• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advanced C++ and Modern Design Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Hi all, I am Mohamamd, attending the advanced C++ course.

Objective: Sharpen my C++ 11/14 knowledge. A few years ago, I worked on a Math PhD for 4 years at CUNY. Possibly this time finish the MFE.

Programming Experience: Professionally programming 10+ years in C, C++, Java, Scala, Python, VBA , Bash Shell etc.

Current Status: Rates Macro Modelling Quant at a Investments bank in NYC.

Intended pace: Hope to finish in 3 months.

Mohammad,
I would be very interested in your experiences here with the new functional programming metaphor in C++11 and its advantages.

Enjoy the course!

Regards

Daniel

Dear Professor Duffy,
I've been a student of yours for quite sometime through reading your books "Financial Instrument Pricing Using C++" and "Monte Carlo Frameworks". Books like those helped me gain a foothold in Derivative Pricing System Dev. For functional languages, I've been doing Python and Scala (which aren't pure functional) for sometime. I think C++ 11 introducing lambdas, variadic templates, perfect forwarding along-with time-tested techniques like CRTP and template method pattern etc. allows for far richer programming programming experiences than functional languages. Most functional language techniques are already present, with the advent of lambdas, in C++ 11. Things like currying, memoization and generators aren't probably there in C++, but I think, don't really add value other than being stylistic preferences. Looking forward to learn, practice c++ 11/14 features and Boost libraries in-depth.

Hello, I'm Shilo. Incoming student for Baruch MFE, Fall '18.

Objective: I took the first course last summer, and need to increase my C++ skill / experience

Programming Experience: I work in python, my only C++ experience is the prerequisite to this course.

Current Status: Graduating MS Stats; incoming MFE student.

Intended pace: Attempting to finish prior to July 15 (the beginning of the immersion program.)

Hello Everyone, I'm Zhaofeng, an incoming full-time Baruch MFE student in 2018 Fall. Currently working in an investment bank as an analyst, but soon will go back to school;)

Objective:
To get well prepared for the intensive MFE program at Baruch, as well as to further understand and apply C++ programming skills to solve problems.

Programming Experience: C++, VBA and R

Intended pace: I intend to complete this course before July 15th, really needs to speed up though...(y)

Hi all, I am André, attending the advanced C++ course.

Objective: Main objective is to widen my C++ knowledge, in particular with respect to multithreading.

Programming Experience: Professionally programming 10+ years in C++, F#, Java, Scala, Python, R among others

Current Status: Quant developer at large investment bank.

Intended pace: Finish before the days run out.

Finish before the days run out.

The days are getting a bit shorter these days, but the good news is the evenings are getting longer :)
Having knowledge of functional programming is certainly very good!

Good luck!

Hi all, I am Ziyue Wang, an incoming student of the Baruch MFE program for Fall 2019

Objective: This is required for us incoming Baruch MFE students. And I am happy to refresh my C++ knowledge and advance to a higher stage.

Programming Experience: I am proficient in Python, C++, R

Current Status: Senior Student; incoming MFE student.

Intended pace: I will try to finish it before Feburary 10th.

Hi all, I am Ziyue Wang, an incoming student of the Baruch MFE program for Fall 2019

Objective: This is required for us incoming Baruch MFE students. And I am happy to refresh my C++ knowledge and advance to a higher stage.

Programming Experience: I am proficient in Python, C++, R

Current Status: Senior Student; incoming MFE student.

Intended pace: I will try to finish it before Feburary 10th.
Good luck, Vincent! Distribute effort over the 16 weeks.
Daniel

Hi all, I am Yuxin Liu, an incoming student of the Baruch MFE program for Fall 2019.

Objective: This is required for incoming Baruch MFE students. I am also very excited to get a better understanding of C++

Programming Experience: I have working experience in Matlab and Python, and I also have learned Java and C++.
Current Status: Graduating this year, incoming MFE student.

Intended pace: I will try to finish it before May.

Hi Everyone, I am currently studying through the Pre-MFE program by Baruch College.

Objective: Satisfy the Pre-MFE requirement and continue to learn C++ which I have grown to like very much

Programming Experience: Python, Java & C++

Current Status: Just graduated from my Bachelor's degree

Intended Pace: as quickly as possible

Hi, My name is Bin and I am an incoming MFE student at Baruch. I have 7 years industry experience across Trading and Risk Analytics in US. I realized the importance of C++ especially in quant research roles. I am sure this will be of tremendous help to my career and I am super excited.

Hi all, I am Shiyuan, a junior student majoring in finance and minoring in computer science and in statistics. I am pretty interested in financial engineering! The MFE program in Baruch is really amazing and Baruch is my dream school. To get prepared for the program and have a better grasp of C++, I am happy to enroll in this course!

Objective: Have a better understanding of C++ and master more advanced functionalities of C++.

Programming Experience: Java, C++, Python, R, Matlab.

Current Status: I will be a senior student next semester.

Intended Pace: Finish this course within 2 months.

Thanks Pavlos for inspiring me to take both the first and the second course in C/C++ on QUANTNET INC with your very encouraging testimonial. I just registered for the Advanced C++ level today and I am excited about where this is leading me.

Objective: Have a better understanding of C++ and master more advanced functionalities of C++.

Programming Experience: C++ Programming for Financial Engineering.

Current Status: Civil Engineer at New York City Transit looking for programming opportunities in the financial services industry.

Intended Pace: Finish this course before the deadline.

Mamadou

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'm looking forward to studying C++ with you all.

Objective: Learn C++ for career advance and prepare for potential part time CS degree.

Programming Experience: C++ course 1, Python, MATLAB, VBA

Current Status: Senior Quant Analyst.

Intended pace: Follow the recommended pace, complete the course before deadline.

I feel very inspired to enroll to C++ Advanced course after taking C++ Level 1 and Practical Python with Applications in Finance courses a year ago. During this year I had to apply Python at work extensively and these comprehensive and very well structured courses helped me be efficient.

Objective: Learn advanced C++ to be able to efficiently apply it in business aligned applications.

Programming Experience: C++ Programming for Financial Engineering, Practical Python with Applications in Finance (Scriptuni)

Current Status: Quant risk analyst

Intended Pace: Finish this course before the deadline.

Konstantin

Back