• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Hi all,

Objective: To learn C++ as a new skill and seek future opportunities in the quant space

Programming experience: Some Python, SQL

Current work: Wealth Management at a Bulge Bracket

Intended pace of program: Intend to complete the course ASAP and proceed to the advanced course. Also supplementing my learning with the Sams Teach Yourself C++ book (let me know if this is not recommended)

Objective: To establish good coding skills in order to implement the math/stats I know/will learn- so I can be of some use outside of cookie cutter tests. Also, to help me in gaining quant work experience.

Programming experience: Used R in a two semester sequence of regression, time series. Used pre-developed packages/functions only, excepting some data cleaning issues. Did a tiny bit of HTML/Java in a high school course.

Current work: Investment research intern at a private wealth management company (mainly UHNW individuals).

Intended pace of program: As long as it takes to get it down well. Preferably finished by early September.

Hi everyone,

Objective: Learn the required skills to get into an MFE program.

Programming Experience: Python, basic Java and C++

Current work: Recent graduate(BS Math)

Intended Pace: I have no specific timeline, as much time as it takes to learn the basics and get a strong foundation.

Hello everyone, this is Kevin from CO. I'm very exicted to take this course.

Objective: Prepare for MFE programs in a challenging and useful programing language like C++, and apply mathematical and statistical concepts in quantititive finance

Programming experience: Python (Advanced), SQL (Advanced), JavaScript (Intermediate), R (Basic), C++ (Basic)

Current Work: Senior Data Science under the Executive Vice Presidency of Risk Managament at a Top3 Bank

Intended pace of program: As long as neccesary. Preferably before November

Hi everyone, I'm Mykyta and I'm thrilled to join this course!

Objective: I want to become proficient in C++ to become a Quantitative Developer

Programming experience: Advanced Python, SQL; Comfortable with Java, C++, MatLab

Current work: MEng Graduate in Mechanical Engineering with experience in Data Science and Algorithmic Trading

Intended pace of program: Within 16 weeks in combination with other resources

Hey everyone, I'm James!
Objective: Obtain C++ prerequisite for MFE Program Application and break into the Quantitative Trading Profession
Programming experience: Python, basic C++, C, SQL, Java, MatLab
Current work: Independent Day Trader looking to develop algorithmic trading programs
Intended pace of program: Fast as I can fully absorb the information

Hello everyone, my name is Trenton.

Objective: Learn C++ to become Quant and for MFE program pre-requisites.

Programming experience: Python, R, SQL, and Java.

Current work: Graduated with B.S. in Stats & Math from US State School. Recently employed as a Software Engineer at a large US bank.

Intended pace of program: 12-14 Weeks.

How I discover the course: Baruch MFE Website.

Hi, my name is Sendohx. So pleased to take this course with all of you!

Objective: Learn C++ and prepare for MFE program application.

Programming experience: Python, R, C, and SQL.

Current work: undergraduate majoring in MFE.

Intended pace of program: 13-15 Weeks.

Hey everyone, my name is Aemen.

Objective: Refresh my knowledge of C++ and learn OOO. (I used to program in C++ 12 years ago but haven't touched it in the last 12 years). The language has changed a lot during this time.

Programming experience: Python, SQL

Current work: Infrastructure engineering at a tech company in California.

Intended pace of program: 12 weeks.

Hello, I was going through some threads as I prepare for my final and realized I never uploaded a post to this one! Hi everyone, my name is Eric.

Objective: I am looking to transition to the quantitative field from my current FP&A role and am applying to MFE programs starting in Fall 2024. I figured learning C++ will give me a solid programming foundation to what is hopefully a long career in quantitative finance!

Programming experience: I used to dabble in web development. I took some Python courses in college and did side projects on my own time. At work, I do a lot of stuff with SAS, SQL, and VBA.

Current work: FP&A (financial planning and analysis) for a healthcare company. I work in our insurance division and specifically project annual revenue for a $100B+ line of business.

Intended pace of program: I've taken my time, and have used about all 16 weeks. Finishing up (fingers crossed) this Monday!

Hello everyone, my name is David. So nice to meet you all. good luck to everyone in the course.

Objective: I am looking to review and enhance my knowledge of c++ with the goal to get in to a financial engineering program.

Programming experience: Python, c++

Current work: Accounting firm

Intended pace of program: 10 weeks

Hello everyone, Nice to meet you guys! My name is Bert. Very happy to be here :)

Objective: Admission to MFE programs for Fall 2024

Programming experience: C/C++, Python, SQL, VBA

Current work: Actuarial Analyst in New York City

Intended pace of program: Currently work full time and hope I can finish the course in 3 month

Back