• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Objective: To learn C++ for admission to MFE programs.

Programming experience: Verilog HDL, some python, C and I'm currently taking a C# game programming course @ coursera for fun.

Current work: I work for a trading company designing FPGA acceleration boards. Past jobs have included designing high speed networking hardware for companies including SpaceX

Intended pace of program: With work, C# and also taking an intro to Financial Engineering Course on Coursera It may very well take me 20 weeks, but I'm shooting for 16 weeks or less.
I think knowing the object-oriented features in C# will be very helpful in the later stages of C++ course which also discusses option pricing using maths such as Monte Carlo and binomial method.

I'd start a new world to me.

Objective: To learn C++ for admission to MFE programs.

Programming experience: actuallly only few experience. This couse might be challenging to me, but I will try my best to overcome it.

Current work: Financial mathematic student

Intended pace of program: before May.

hi everybody :)

Objective
: Learn C++ for MFE program
Programming EXP : VBA , a little bit C , R
Current Work : Intern at a Securities company
Intended Pace : before July

Hi it's Jimmy from Peking University and I just noticed this thread.:rolleyes:

Objective:
Prof. Stefanica requires me to finish advanced course before summer and I though I'd better finish this one first.:ROFLMAO:

Programming experience: C++ (when I was still a freshman undergraduate), python (self learning at codecademy), R (used in microstructure course and internship), MATLAB (used in advanced econometric course).

Current work: Senior undergraduate from Peking University who received an offer from Baruch MFE.

Intended pace of program: Hope I could finish this course within two weeks and move on to the advanced one, though it sounds like mission impossible.:cry:

Hi everyone

Objective:
Like Jimmy, Prof. Stefanica requires me to finish advanced course before summer and I though I'd better finish this one first.

Programming experience: C++, python, MATLAB

Current work: Researcher

Intended pace of program: Like Jimmy, hope I could finish this course within two weeks and move on to the advanced one, though it sounds like mission impossible.

Hi it's Young who was the classmate of Jimmy

Objective:
The same reason with Jimmy

Programming experience: C++ (have learned from Coursera), R (self leaned), MATLAB (used in internship and research projects).

Current work: a student who received an offer from Baruch MFE.

Intended pace of program: unlike Jimmy, I think 3 weeks would be fine for me

Objective: To learn C++ for MFE program.
Programming Experience: Java, C#, C++
Current Work: Accountant
Intended Pace: Since I am also doing a graduate certificate in quantitative finance through Wilmott, I intend to finish this before I submit my last project by June.

Hi all, I am a math and statistics double major.

Objective: To satisfy my condition for final admission to the MFE program.

Programming Exp.: R, Python

Current Work: Final semester at college.

Intended pace: Wish to complete the course by June 20th because the school would want proof of completion by July 1st.

Hello all. I recently completed my undergraduate degree, double majoring in Finance and Mathematics.

Objective: I have always wanted to pursue the Masters of Financial Engineering/Quantitative Finance degree and believe performing well in this course and thereafter the Advanced C++11/C++14 and Multidisciplinary Applications course will assist me in getting into a reputable program.

Programming experience: MATLAB, R and Python for undergrad, currently using VBA for my job.

Current work: Interned in Sales & Trading over the summer but currently working as a management consultant at a small healthcare consulting shop. I plan on taking the FRM Part I this December and am already ~40% through the course material.

Intended pace of program:
I believe I can finish in 13 weeks.

Last edited:
Hey everybody!

Objective: To learn C++ and get a better idea as to if I would like to switch career paths.

Programming experience: Mostly Python and R for the past 5-6 years.

Current work: My BS is in chemical and petroleum engineering and I have been working in the E&P industry for the past 15 years - specifically reservoir engineering, concentrating on acquisitions and divestitures in North America. With the oil price downturn, the fact that my job is very financial in nature, and the fact that I like to do programming in my spare time, I am looking at possibly changing professions.

Intended pace of program:
As fast as I can. I have a consulting business, but want to devote a lot of time to this, so I am shooting for 12 to the full 16 weeks.

Back