• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New BU Curriculum

I am accepted for fall 2010 and even I would interested to know.

However, on the downside: the price has gone up by about $13K+living for extra 2 months

Its total tuition is now 60K, which is very expensive

I notice that in the first semester, they offer a sequence of two stochastic calculus concurrently. This is something usually done over two semesters, not one. This is similar to taking Calculus I and Calculus II at the same time. I'm curious as to the reason why they set up this way.

MF702​
(4 credits)​
MF769​
(4 credits)​
MF792​
(4 credits)​
MF795​
(4 credits)​

Is it worth paying so much money for a tier two (or three ?) program ?
BU is not a top university and I'm thinking, do people really pay 60-70 grand? why? I'm just curious...

BU's Mathematical finance is ranked 11th according to Quantnet so I am guessing it must be pretty good, although BU is not top tier but this program might be top tier?

I am interested to know more as well. Im trying to choose the maths subjects for my postgrad diploma in applied in relation to specifically for MFE

I got a friend that is studying the program right now but I havnt been able to find him yet, i will get him to talk about this when I find him.

BU's Mathematical finance is ranked 11th according to Quantnet so I am guessing it must be pretty good, although BU is not top tier but this program might be top tier?

I am interested to know more as well. Im trying to choose the maths subjects for my postgrad diploma in applied in relation to specifically for MFE

I got a friend that is studying the program right now but I havnt been able to find him yet, i will get him to talk about this when I find him.

It is not ranked 11. It falls into the 10-15 category.

Is it worth paying so much money for a tier two (or three ?) program ?
BU is not a top university and I'm thinking, do people really pay 60-70 grand? why? I'm just curious...

how do you define tier 2 or 3? How do you know BU is not a top university? what's your point of reference?

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Couple of things, read the methodology that was used to rank programs in QN. The program doesn't have to necessarely be pretty good to do well. There is a lot of other variables involved.

How do you know if BU is a top tier or not? What's your baseline/point of reference?

My only point of view is the discussion in varoius threads in the forum. I know Sanket has a "not so nice" view of the MFE program although other posters have said the BU program has changed.

I do value Sanket's opinion a lot since I know him personally.

Regarding BU in general, I do know a lot of people that went to that school because I used to work for a company out of Boston. As with everything else, there were superstars and there were bad apples.

Labeling a university a top tier or not is just silly. Education is what you make of it.

Boston University's finance department is very well renowned. They have some very good finance researchers. But that is not something you neccesarily want in an MFE program as many have mentioned. I am sure they can attract a lot of practitioners from the Boston area, but the best in the field are out of NYC, Chicago and even San Francisco.

I know of a very famous econophysicist from there...

http://polymer.bu.edu/~hes/econophysics/

He is out of their materials department actually. lol I was working on some stuff with computational fluid dynamics and market equilibrium related research based on one of his papers.

He is not very well respected in Finance academia just like other econophysicists from what I have heard, but a very smart guy.

I think the program is what matters when it comes to this degree and not always he university. As mentioned above, the education is key.

I dont know for sure. But I am just basing it on the fact that most of my friends and workmates apply for BU not as the first preferred choice, they choose it if they dont get accepted into other programs. Its not really much of a reference and I cant judge it either.

What would u prefer? CMU, Chicago, NYU or BU?

Sorry to bring back this thread, I searched but there doesn't seem to be enough discussion about the program. I was offered admission today with 12k, just wondering if I can get more info from anyone.

Do take into account that it is housed in the business school whereas most other programs are not.

Sorry to bring back this thread, I searched but there doesn't seem to be enough discussion about the program. I was offered admission today with 12k, just wondering if I can get more info from anyone.

Do take into account that it is housed in the business school whereas most other programs are not.

You should take a look at the program reviews here.

Also, try searching the forum using "Boston" or "Boston University" in the search field, you will probably find a few threads.

CMU is also hosted by the biz school and its considered to be a good program.
From what people said before it moved to the business school, the program was a disaster. I'm not sure how it is now. You should contact the alumni if you can.

Boston or Umich

I have been admitted to both U Mich and Boston... I have no clue which school is better..
Placement is the key issue for me an i am taking a big risk coming to US for education..Please help me out with some facts...

I notice that in the first semester, they offer a sequence of two stochastic calculus concurrently. This is something usually done over two semesters, not one. This is similar to taking Calculus I and Calculus II at the same time. I'm curious as to the reason why they set up this way.

MF702​
(4 credits)​
MF769​
(4 credits)​
MF792​
(4 credits)​
MF795-​
(4 credits)​

The two Stochastic Methods of Mathematical Finance are basically the same course. This is the Fall 2011 schedule for these two courses:
- Stochastic Methods of Mathematical Finance I (Sept 6-Oct 20) Tue-Thur 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m
- Stochastic Methods of Mathematical Finance II (Oct 25-Dec 8) Tue-Thur 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m

Back