C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Hey everyone,

Objectives
: I've done little bits of programming here and there, but I'm hoping to use this course to build a strong base of knowledge in C++ programming fundamentals for work/possibly grad school.
Programming Experience: Some R, Java and SQL
Current Work: Energy trader
Intended Pace: No rush, I'd like to get the most I possibly can out of this course

Objective: Learn C++ before joining the MAFN program in Columbia

Programming Exp.: C

Current Work: Final year finance student.

Intended pace: Wish to complete the course before September 2014

Objective: Learn C++ for MFE program.
Programming Experience: C
Intended Pace: I hope to complete it before the beginning of September 2014

Hi all, I'm a Rutgers student majoring in chemical engineering and math.

Objective: To learn C++ for admission to MFE programs.

Programming experience: Matlab for ChemE coursework and an industrial engineering project, 1 semester of C++, a little bit of python.

Current work: Entering my senior year.

Intended pace of program: As quick as I can, though I may be distracted by an intern and other work.

Objective: admission to MFE programs.

Programming experience: Matlab, python, R, VBA, C, JAVA, Perl, GO (learning for fun : ))

Current work: Ph. D. in Computational biology and earning my certificate in financial engineering

Intended pace of program: As quick as I can

Objective: Learn C++ (I think this program is competitive so I will be pushed to learn more)
Programming exp: Python mostly for using SAGE, a python based mathematics software
Current Work: Assistant Professor of Mathematics at LaGuardia Community College
Intended pace: I plan on doing about 3 lessons every two weeks, once I get going :).

Objective: Learn C++ for admission to MFE programs

Programming Exp.: none.

Current Work: second year economics student

Intended pace: Looking to finish by October

Hi, I am an undergraduate student at Baruch College.

Objective: Learn C++ for admission to Baruch MFE program

Programming Exp.: None

Current Work: An intern at a P/E

Intended pace: I wish I could finish and get the certificate of this course by the end of this summer.

Objective: Learn C++ for applying MFE program
Programming Experience: None
Current Work: undergraduate student
Intended Pace: want to finish it before the end of Sep.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I hope to get to know some of you and maybe even work with some. My programming background is limited, but I have a good finance background and a passion for derivative securities.

Objective: learn C++ to try to gain access to some internships

Programming Experience: MATLAB in an undergraduate Numerical Analysis course
Current Work: unemployed
Intended Pace: I am a recent graduate from a BS program. Trying to gain some skills before attempting to enter job market

Hi everyone, I am a Canadian student from University of Toronto.

Objective: To gain understanding of C++ language and become comfortable with coding independently. I am looking to use this course as a stepping stone to quant finance jobs.

Programming Exp.: None (does TeX count?)

Current Work: Analyst at a management consulting company specialized in life sciences.

Intended pace: Looking to finish the certificate before September, which is when I will be attending MFE (Financial Economics) at Western.

Objective: Gain understanding of C++ for Quant jobs and for admission to MFE Program

Programming Experience: SAS in Credit risk modelling, exposure to Matlab, SPSS, C, VBA in graduation projects

Current Work: Credit Risk Analyst. Base SAS Certified. Certified FRM, Cleared CFA level 1

Intended pace: Hope to finish as soon as possible.

Back