• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Python Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Objective: Learn and feel confident in using Python before joining MFE program in September.

Programming Experience: C++ for Financial Engineering certification, Matlab, some R, and some Python

Work Experience: Will be joining Columbia's MSFE program this September.

Intended Pace of Program: My goal is to finish the course before my program starts. This would give me 8 weeks from today to finish the course. Finishing this course while starting my first semester would be a difficult task.

objective: be a better python industry programmer

programming experience: mostly python for data science and quantitative analysis, have done some C#, SQL

work experience: prev trading research at asset management firm, currently quant analyst at a pension

intended pace of program: 4-6 hours a week

Objective: Learn and feel confident in using Python in day to day work. Trying to get a refresher.

Programming Experience: C++ for Financial Engineering certification. Heavy usage in python for data analysis and building back tests

Work Experience: 1 year+

Intended Pace of Program: My goal is to finish the course in 12 weeks and get a good refresher in the my python programming

Objective: the goal is to feel comfortable and confident with Python, prepping for MFE

Programming Experience: Some R, Matlab, Python

Work Experience: Credit Risk management, some research in Econ

Intended Pace of Program: Finish sooner than the deadline, but I won't rush just to "finish early" the goal is to learn as much as possible.

Objective: I am a rising senior in Mathematics and Economics, looking for RA/intern opportunities in Quant Finance and Econ, and preparing for MFE/ Econometrics Programs. My goal is to be proficient in Python, especially for using it in Finance and Econ application. I hope I will be more confident with my coding skills after this course.

Programming Experience: Matlab for Numerical Methods, STATA for Econometrics, Intro to Python, Data Structure in Java

Work Experience: Summer Intern in Lending/Fin-Tech

Intended Pace of Program: 4-6 hours/week. I hope I can finish the course around Nov.

Objective: Broaden the knowledge of programming in Python - especially programming in Python in a finance context.

Programming Experience: Some C++, R, and Python

Work Experience: 3+ year in Finance

Intended Pace of Program: Try to stay on top of the schedule

Objective: Sharpen my hands-on data science/machine learning skills in the Python language as well as get more extensive exposure to Python libraries concerning data science/machine learning.

Programming Experience: Have previously taken the C++ course on here and have taken courses in VBA, SQL, and Python from ScriptUni. Through grad school, some R programming experience. Through research-related work, used Matlab extensively.

Work Experience: About 8 months at an energy hedge fund start-up as a quant developer/trading analyst. Will be starting a new role next week as a quant risk analyst at a power and gas company.

Intended Pace of Program: Try to finish within the allocated schedule I'm given, but hopefully I can finish faster.

Last edited:
Objective: To refresh my skills in Python and learn more for Financial analytics.

Programming Experience: Being Finance major don't have too much experience other than some basic Python and good knowledge of SQL.

Work Experience: 3 years total experience - About 1 year in Deutsche Bank as an analyst in Global Prime Finance. 2 years in a fintech startup in Risk management.

Intended Pace of Program: Hoping to finish the program in 2 months

Hello there,

Objective: Pivot to Python completely by the end of this year and prepare for future quant based roles.

Programming Experience: Intro to Python and a few DataCamp courses.

Work Experience: Analyst II at a risk consultancy branch of an Investment Bank in New York.

Intended Pace of Program: Intending to use all 12 weeks. Taking the course whilst continuing my day job. 2-3hrs during the week and 9 hours in the weekend.

Objective: Learn and become better at using Python and apply to fixed income portfolio management as well as performing back test on bond investment stratetgies.

Programming Experience: Intro to C# and have audited courses in python.

Work Experience: 3 year experience as a fixed income analyst with current focus on buying and selling FX currencies and potential advance to bond portfolio management

Intended Pace of Program: Hoping to finish the course in two months

Hi All!

Objective: Learn Python to future-proof myself. I have three months before I start studying again for the CFA exams and I wanted to learn some coding.
Programming experience: VBA (Can modify set macros for client needs), R (Time Series Analysis)
Work Experience: 2.5 Years as a Financial Modeling Associate (Use VBA and Excel to effectively pull and present our data for client use)
Intended Pace of Program: 12 weeks

Hi All!
Objective: Become familiar with Python for solving financial problems. Gain some experience of computational finance.
Programming Experience: Java (Oriented-Programming: entry-level computer science course), R (entry-level data science course for environmental science)
Intended Pace of Program: 5-6 weeks
I am ready to struggle through this course and learn some real stuff. Good luck to us all.

Hey everybody!

Lisa here. Very excited to be joining you all.

Objective: I have two: 1) learn how I can apply Python to investment decision-making and 2) prepare for MFE

Programming Experience: none yet (...yes I seem to be the outlier here :P but I will work extra hard!)

Work Experience: 4+ years in investment management with focus on fundamental research

Intended Pace of Program: 10 weeks

Hi all! hoping to get some very good hands-on experience from this course.

Objective: To satisfy programming prerequisite for MFE program.

Programming Experience: Only some basic python from MOOC

Work Experience: Around 7 years working in equity research in BB.

Intended Pace of Program: I'd like to finish the course as soon as possible, so would be working on the full pace.

Back