• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Anything from 2024 Columbia MFE?

Mine's a week. Isn't that too short a timeline? Is anyone in the same situation as mine?

For those of you who received your offer in the past week, was the deadline in one week for all of you? I'm thinking they might have shortened the deposit timeline to speed up the admissions process.

This is an unrelated question...but just curiously asking anybody who might know. Is Emanuel Derman still actively involved in the Columbia MFE program?

Did anyone get an acceptance without the status change as ‘under faculty review’?

Did anyone get an acceptance without the status change as ‘under faculty review’?
I would like to know this too, because I have no status change even now. If it means that they have not gotten around to reviewing my application yet, that is kinda weird.

I would like to know this too, because I have no status change even now. If it means that they have not gotten around to reviewing my application yet, that is kinda weird.
My status has never changed either, since the day I submitted my application.

I'd hate to point out the obvious, but I think our applications didn't even make it past first screening. In other words, the admission guys didn't feel it's necessary to forward our applications for faculty review.

I'd hate to point out the obvious, but I think our applications didn't even make it past first screening. In other words, the admission guys didn't feel it's necessary to forward our applications for faculty review.
No current status either. This is sad

That does seem most likely at this point yes, but if that is indeed the case why not just send out the descisions? If they have rejected me at a very early stage, not communicating it immediately seems fruitless. I'd rather know something than nothing.

That does seem most likely at this point yes, but if that is indeed the case why not just send out the descisions? If they have rejected me at a very early stage, not communicating it immediately seems fruitless. I'd rather know something than nothing.
They want to see the response for students who are a better fit. If the yield is low, they send another batch for review.

Has anyone with the Current Status header gotten a rejection so far? Can we assume that having the header is a necessary condition for an admit/reject/waitlist? Also has anyone been waitlisted by Columbia so far?

What Alex said. Unfortunately Columbia gives decent emphasis to their acceptance rate in the admit process, and it doesn't seem their team is quick either. There are people who did straight up get rejected immediately, there are people who have had nothing at all happen, there are people (like me) who have just had the under review status for months, it appears aside from people who got instantly admitted that membership in the latter group is a requirement for admission based on this forum. But if you haven't been rejected yet your chances are not 0 and people are still having their status change. What does confuse me is the people like myself who have been under review forever while the faculty has been taking on more reviews, maybe I and others are just consistently at the bottom of applications they've considering, but then why push our applications for review so early on in filtering process in the first place when we clearly aren't what they're looking for.

What Alex said. Unfortunately Columbia gives decent emphasis to their acceptance rate in the admit process, and it doesn't seem their team is quick either. There are people who did straight up get rejected immediately, there are people who have had nothing at all happen, there are people (like me) who have just had the under review status for months, it appears aside from people who got instantly admitted that membership in the latter group is a requirement for admission based on this forum. But if you haven't been rejected yet your chances are not 0 and people are still having their status change. What does confuse me is the people like myself who have been under review forever while the faculty has been taking on more reviews, maybe I and others are just consistently at the bottom of applications they've considering, but then why push our applications for review so early on in filtering process in the first place when we clearly aren't what they're looking for.
Well, at least you know you are being considered, for I think the most of us, we don't even know if we are. Before April, they were still sending applications to the faculty committee, but I don't think they are doing that anymore, at least not that I know of. I didn't hear anyone get the status update since late March.

With that said, the chances are that the ones being considered have already been moved to the faculty committee. I used to think that maybe the review has not got to me, but with the number of remaining applicants who don't have the current status heading as we approach mid April, I'm more or less convinced that we just didn't pass the first round of screening. Take what I said however you like of course since nothing I said is technically confirmed, but I just feel like this is likely what's happening.

Well, at least you know you are being considered, for I think the most of us, we don't even know if we are. Before April, they were still sending applications to the faculty committee, but I don't think they are doing that anymore, at least not that I know of. I didn't hear anyone get the status update since late March.

With that said, the chances are that the ones being considered have already been moved to the faculty committee. I used to think that maybe the review has not got to me, but with the number of remaining applicants who don't have the current status heading as we approach mid April, I'm more or less convinced that we just didn't pass the first round of screening. Take what I said however you like of course since nothing I said is technically confirmed, but I just feel like this is likely what's happening.
I can see the reasoning for sure, ig I just think along the same lines as kwatz, if they aren't moving more applications for review, then why not just send out the rejections now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not confident in anyone's chances at this point if you haven't already been accepted but I wouldn't write it off as a rejection just yet

I can see the reasoning for sure, ig I just think along the same lines as kwatz, if they aren't moving more applications for review, then why not just send out the rejections now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not confident in anyone's chances at this point if you haven't already been accepted but I wouldn't write it off as a rejection just yet
I agree. If they are sure that they would not consider some of the applications, they should give out decisions, so people can move onto other programs, and they can focus on a smaller pool. I guess they just want to leave their options open, in case they change their mind or the latest batch responded poorly.

Back