• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

God's laptop

Just sold my Sony Vaio Z for $1,020. Bought it about 8 months ago used for $1,100. Just sayin'

Seems like PC manufacturers are making better quality computers these days... Before I migrated to Mac, I had been a PC user. My Gateway and HP laptops both died on me before they hit the two year mark

My computer did not crash. Ubuntu had a fit when I tried updating. It's a mess waiting to happen. When I reinstall Ubuntu I will have a strict no-update rule.

As I said before, that is true. Mac is a drug called simplicity. People can do certain things with a Mac that they could not figure out how to with Windows. It's also more appealing. That being said, Windows (IMHO) is still more powerful. Linux is probably better than both I am just not good enough at it yet to be certain.

yes you need antivirus in windows. you don't need one at mac. I have gone and downloaded numerous documents online and still my computer is working completely fine. you sound jealous boy.
As I said. Once (if) Apple OS ever becomes popular enough, the viruses will hit with a vengeance collapsing every Apple computer in the world.

why do you switch computers so often?
I love technology. Every time a new laptop/ tablet comes out I flip for fun. My wife hates me for it. Remember that Lenovo I bought 2 weeks ago? Here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130563420489?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Point is, I am constantly in search of the perfect solution for myself. That is, a fast, lightweight, under $2,000 (used is fine) combination of laptop/ tablet. The tablet must have a very high resolution (see Motion le1700 SXGA) and a Wacom digitizer.

Since no such laptop exists, I have been toying with combos of laptops/ tablets for years now. Every once in a while I try a convertible tablet like this Lenovo. The results are almost always disappointing. The laptop aspect is usually OK, but the tablet half is never very good. The biggest letdown on this particular model is the resolution.

Just for the record: Windows is pretty darn good at blocking viruses. I have been using Windows + Kaspersky Anti-Virus for 3 years now and so far no viruses.

Correction, Kapersky Anti-Virus is really good at blocking viruses.

30 minutes of using a Mac and a lifetime of Windows. :cool:

I love technology. Every time a new laptop/ tablet comes out I flip for fun. My wife hates me for it. Remember that Lenovo I bought 2 weeks ago? Here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130563420489?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Point is, I am constantly in search of the perfect solution for myself. That is, a fast, lightweight, under $2,000 (used is fine) combination of laptop/ tablet. The tablet must have a very high resolution (see Motion le1700 SXGA) and a Wacom digitizer.

Since no such laptop exists, I have been toying with combos of laptops/ tablets for years now. Every once in a while I try a convertible tablet like this Lenovo. The results are almost always disappointing. The laptop aspect is usually OK, but the tablet half is never very good. The biggest letdown on this particular model is the resolution.

This is what I can see from your posts. I don't think you have ever used a laptop/computer to do real work. By real work I mean to develop a solution to a problem. Where do you keep your code or your documents? in an external HD and keep using it? or you use dropbox or something similar? do you re-install your environment every time you flip a computer or you re-image the HD? The latter is nearly impossible to do in Windows unless you buy a same maker machine.

On the positive side, I will try to change the way you use the computer so you do some real work.

30 minutes of mac experience is not good enough. Its horrendous to completely tear down apple from 30 minutes of experience. Perhaps you sound biased against apple since you couldn't flip it to make money out of it. may i ask why would you need a 2000 dollar laptop or a very powerful one for that matter? respectfully, you are neither a developer nor a programmer. That is fine, neither am I. I mean Alain has top of the line macbook pro. It makes sense why he needs it since he is a professional programmer. And if his choice is to go with a macbook pro, clearly it has some advantage to it, otherwise he wouldn't. Sorry ross, but you are tackling an issue and suggesting a solution without a real development experience. Fast results in computers are not only obtained from getting a better computer, but more importantly, it is obtained from writing a better and cleaner code.

30 minutes of mac experience is not good enough. may i ask why would you need a 2000 dollar laptop or a very powerful one for that matter? you are neither a developer nor a programmer. I mean Alain has top of the line macbook pro. It makes sense why he needs it since he is a professional programmer. And if his choice is to go with a macbook pro, clearly it has some advantage to it, otherwise he wouldn't.
And the 400000 "professional programmers" using windows?

where did you come up with this number? I mean have you done research to actually find out that there are 400000 programmers using windows? and if you did, from whom did you get the data from? How recent was this data? What type of programmers are they? What are they programming for?

As far as what can you do on windows that you can't on mac? Two words - Microsoft Office.

That's not really true. You can use Microsoft Office on Mac OSX. The full blown version, without a problem.

However, why would you want to use Microsoft Office?

Well, lots of people in finance use office. It can get to be a little hard to avoid at times, even if you really want to.

Does Excel for macs actually have proper vba support now? Or is it still broken?

Well, lots of people in finance use office. It can get to be a little hard to avoid at times.

and this is a major problem because it becomes central. Excel is usually the culprit and it only causes headaches. I'm dealing with that now. Hopefully, I'm having people using excel as presentation layer only. All the brain is pushed someplace else.

Does Excel for macs actually have proper vba support now? Or is it still broken?

This was a decision from Microsoft. They decided to stop supporting VBA in Office 2008 for Mac. They realized they screwed it up so it is back in Office 2011. There are countless of examples of software that only work on Windows. MS Office is not one of them.

and this is a major problem because it becomes central. Excel is usually the culprit and it only causes headaches. I'm dealing with that now. Hopefully, I'm having people using excel as presentation layer only. All the brain is pushed someplace else.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I sorely dislike doing anything in VBA. I wish there was an alternative... but all of excel's competition effectively died... it is what it is... :(

I'm not disagreeing with you. I sorely dislike doing anything in VBA. I wish there was an alternative... but all of excel's competition effectively died... it is what it is... :(
There are alternatives but people are too ingrained with Excel and tend to criticize everything else even if it is better. They criticize excel as well but, at the end, they forgive its shortcomings.

I do not hate Macs.

Apple OS I probably could live with. Its the hardware thats the real issue. Since Macs are sooo overhyped it is almost impossible to find one for a decent price. I have been through so many different laptops because I don't swear loyalty to any single brand. Whoever has the right hardware at the right cost wins. Point is Macs never have the right cost. They are always overpriced. If I ever found a Mac with the same hardware as a Sony for example at even the same price I might seriously consider giving it a shot.

Does that sound reasonable people?

Back