothing to do with SQL programming. You probably want to learn "sql query syntax"

I think what you mean is programming an application that sits on top of a database layer. For that, Python would be a good start as it has a fantastic MySQL library (MySQL-Python).

However, C++.NET with SQL Server might another good way to go. I believe there are free versions of Visual Studio C++ and SQL Server to get you started.

Back