• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2016 QuantNet Rankings of Financial Engineering (MFE) Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
That section is based on the Employment data.
https://www.quantnet.com/2015-mfe-programs-rankings-methodology/
As far as I know, QuantNet is the only place that obtains detailed statistics directly from the administrators of the programs we rank.
Given MFE salary/admission info is not publicly available for most programs, I would not give any consideration to any other rankings that claim to have such data.
Totally...Baruch has an illusion of prestige just being close to Wall Street. As an University itself it has no brand value and hardly any catch.

I see, probably why the ranking bears the same program name (MFE) as baruch's program. Thank you.

Don't think they take research output into account, that would be an onerous task.

hm..maybe report just the number of tenure-track faculty members who're squarely in FE, as opposed to postdocs/lecturers/adjuncts or profs who don't work in the area of FE. Still, additional work for sure...

hm..maybe report just the number of tenure-track faculty members who're squarely in FE, as opposed to postdocs/lecturers/adjuncts or profs who don't work in the area of FE. Still, additional work for sure...
do you mean number of practitioners?

I see, probably why the ranking bears the same program name (MFE) as baruch's program. Thank you.

Yes, the only credible part of the ranking is that CMU ranks #1. This is apparently a Baruch run site, and it provides a platform to advertise baruch's c++ online certificate [and this certificate only].

Personally, I'd rank BERKELEY and PRINCETON tie at number one. They obvously are head and shoulders superior to all the rest of the schools offering a similar program. Then...

Group 2a:
MIT
Stanford

Group 2b:
Columbia
CMU
Chicago
NYU

Group 3a:
Cornell
JHU

Group 3b:
Baruch
UCLA
GTech
Etc...

Again, personally.
Peace everyone.

Personally, I'd rank BERKELEY and PRINCETON tie at number one. They obvously are head and shoulders superior to all the rest of the schools offering a similar program. Then...

Group 2a:
MIT
Stanford

Group 2b:
Columbia
CMU
Chicago
NYU

Group 3a:
Cornell
JHU

Group 3b:
Baruch
UCLA
GTech
Etc...

Again, personally.
Peace everyone.
This is your personal opinion, right? Did you go to any of these schools for MFE? have you ever interview people coming out of these programs? I will guarantee you that your opinion will be totally different.

I'd rank them (in particular order within each group)

Group 1:
Princeton
Berkeley
CMU
Columbia

Group 2:
NYU (possibly tier 1)
Cornell
Baruch

Group 3:
MIT
Stanford

Group 4:
Chicago
JHU
UCLA
GTech

Personally.

I've always been curious as to why everybody loves UC Berkeley so much, and especially the MFE program ("head and shoulders above the rest" Really?) . And I ask as an undergrad alumnus who grew up just a short drive away from the school so I would think it would be me who is biased in favor of it.

I've always been curious as to why everybody loves UC Berkeley so much, and especially the MFE program ("head and shoulders above the rest" Really?) . And I ask as an undergrad alumnus who grew up just a short drive away from the school so I would think it would be me who is biased in favor of it.

A lot of it is because it's an international brand name. And many people going to MFE programs are from abroad where names like CMU, Baruch, and even Cornell aren't as well-known as Princeton, Stanford, MIT, and Berkeley.

A lot of it is because it's an international brand name. And many people going to MFE programs are from abroad where names like CMU, Baruch, and even Cornell aren't as well-known as Princeton, Stanford, MIT, and Berkeley.
This makes it very clear for me. From name recognition standpoint, you are probably right.

Now if you are talking about getting a job in the US, that could be a different story.

See the UCB MFE review page on this forum. You will see what happened.

There are 13 positive reviews posted coincidentally in October 2015.

I am a current Baruch MFE student and I have friends at CMU, Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Chicago, and a few others. I have less information on Berkeley and Princeton.

From what I know from friends about internship placement, my colleagues did better than any other program, definitely if you look at the size of the program compared with others and the fact that everyone except for one had internships in New York before May 1. We have students interning in quant groups in every large bank, and the bank I intern in has more Baruch MFE students than from any other program. There are people from other top programs as well interning in my bank, but nobody from programs ranked below 7 in the Quantnet ranking. That makes it a solid ranking.

I am a current Baruch MFE student and I have friends at CMU, Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Chicago, and a few others. I have less information on Berkeley and Princeton.

From what I know from friends about internship placement, my colleagues did better than any other program, definitely if you look at the size of the program compared with others and the fact that everyone except for one had internships in New York before May 1. We have students interning in quant groups in every large bank, and the bank I intern in has more Baruch MFE students than from any other program. There are people from other top programs as well interning in my bank, but nobody from programs ranked below 7 in the Quantnet ranking. That makes it a solid ranking.
wow, ur the first guy confirming my top 7 or bust hypothesis

"There are 13 positive reviews posted coincidentally in October 2015."

I hate when people say stupid s**t. Do some research even using this website before laying useless accusations! All 13 reviews came because someone posted in the class of 15 facebook or an email (I can't even remember which), saying grad do not give enough feedback (which is useful for incoming students). Jeez class of '16 graduated 3 whole months ago and not even one review from that class.

Heck look at all 13 reviews and follow their post on quantnet. You can see their activities from pre-admission to post admission. So to say it looks weird... well.

Anyways like I always say - If you get admitted into UCB, Columbia and Brauch (and money or some other personal reason isn't an issue) - Please choose Brauch! (You will be well ahead of your peers "hope you see the sarcasm in that"). You can also wait a few months till the next QNranking when Brauch will be number 1, so you can say you went to the best FE school in the world.

Cheers

Anyways like I always say - If you get admitted into UCB, Columbia and Brauch (and money or some other personal reason isn't an issue) - Please choose Brauch! (You will be well ahead of your peers "hope you see the sarcasm in that"). You can also wait a few months till the next QNranking when Brauch will be number 1, so you can say you went to the best FE school in the world.

Dude, what IS your problem with the Baruch program? This is not sarcasm, it is offensive, and you ignore facts.

Numbers talk - for Baruch, and Berkeley and CMU you have employment data online. They are all very good and you can trust them. (I want to see the numbers from all the other programs, but they do not post.)

Forget rankings, forget placement (my experience is that placement of my colleagues from Baruch MFE is better than in other programs at most big banks but I do not have enough data to prove). But you have competitions with no bias there - the IAQF competition where Baruch, Berkeley, Chicago won this year and the RITC competition where Baruch won, and you had teams from CMU, Berkeley, Columbia, Princeton, Rutgers doing well but not winning.

And you know what, Berkeley had two teams winning this year in IAQS, and won each of the five years. Baruch won IAQF last year as well. Give credit as credit is won.

I know Berkeley graduates and most are good and nice. I am not sure what your problem is, but stop insulting. You give your program a bad name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back