• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ online certificate for MFE applicants

it works fine - but the layout of those MS powerpoint slides is really disturbing my eyes.
Why don't you use latex instead?

it works fine - but the layout of those MS powerpoint slides is really disturbing my eyes.
Why don't you use latex instead?

Which part(s)? Background colour etc.

Latex is for maths?

BTW PowerPoint is used everyhere.

What device did you test on? I know iOS devices can't play Flash so this player should automatically display HTML5 player and theoritically work on all platforms.

Waiting for someone with an IPhone/iPad to confirm.

Laptop

Which part(s)? Background colour etc.

Latex is for maths?

BTW PowerPoint is used everyhere.

The background colour as well as font colour. I would use a white background with blue or black font colour. It is much easier to learn follow a presentation with such a simplistic design.
Latex slides can be used for everything and I think that the layout is much better (plus creating the presentation is done quicker).

The background colour as well as font colour. I would use a white background with blue or black font colour. It is much easier to learn follow a presentation with such a simplistic design.
Latex slides can be used for everything and I think that the layout is much better (plus creating the presentation is done quicker).
Thanks, we will look into it. It's not much effort to change colour and font.

How about a return to the old quantnet colors (light grey/offwhite background)? ;)

Bright white can be a little... vibrant

Hello!
This is my first post here, I felt that I just had to register when I saw this thread!

My background is that I have master's degree in mathematics with finance as my specialization. I have some courses in programming like JAVA, Matlab and a High performance programming course (Fortran and C). But my impression while looking for various quant jobs is that almost all require exceptional skills in C++. So I've decided I need to do something about that!

In order to become more attractive on the job market. Do you think this course is something for me, or is it too basic? I have previous knowledge in C++ but I haven't taken any courses.

Best regards,
DT

Hello!
This is my first post here, I felt that I just had to register when I saw this thread!

My background is that I have master's degree in mathematics with finance as my specialization. I have some courses in programming like JAVA, Matlab and a High performance programming course (Fortran and C). But my impression while looking for various quant jobs is that almost all require exceptional skills in C++. So I've decided I need to do something about that!

In order to become more attractive on the job market. Do you think this course is something for me, or is it too basic? I have previous knowledge in C++ but I haven't taken any courses.

Best regards,
DT
Hi DT,
The point about this course is that it leaves (almost) no stone unturned and we do STL, Boost and quant applications in C++ as well. (As the course progresses we do more and bigger examples directly related to QF). I am not aware of any other course doing this.

It is hard to say if it is too easy for you; from my experience with MSc students and the fact that C++ is big, my guess is you would benefit, not just the language but also in applying it.

What does 'previous knowledge' mean?

Hi DT,
The point about this course is that it leaves (almost) no stone unturned and we do STL, Boost and quant applications in C++ as well. (As the course progresses we do more and bigger examples directly related to QF). I am not aware of any other course doing this.

It is hard to say if it is too easy for you; from my experience with MSc students and the fact that C++ is big, my guess is you would benefit, not just the language but also in applying it.

What does 'previous knowledge' mean?

Hi!

I'm sorry for being unclear. With previous knowledge I mean the basics like pointers, dynamic memory, data structures, classes and namespaces. But it was some 4 years ago so it's kind of fading away.

From the description, the course sounds extremely appealing and especially the QF applications. My main question is probably not if it will be too easy for me but rather if employer will regard it as a merit. I personally am quite confident that I will be able to snap up the required skills fairly quickly but that's not easy for an employer to know.

/DT

Hi!

I'm sorry for being unclear. With previous knowledge I mean the basics like pointers, dynamic memory, data structures, classes and namespaces. But it was some 4 years ago so it's kind of fading away.

From the description, the course sounds extremely appealing and especially the QF applications. My main question is probably not if it will be too easy for me but rather if employer will regard it as a merit. I personally am quite confident that I will be able to snap up the required skills fairly quickly but that's not easy for an employer to know.

/DT
Just give me the employer number so I can ring him/her:)

Seriously, QN/Baruch/DD are on this so the full support will be fine. I am sure Andy can give more details.

With previous knowledge I mean the basics like pointers, dynamic memory, data structures, classes and namespaces.

We do much more.

Just give me the employer number so I can ring him/her:)

Seriously, QN/Baruch/DD are on this so the full support will be fine. I am sure Andy can give more details.

With previous knowledge I mean the basics like pointers, dynamic memory, data structures, classes and namespaces.

We do much more.

Can you give us an exemple of the projects applicants will have to do during this course ?

An Introduction to STL

• The 6 STL components
  • Sequential data containers
  • Iterators
  • Algorithms
  • Function objects
  • Using STL in your applications
An Introduction to Boost C++ Libraries

• What is Boost? Overview
  • Matrix and Vectors: uBLAS library
  • Continuous and Discrete Statistical Distributions
  • Random number generation
  • Special function in Math Toolkit
  • Solution of nonlinear equations
Applications to Financial Engineering and Test Cases

• Black Scholes equation: analytic solution
  • A simple binomial method in C++
  • A one-factor Monte Carlo simulator
  • Using C++ numerical analysis libraries
  • Software design essentials

This interests me :)

Can you give us an exemple of the projects applicants will have to do during this course ?

Hi didje
The post from hariadja kind of answers your questions on the kinds of application, I hope. Of course there will be an an offiicial announcement.

Hi didje
The post from hariadja kind of answers your questions on the kinds of application, I hope. Of course there will be an an offiicial announcement.

Yes it is ! I'm waiting for the official announcement :)

Back