• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Columbia MFE 2018 Applications

One from UCI received it. Btw, I noticed that u have already got NYU MathFin and CMU MSCF. Do u prefer Columbia mfe than those two?
Thanks for the info. I'm still not sure, but personally more inclined to MSCF. As an undergrad from CMU, I have some connections in MSCF, so I know how great the program is (career service/curriculum). Based on what I know, the career service of NYU math fin and Columbia are probably not as great as MSCF, placement stats still great though. On the other hand, as a quant heavy program NYU prepares students better for buy side companies while Columbia has an advantage for its brand name. Overall they are all great programs and will eventually place you to a good position in the industry. When making a choice, it's really what kind of experience you want in the program matters. I will at least wait for Columbia to make a decision.

Thanks for the info. I'm still not sure, but personally more inclined to MSCF. As an undergrad from CMU, I have some connections in MSCF, so I know how great the program is (career service/curriculum). Based on what I know, the career service of NYU math fin and Columbia are probably not as great as MSCF, placement stats still great though. On the other hand, as a quant heavy program NYU prepares students better for buy side companies while Columbia has an advantage for its brand name. Overall they are all great programs and will eventually place you to a good position in the industry. When making a choice, it's really what kind of experience you want in the program matters. I will at least wait for Columbia to make a decision.
Yeah. Thanks for sharing. What we can do now is just waiting. I think there will some positions available to us. Good luck to us all!

I am sure you'll be selected by Columbia, Susan. I am waiting too, but perhaps for a rejection email. :P

I'm sure there are others like that person. Getting admitted without being interviewed defeats the whole purpose of it. Moreover, it isn't even a technical.

I applied for Columbia MFE and haven't received any messages, not yet an interview invite. I'd just like to put my credentials out here to see if I still have a chance to get in. GRE 332(Q169/V163), undergrad at Fordham majoring Applied Accounting and Finance. Applying for the program right out of undergrad. I had one wealth management internship in China and one Corporate Finance internship at a Fortune 500 in the US. Passed CFA level 1 in 2017. I do not have much math or programming classes in the past, and no IB experience. Is it still the case that Columbia might redirect students to MSOR? Please let me know your opinions about my possibility. Thank you!

The irony is that few months back I did think my profile is really good, that I might not need an interview lol :P And I do not have any offers (Although I have just applied btw, 2nd/last deadline)

I think my experience is the issue. 4+ yrs in an investment bank as a quant, now working in a high frequency trading firm as a trader/strategist. Think they don't need ppl who are already in this field :(

The irony is that few months back I did think my profile is really good, that I might not need an interview lol :P And I do not have any offers (Although I have just applied btw, 2nd/last deadline)

I think my experience is the issue. 4+ yrs in an investment bank as a quant, now working in a high frequency trading firm as a trader/strategist. Think they don't need ppl who are already in this field :(
Sounds like you already have the job someone from this program would want. Why are you going back to school?

Everyone has a reason for application. I won't go into the details, but let's just say I have to move to US and there's no other way.

Wow looks like you are overqualified for every program here.

Wow looks like you are overqualified for every program here.
I don't know that, but I am really not happy about it lol. Applying directly to companies in the US does not help. There's literally no other way to enter that market. Also with a good university, I can actually get a huge jump in my career.

Anyway, best of luck to you guys.

I don't know that, but I am really not happy about it lol. Applying directly to companies in the US does not help. There's literally no other way to enter that market. Also with a good university, I can actually get a huge jump in my career.

Anyway, best of luck to you guys.
I don’t have the full picture on why you want to move to the US, but if you have a full time job at hand, you can just apply next year.

FYI, many people admitted before me told me that Columbia cares more about your GPA than your work experience. Schools like CMU, Princeton and UCB definitely prefer work experience over 3.9+

Back