• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Paul & Dominic's Guide to Quant Careers Version 2.0 Now Available

DominiConnor

Quant Headhunter
As promised we have totally rewritten and greatly expanded our Guide to Getting a Quant Job.
Yes, it really is 137 pages this time, and yes it still is free.

We have adjusted our advice to current market conditions.

MY INTERVIEW IS IN TWO DAYS TIME ............................................................................................. 3
INTRODUCTION ........................................................................................................................................ 5
WHY YOU SHOULDN’T GET A JOB IN QUANT FINANCE ............................................................... 7
HOW TO WRITE A GOOD QUANT CV ................................................................................................ 10
INTERVIEWS ............................................................................................................................................ 31
APPEARANCE .......................................................................................................................................... 41
HOW INTERVIEWS GO WRONG .......................................................................................................... 48
WHICH PHD SHOULD I DO .................................................................................................................... 50
GOOD THINGS TO DO IN A PHD .................................................................................................................. 59
BAD THINGS TO DO IN A PHD ..................................................................................................................... 60
WHY WE HATE MONTE CARLO. ......................................................................................................... 62
WHAT PEOPLE GET WRONG ............................................................................................................... 68
WHO WILL INTERVIEW YOU............................................................................................................... 74
HR INTERVIEW ....................................................................................................................................... 76
THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF MATHEMATICS SEEN IN FINANCE ............................................... 80
READING LIST ......................................................................................................................................... 84
WHAT YOU MUST KNOW ...................................................................................................................... 88
WHAT YOU MUST HAVE CODED UP .................................................................................................. 89
FINITE-DIFFERENCE METHODS ................................................................................................................... 90
PROGRAM OF STUDY FOR FINITE-DIFFERENCE METHODS ............................................................................. 91
MONTE CARLO METHODS .......................................................................................................................... 92
SUMMARY OF NUMERICAL METHODS ....................................................................................................... 95
PROGRAMMING SKILLS ....................................................................................................................... 96
C++ .............................................................................................................................................................. 98
DEALING WITH OFFERS ........................................................................................................................... 101
SPOTTING BAD JOBS ............................................................................................................................ 105
BEING FOREIGN .................................................................................................................................... 109
BEING FEMALE ..................................................................................................................................... 112
BEING OLDER ........................................................................................................................................ 113
DEALING WITH HEADHUNTERS ...................................................................................................... 116
HOW TO QUIT ........................................................................................................................................ 121
BEING FIRED ........................................................................................................................................... 125
USEFUL LINKS ....................................................................................................................................... 126
CHOOSING WHICH MATHEMATICS TO LEARN NEXT .............................................................. 131
TRANSITION FROM IT TO QUANT FINANCE ................................................................................ 133
WHAT TV GAMESHOWS CAN TELL US ABOUT MATHEMATICAL FINANCE ............................................. 136
HOW TO COMPARE MULTIPLE JOB OFFERS ............................................................................... 137

Hi,

i have mailed u my resume...pls help to send me a copy of the book....

thnks,

Sadly I don't have any way of mapping QN names to real people, so I don't know who you are ?

Approximately, how long after you receive one's CV, you will send out the guide ?

ya you wont know from my QN id...but i have sent you the mail along with my resume from my personal id...isnt that enough?....

Hi DominiConnor

its been a week since i sent you my resume...does it take longer than this to send the copy...
or is it no longer free??....

thnks,

in my case over a month...... i even sent a reminder about a fortnight back :cry:

in my case over a month...... i even sent a reminder about a fortnight back :cry:
He can do better than this. ;)
Waiting over a month for a pdf file is just ridiculous.
Some sites can even be set up so that when you upload your CV, a link or a window will pop up to allow you to download right away.
Or at least, a VB script to send out the guide to people in the database.

My guess is that DC is still working on a reasonable delivery method which is surprising since he should expect the level of demands from Guide 1.0 ;)

the guide is great though many information seems to obtain through Wilmott.com. it is useful anyway.

OK, we have now checked that there really should not be anyone who asked for the Guide who did not get it. All Cvs will get read by a real person after the surge has died down.

Please let me know if you have sent your CV and not got it, and I will personally send you a copy.

Requesting Guide

Hi Dominic,

Please send me a copy of the guide. My email id is srsaran1 at g m a i l . c o m

I've sent you my CV.

Thank You,
Shakti

Hi DC,

I have sent you my CV a month ago....pls send the guide to me....

thnks,

Apologies for a "me too" reply, but I would like to peruse this guide very much (hopefully, before my interviews come up :) ). Please send it to dnquark@yahoo.com, or just reply to the email with my CV (I am Leo A.)

Guide please

Hi Dominic,

I know you probably very busy, just wanted to leave a reminder for you to send me the guide. I emailed you my C.V three weeks ago.

Thanks ,
Ibrahim
email : i.elgayar@gmail.com

Back