• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Columbia MFE 2018 Applications

Hey guys!

I wanted to know your views between UCLA MFE and Columbia MFE. I personally am looking to get into asset management later on in my career. California has plenty of buy-side opportunities, and as the course is offered by a b-school in the area surely has some advantages. The placement rates also look very strong.

The Columbia MFE program however has an "Asset Allocation" concentration which I am very interested in. From what I see the UCLA MFE program has less flexibility.

My question is, is it worth going to Columbia MFE over UCLA MFE when my goal is to work in a buy-side firm? I would greatly appreciate your thoughts!

Hi All
I got admitted into Columbia. Received AD on Thursday.
It looks like there is a Wechat group, can someone join me to the group?

Hey guys!

I wanted to know your views between UCLA MFE and Columbia MFE. I personally am looking to get into asset management later on in my career. California has plenty of buy-side opportunities, and as the course is offered by a b-school in the area surely has some advantages. The placement rates also look very strong.

The Columbia MFE program however has an "Asset Allocation" concentration which I am very interested in. From what I see the UCLA MFE program has less flexibility.

My question is, is it worth going to Columbia MFE over UCLA MFE when my goal is to work in a buy-side firm? I would greatly appreciate your thoughts!
Do you need visa? One of my friends did MFE from UCLA, he is presently working in Big4 as he couldn't even find a job in banking. Friends from Columbia - they are doing much better.

Hey guys!

Do you need visa sponsorship? One of my friends who did MFE from UCLA and needed visa sponsorship, he is presently working in Big4 as he couldn't even find a job in banking. Friends from Columbia - they are doing much better.

Thanks for the colour! Yes, I will be needing visa sponsorship. I am more inclined to Columbia as of now... NY will definitely offer more opportunities

i'd say yes as some people who received admission will decline, and only ~15 have been admitted on quantnet which is half of what occurred last year

There would be more, but there's no correlation between last year's and this year's numbers. Why are we pointing that out so many times?

I just assume that the number of admissions posted on quantnet won't change a lot. Give myself some sort of placebo

I only pay attention to the slots left for us. At least, more than 10 admissions available I guess if all applicants have actively updated their profile.

How can you imply how many slot are "left for us"?. You must have a stats background to apply to these programs. How can you say something like this?

In 2017, 76 people updated their tracker (Assuming: a) not fake posts, b) not troll posts, c) no duplicate updates, etc, etc).

Out of those 76, there were 37 admitted... 49%.... very representative of Columbia's admission rate... right? According to the resources page 1,326 people applied to that MFE with 119 getting an admit offer. Do you actually think that a biased sample size of 76 is an accurate representation that can be used as a reliable predictor on this year's admission yield on an anonymous internet forum?

Now, I wholeheartedly believe that the vast majority of the tracker updates are legitimate. I find little reason to believe that there's a good amount of people that will screw with that, there's no personal gain but mere puny bizarre satisfaction for a lunatic to fake on purpose. I do believe that there is a good possibility that some of the people that are pending to update the tracker will get admitted. Lets just not focus too much on unnecessary things. I'm sure you have a chance, just chill... give it time.

Back