• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Anything from 2024 Columbia MFE?

Is the GRE an important component? Do we need to score full marks? Thought this became optional…

Is the GRE an important component? Do we need to score full marks? Thought this became optional…
If you feel your application could use some boosting the GRE could help supplement, however only submit a good one. If you feel like its already strong, don’t bother wasting your time taking it.

I don't think its published for MFE but GRE for admitted candidates in Columbia MAFN is usually a perfect quant score so probably the same for here.

Maybe do they take in more grads with FTE for mfe? Or grads with internship experience..

Last edited:
Maybe do they take in more grads with FTE for mfe? Or grads with internship experience..
From my understanding, some experience (including internships) is almost a quasi-requirement for most programs. I'm sure there are exceptions for exceptional candidates but I think at least one semi-relevant internship is probably a minimum requirement.

From their FAQs:
Is work experience required?

While not required, we do recommend that prospective students have some professional experience, either in the form of a full time position or an internship.

From my understanding, some experience (including internships) is almost a quasi-requirement for most programs. I'm sure there are exceptions for exceptional candidates but I think at least one semi-relevant internship is probably a minimum requirement.

From their FAQs:
Is work experience required?

While not required, we do recommend that prospective students have some professional experience, either in the form of a full time position or an internship.
Thanks! What do you think about internships vs GRE vs research? Is there an order in which the committee prefers

Thanks! What do you think about internships vs GRE vs research? Is there an order in which the committee prefers
Not specific to this program but from what I know from info sessions and chats with admissions officers is that internships and research are all subjective. They usually like to say they take a holistic approach.

A published math paper in a major journal is probably worth more than one year of experience at a no-name wealth management firm and 8 weeks at an HFT is probably worth more than a year long business thesis.

GRE is pretty safe to say that its not a leading component anywhere, probably used more as a filter or tiebreaker.

Not specific to this program but from what I know from info sessions and chats with admissions officers is that internships and research are all subjective. They usually like to say they take a holistic approach.

A published math paper in a major journal is probably worth more than one year of experience at a no-name wealth management firm and 8 weeks at an HFT is probably worth more than a year long business thesis.

GRE is pretty safe to say that its not a leading component anywhere, probably used more as a filter or tiebreaker.
That’s true… hope we get to hear something this week

I just got accepted!!

I noticed the status disappeared from my portal this afternoon and got an email saying there was a status update a few hours later.. good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!
Congratulations 🎉 I might be a bit behind but what do you mean “status disappeared from my portal” ?

Back