• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Objective: Learn and become proficient in C++ to apply for MFE programs.
Programming Experience: None
Current Work: Currently a Senior at Manhattan College studying Finance & Economics
Intended Pace: Not very sure but I am hoping that once I get going I will have it done pretty smoothly

Objective: Learn and become proficient in C++ to apply for MFE programs.
Current Work: Currently a Senior at Manhattan College studying Finance & Economics
Intended Pace: Not very sure but I am hoping that once I get going I will have it done pretty smoothly
I think you'll be fine; great support from the TAs here and great interaction with the other students.
Good luck.

Hi!
I am an undergraduate student from China. Now I am preparing for applying graduate programs in Financial Engineering.

Objective: To learn C++ for admission to MFE programs.

Programming experience: Python, R, Matlab(a little...)

Current work: Senior year of finance major

Intended pace of program: As quick as possible! Hope I can manage to acquire this programming language.

Hello everyone,
I am looking forward to have a comprehensive study on C++.

Objective: To learn C++ for admission to Business Analysis.

Programming experience: Into level C++

Current work: Risk Management Intern

Intended pace of program: Hope i could learn well as quick as possible!

Happy holidays and what a wonderful time to start a new program!

Objective: Learn C++ in Financial Engineering context. I want to transition into quantitative space with 100% commitments.

Programming experience: SQL, VBA, Python (through pre-MFE program), Java, C (through online education program)

Current work:
9 years professional experience in asset management. Non-quantitative components.

Intended pace of program: Accelerated between now and new year, 4 hrs during workdays and 6-8 hrs during non-workdays. Depends on how much can be done and will have to slow down as work builds-up after year-end. Will adjust my schedule accordingly.

Good luck!
The C++ syntax etc. takes a bit of getting used to. So, if you get stuck really, take a break and /or ask the TAs.

Training/study blocks of 2 hours is not a bad strategy.

Last edited:
Objective: To learn C++ for admission to MFE programs.

Programming experience: Elementary Java and Python.

Current work: Freshmen double-majoring mathematics and economics with a minor in business.

Intended pace: Plan to finish the course before the end of January 2020.

Hi everyone, looking forward to this course and working with all of you.

Objective: Learn C++ to help my applications to MFE / quantitative finance masters programs (applications are in for admission in Fall 2020)

Programming experience: None at all but hoping to change that with this course...

Current work: Worked as an investment banker at a large bank for the last two years after getting my MBA. Left my job recently to focus on applying to MFE / quant finance programs to transition from I-banking to a more quant / asset management-type role.

Intended pace: Plan to finish the course before the end of January 2020. I start two in-person math courses at Baruch's Pre-MFE Program in late January, so I hope to have this completed by then so I can focus on those.

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year!

Objective: Learn C++ for potential admission to a MFE Program

Programming experience: None but want to learn

Current work: Currently works at a market making firm

Intended pace: Hopefully 6 - 8 weeks

Hello everyone,

I'm a Business Econ major and trying to get a Master in Business Analytics. Hope everything goes well for you all!

Objective: Learning C++ for data analysis and cumulate necessary coding skills for BA
Current Work: Senior undergraduate student
Intended pace: must be done by Jan 15th if possible......

Hello everyone,

I'm a Business Econ major and trying to get a Master in Business Analytics. Hope everything goes well for you all!

Objective: Learning C++ for data analysis and cumulate necessary coding skills for BA
Current Work: Senior undergraduate student
Intended pace: must be done by Jan 15th if possible......
Jan 15 2020?? No way. Give yourself 16 weeks.

@APalley
@GONG CHEN

Hi Everyone,
I am a graduate student of Operations research at Columbia.
How much hours every week on average I need to work for this course to get certificate in distinction.
I have good experience of building quantitative models in python ( Quantopian / Jupyter platform ) and optimization models using Gurobi.

Back