• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Hi there! So excited to join this class and nice to meet you!

Objective: learning C++ for financial engineering; get prepared for graduate study
Programming Experience: python
Current Work: student
Intended pace: try to complete within 10 weeks

let's get it and have fun
Go for it :)

Last edited:
Hi, everyone. I am Clare, a finance student in Beijing. So excited to take this course :)
Objective: C programming; Admission to MFE programs
Programming experience: Python, Matlab, a little C, a little R
Current work: Business Data Analysis Intern at AWS
Intended pace of program: July

Hi, my name is Dan and I am currently a master's level statistics student in Philadelphia.
Objective: I would like to become a quant someday and I feel this course will not only teach me C++ but also the necessary skills to pick up other languages
Programming Experience: R, SAS, Matlab, a little Python.
Current Work: Student, but joining a statistical modeling team at a bank this summer
Intended Pace: Hoping to finish by end of July

Hi, my name is Dan and I am currently a master's level statistics student in Philadelphia.
Objective: I would like to become a quant someday and I feel this course will not only teach me C++ but also the necessary skills to pick up other languages
Programming Experience: R, SAS, Matlab, a little Python.
Current Work: Student, but joining a statistical modeling team at a bank this summer
Intended Pace: Hoping to finish by end of July
C++ is a great foundation for other languages indeed. Good luck!

Hi I am a graduate student at Columbia University in New York City studying Operations Research.

Objective: develop classical financial and mathematical models in C++, learn metaprogramming basics in C++

Programming experience: Python, R, a little bit of Java

Current work: Interning at an Asset Manager doing Quantitative Research in the structured credit space while getting MS

Intended pace of program: As soon as possible

Hi everyone, I just enrolled for the course after attempting the first two homework lessons, and look forward to getting into the meat of the coursework soon! Good luck to everyone!

Objective: Become a decent C++ programmer, learn the intuition behind building good code, and hopefully get considered for FE programs when I apply next application season. Much work to be done.

Programming Experience: Python

Current Work: Work in risk at a bank. Goal is to move into a role related to investing, and is more quantitative in nature.

Intended pace of program: Hopefully 10 weeks, before starting a summer math course.

Hi all, I'm Shirley and I'm a sophomore student from Chengdu, China. So excited to join this class.

Objective: To strongthen my C++ programming skills. I will apply for MFE programs in the future.
Programming experience: some C++, some Python and a little Java
Current work: student
Intended pace of program: about 14 weeks.

Hello Avi, Everyone

My name is Saran Reddy. I am from Mumbai, India. I will be starting MS in Quantitative and Computational Finance in August 2020. I have an experience of over 3 years in Finance, but not in Quant. I am taking this course together with the Options Primer course so that I can refresh and strengthen my knowledge.

Objective: Strengthen C++ programming skills

Programming Experience: C, C++, Python and R

Current Work: Working at a hedge fund

Intended pace of program: Within a month

Looking forward to learn more.

Hi everyone,
Objective: Learn C++ for MFE program, Learn how to model with C++, prepare for my graduate school

Programming Experience: Python, C++
Current work: In my senior year of Math major
Intended Pace: Not sure, hopefully complete course before August.

Hello,

Obj: Learn C++ for MFE program, learn comp methods for fin modeling.

Programming experience: None
Current Work: I am an anesthetist.
Pace: We will find out together.

Hello everyone,

Objective: I want to relearn the basics and to advance my knowledge of C++ before starting my MFE this August.

Programming experience: C++ (1 course), Java (2 courses), R (statistics courses)

Current work: I just completed a math/stats undergrad. I have experience in investment management.

Intended pace: I aim to complete the course by mid-August at the latest.

Hello, everyone! My name is Lyle, and I am excited to be starting this course!

Objective: To strengthen my programming skills by learning C++. There is also a chance that I'll apply for a financial engineering program in the future. I guess this course is also something nice to do during quarantine.

Programming experience: Matlab, Stata, Python, Fortran, R, C#, HTML. But I only know a little bit of each.

Current work: Recently graduated from MS in Finance in Baruch. Unemployed :(

Intended pace of program: Anything between two weeks and four months. Your guess is as good as mine

Hello, everyone! My name is Lyle, and I am excited to be starting this course!

Objective: To strengthen my programming skills by learning C++. There is also a chance that I'll apply for a financial engineering program in the future. I guess this course is also something nice to do during quarantine.

Programming experience: Matlab, Stata, Python, Fortran, R, C#, HTML. But I only know a little bit of each.

Current work: Recently graduated from MS in Finance in Baruch. Unemployed :(

Intended pace of program: Anything between two weeks and four months. Your guess is as good as mine
C# is in some ways similar to C++. But C++ demands you manage memory yourself.

Hi everyone, my name is Niuniu, and I am excited to learn a new programming language.

Objective: Learn C++ for admission to Operations Research programs and for my own personal enrichment

Programming Experience: None. (Majored in Math during undergraduate, and I did my thesis on Category Theory. I hope my background helps.)

Current Work: NYU graduate student

Intended Pace: Wish to finish this course and the advanced level by the end of October?

Hi, my name is Xueying. I am so excited to start my new journey here!

Objective: To enhance my programming knowledge by learning C++

Programming Experience: Python, R

Current Work: a master student at Columbia University

Intended Pace: Hope to finish within 8 weeks

Back