• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Hi all, my name is Hong Siang :)

Objective: To dive myself deep and understand C++, and in a sense communicate with the computer and understand how C++ communicates with the machine language for efficient financial modeling algorithms.
Programming Experience: Python( for Data Science)
Current Work: Still studying and equipping myself with relevant technical skills to become a great quant in the future.
Intended Pace: As long as I need, I want to enjoy the learning process :D

Hi, I'm Vish!

Objective: Learn a lower-level language and apply it contextually while learning about the field of financial engineering
Programming Experience: Python & some Java
Current Work: Undergrad CS and Stats Major—hopefully, a quant in the near future!
Intended Pace: Hopefully by the start of summer, but I'll take my time if I need/want to.

Hi, my name is Pengzhi Huo,
Objective: Learn C++ for the future MFE program
Programming Experience: Python, R, SQL
Current Work: I just graduated this year from Baruch with my bachelor's degree, and going to graduate school in the fall, concentrating on Quantitative methods and modeling.
Intended Pace: Hopefully, by the start of summer cause I will have an internship during summer.

BTW, this is the best C++ course for MFE preparation ever. I am a Baruch student; I know it, and our MFE program is the TOP 1!

Eager to get started with this course!

Objective: Master C++ before I begin Columbia's MFE this fall

Programming experience: Significant Python, R, Java, SAS and Visual Basic (also some frontend HTML/CSS/JavaScript/Ajax)

Current work: 1.5 years in Quant Research @ Bloomberg pursuing an MFE @ Columbia this fall

Intended pace of program: I hope to keep a consistent daily effort and finish as soon as possible

Planning to start MFE program by Fall 23. Already have an acceptance and pending other decisions.

Objective: Gain Beginner Knowledge in C++ before MFE

Programming experience: Some Python exposure in implementing numerical methods, Intermediate VBA exposure from actuarial career, Basic OOP principles in Java, VBA, no C/C++ knowledge

Current work: 1.5 years of experience in Hedge Risk Management at Life Insurance Company, 1 year experience in actuarial related roles

Intended pace of program: Plan to complete by End of May (8-9 weeks)

Last edited:
Planning to start MFE program by Fall 23. Already have an acceptance and pending other decisions.

Objective: Gain Beginner Knowledge in C++ before MFE

Programming experience: Some Python exposure in implementing numerical methods, Intermediate VBA exposure from actuarial career, Basic OOP principles in Java, VBA, no C/C++ knowledge

Current work: 1.5 years of experience in Hedge Risk Management at Life Insurance Company, 1 year experience in actuarial related roles

Intended pace of program: Plan to complete by End of May (8-9 weeks)
Hey Vineeth, I am Darshan. I am also looking forward to pursuing MFE this fall and wanted to know which school you got accepted into if you can share.

Sure thanks for responding. I was accepted into Stevens. However, I am still pending decisions from Baruch, Columbia, NYU, CMU, UCLA, UChicago, GA Tech
Congrats for that and all the best for the others. I wanted to ask you how was QBA exam for Baruch? Like how were the questions and how was the exam conducted? It would be really helpful if you could provide some guidance regarding that. Thanks for responding.

Hi, my name is Yifan. I am thrilled to join the Quantnet community!

Objective: Refresh and upgrade my C++ skills; prepare for job interviews and possibly applications to MFE programs for Fall 2024 entry, after finishing my PhD degree.
Programming Experience: First learnt C++ and Matlab in 2012. Sporadically used Python since 2014. Had full stack web and mobile apps development experience.
Current Work: 4th year Math PhD student at Boston College, specializing in number theory.
Intended pace: Speedrun.

Hi everyone, my name is Ziyi Zhan! I can't wait to join our community and learn C++ together!
Objective: Learn C++ to prepare for financial engineering skills and possibly application to Baruch MFE Program in the future.
Programming Experience: Python and a few Matlab
Current School: ZJU
Intended pace: Hopefully by this summer

Hi everyone, I am Simar Oberoi. Really excited to learn C++ with you all!
Objective: To learn and have some experience with C++ before the start of my MS in Mathematics in Finance in August of this year.
Programming Experience: R, Python, MATLAB
Current School: University of Waterloo
Intended Pace: Hoping to finish before August

Hi everyone, I am Zehao Yang. It is so exciting to be a member of our community and study C++ for Financial Engineering together.
Objective: To study C++ and accumulate coding experience before entering the MS in Mathematics in Finance graduate program.
Programming Experience: R, Python
Current School: NYU
Intended Pace: Finish before August

Last edited:
Hi all, glad to join the community!
Objective: Develop a deeper understanding of C++ for Financial Engineering and prepare for MFE programs in the future
Programming Experience: Python (Expert), Java (Intermediate), R (Intermediate), C# (Intermediate), Solidity (Intermediate), C++ (Basics), SQL (Basics)
Work experiences: Machine Learning Engineer (past internship), Quantitative developer for my start up (Current)
Intended Pace: Finish in the given time frame.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm Nick, happy to join the community!
Objective: complete the course as an MFE pre-requisite and just get proper acquaintance with programming for myself
Programming Experience: enough to write a BS pricing script, although I think it looks rather rudimentary from coding perspective
Work experiences: a few years of consulting in Big4
Intended Pace: take my time and hopefully develop some programming skills

Back