• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Knight Capital to fire 8% staff

Wow, MS pulling hiring, BOA laying off bankers and now this. Pretty nuts if you ask me especially since all the banks were really talking about hiring a couple months ago. Either way it is looking like another lackluster year for recruiting.

My friend and I were talking and he said he really thinks this is going to be a lost decade for so many kids. This guy has his MSF, two great alumni networks, 1 year boutique IB internship experience and he networks like a monster. Only 2 interviews out of it. In a good market he would be BB IBD. Pretty sad. I suppose operations is going to be hiring some of its best quality workers.

I've heard a number of people talking about the XLF is getting ready to go back into the crapper, and that both sides of banking are in trouble.

To put a positive spin on the experience Anthony's friend...

This guy has worked hard to get a job, and scored two interviews.

Obviously I have no way of telling how smart this guy is, but one signal in this data is that people with his level of ability who worked less hard at job hunting did not score enough interviews to get a job.

It raises the question of what 'normal conditions' are ?

My view is that a market where a reasonably smart person can do a one year course, and then have a reasonable expectation of a very high paying job is not stable.

Basic economics tell us that as price goes up, supply will tend to rise as well.

That is indeed what we see. I don't have exact numbers but my call is that the supply of new MFEs has grown at around 30% for the last decade. A mindlessly simplistic projection of that implies that all masters graduates will be MFEs before very long.

When I wrote the first edition of the guide to quant careers with Paul Wilmott, I developed a model independent view of how you should look for jobs. That was before the peak of the market, and still holds true.

The model is so simple that at first I was wary of putting it on paper, because I felt that it would be seen as trivially obvious to anyone smart enough to do this work. But I now know that many people still don't get it.

I simply say that the job market is always competitive. Maybe you have skills, tenacity, brains, education and a father who owns a major bank, but the best jobs still require you to beat other people. The job you can easily get is almost certainly less good than the job you could have got with a bit more effort and luck.

I find lots of these news so contradicting...

Morgan Stanley and JP Morgan Quant Modelling groups were at my school to recruit this past week for internships and full-time positions.

At the Career Fair at Baruch on Friday, Credit Suisse, Blackrock, Barclays Cap, BMO , etc were all looking for internships and full-time positions for financial engineering, investment banking, operations divisions. They said they will be going to other schools as well.

There are major cuts being made, but there are other companies hiring too for next year. The recruiting season for next year is now and I don't see any major stops in hiring?

I suppose for "immediate" hire, many firms have stopped hiring, but I think they are still recruiting for 2011.

knight capital is primarily an equities market making and execution firm and equities volumes took a massive hit this summer. hopefully the situation improves in the last quarter.

Joy has seen an example of what I call Zombie Recruitment...

Most big firms have internal recruiters, their job is to wander as lost souls from campus to campus in search of flesh. If they stopped going to Campuses, Baron Samedi would take them back to the circle of hell reserved for Simonites.

The motivational structure of zombies is curiously under-researched, but is clearly characterised by repetitive behaviour that is poorly correlated with environmental stimuli.

Thus they will always say the same things about the prospects of their firm whether they are rolling in cash or being led to debtor's prison.

It is however very important to listen to what they say.
The entropy of their statements will be low, but the second order Markov chain of words is critical.
None of you are old enough to remember programs from the 1970s/80s that entered into the following style of dialogue:

Computer: How are you ?
Person: I am sad.
Computer:Why are you sad ?
P: Because I think everyone is looking at me
C:Why do you think that everyone is looking at you?
P:Because I am naked
C:Why are you naked ?
P:Teapots are happy
C:Why do you think teapots are happy.

You are the computer in this process...
They will make meaningless noises, and your job is to log them, and them integrate them into text of the form: "I am enthusiastic about working for Lehmans because of their strong balance sheet, and think I can make a difference because of the culture of excellence"

The words in italics are the meaningless drivel you must spout in exactly the way they say it.

Back