• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

C# and C++ are very similar, BUT C# protects you from nasty memory mgt.

So, learn C well in the first modules to complement what C# is silent on.

Enjoy it!

Objective: Learn C++ for possible career change
Programming Experience: a little VBA
Current Work: Analyst at a large bank....Doing valuation & pricing for MBS/CMO and structured notes.
Intended Pace: hopefully 3 month

Hello everyone, I am happy to join you guys to learn this C++ course
Objective: learn C++ for MFE program
Programming Experience: Little experience except for one undergraduate course about programming using Dr.Racket.
Current status: 4th year finance student minored in mathematics

Hi everyone!

Objective: Admission to MFE programs and improve my programming skills

Programming experience: A little experience working with VBA

Current work: no job right now, I recently moved to NY.

Intended pace of program: Hopefully by May. 1.

Objective: Learn C++ for MFE program
Programming Experience: Java, PHP, actionscript
Current Work: Java developer in market risk technology
Intended Pace: Hope to finish within the next few weeks​

Hello all,

Objective: Learn C++ for MFE program as well as current role
Programming Experience: VBA
Current Work: Market Data Analyst at IB
Intended Pace: Uncertain, but going to devote nights and weekends to getting up to speed.

Hello all,

Objective: Learn C++ for MFE program, learn how to model with C++, meet people in pursuit of similar objectives

Programming Experience: A little C++ and Maple from undergraduate Mech Eng coursework.
Current Work: Manufacturing/Design Engineer for Fortune 500 company.
Intended Pace: As fast as possible. Hope to finish the program before the end of March.

Hello all,

Objective: Learn C++ for MFE programs as well as future career development

Programming experience: fundamental C++ knowledge; R; VBA; Matlab; SAS; Mathematica

Current work: Mathematics and Economics Student

Intended pace: As fast as possible. Hope to finish the courses before beginning of MFE study.

Objective: Learn C++ through to intermediate/advanced levels (including outside readings); admission to MFE programs.
Programming experience: 1 semester in Java, 1 semester with VBA, and 1 semester with MATLAB, but all as secondary objectives in courses where focus was not programming. Looking forward to learning this fundamental language exclusively!
Current work: Bachelor's in Civil Engineering, Minors in Physics and Math. Currently work as a Tunnel Engineer for an international design firm.
Intended pace of program: Ideally by by May. 15.

Hello, everyone!

Objective: Learn C++ and a bit about financial engineering
Programming Experience: Deep Java and Perl experience, along with UNIX-based shell scripting
Current Work: Professional Services Technical Consultant at a major technology firm
Intended Pace: Hoping to step it up a bit and finish within ten weeks here but getting a slow start.

Hi all,

I am currently working at a financial software company in new york (I have one year of work experience).
I have studied economics in college.

Objective: Improve my understanding on C++ for admission to MFE programs.
Programming Exp.: basic exposure to SQL
Intended Pace: I am not sure at this moment. I think I might have to experience this program a little further to have an answer to this question.

Hi all,

I am currently working at a financial software company in new york (I have one year of work experience).
I have studied economics in college.

Objective: Improve my understanding on C++ for admission to MFE programs.
Programming Exp.: basic exposure to SQL
Intended Pace: I am not sure at this moment. I think I might have to experience this program a little further to have an answer to this question.
Important in this case that you also learn the fundametals about variables, how they are stored and used. The sections on C will be vital in this respect.

Good luck with the course!

Hi Everyone,

Objective: learn C++ for future career
Programming Exp: some VB
Intended Pace: I'll try my best, every evening after work, and weekend.

Objective: Learn C++ to prepare myself for MFE application.

Programming Experience:one introductory course in C++ 3 years ago ( I don't remember much to be honest.)

Current Work: 3rd year Finance/Math student at University of British Columbia (it is located in Vancouver, BC, Canada)

Intended Pace: Within 3 months.

Hi Everyone,

Objective: Learn C++ for the MQF program at the University of Waterloo
Programming Experience: PHP, SQL, VBA, Java
Current Work: Unemployed
Intended Pace: It depends on future job prospects, but say within 2 months

Hi Everyone!,

My info:
Objective: Learn basic financial modelling with C++. Hopefully get a quant or similar programming job
Programming experience: (Limited) C/C++, Java, Python, Excel VBA
Current work: Junior I.T. consultant for financial institutions.
Intended pace: As quick as I can.

Hello: This is Nancy. I am currently a senior, studying Finance at San Diego State University. Glad to meet you all.

Objective: get familiar with C++ for admission to MFE programs

Programming experience:Not much

Current work: still a student.

Intended pace of program: Currently studying for CFA Level I. I am taking the exam in this June. Now the school work is also very stressing. So I just hope I can get the certificate on time. Maybe sometime in June.

Back