• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Objective: Complete this course and admission to MFE programs.

Programming experience: a little MATLAB, Python.

Current work: Final-year Mechanical Engineering/Math Undergrad.

Intended pace of program: Hopefully by March 1.

Hi everyone! My name is Adam Sy, and I am really happy to be in the program with everyone :)

Objective: My initial goal was to learn Python for economic research, but in the FAQ of that course, Andy gave the advice to first learn a hard programming language to gain proper programming concepts and habits, and so I am taking his advice and enrolling in this course first :)

Programming experience: Mainly Stata (although I don't think this is an actual programming language), took introductory courses on Python, Matlab and R

Current work: Unemployed (just finished school)

Intended pace of program: I intend to work on this course full-time, so I hope to finish in 2-2.5 months.

Last edited:
Hi All,
I'm a senior student who will continue my study at a school in New York this August.

Objective: Learning C++ for quant development and explore the field of quant
Programming Experience: Python, R, MATLAB, JAVA, and a little C++
Current Work: Math major + Stat minor
Intended Pace: Finish before March 2022.

Haha it was used by the company I worked for during my first job so I had to learn some aspects of it for basic data graphing purposes and only later realized no one really uses this.
APL is is very powerful and influential language. The last time I used it was when I was teaching numerical methods to senior undetgrads at Maynooth University in 1980. It's a pity that C++ does not support its n-d data structures.
APL kind of reminds me of Python Pandas.

The APL keyboard was something they would use on Starship Enterprise. AFAIR there was a button to invert a matrix!

Anyways, good luck on the course!

Last edited:
Hello,

my name is Lee-David. I am a first-semester student going for a double degree in BA Economics / B. Sc. Mathematics. I am from Germany and currently studying in Switzerland. I already got some work experience in banking and it's my goal to pursue a career in trading. Because of my passion for derivatives, C++ is a great opportunity for me to expand my knowledge working with financial products.

Have fun!

Hello everyone,
Objective: To learn C++ for a career in derivatives trading and to get admission in a top MFE program.

Programming experience: Python

Current work: Market Risk Quant

The intended pace of the program: I will be studying stochastic calculus along with this program for my next project on derivative pricing, so I intend to go as slow and in-depth as possible, ending the course by the beginning of March 2022.
Update: I finished the program yesterday, a month earlier than I had expected, with Distinction :).
Now I prefer coding in C++ over Python, LOL.

Hi, everyone!
Objective: For future career in quantitative finance
Programming Experience: Python, C (have learned long before but have almost forgotten)
Current Work: internship in a hedge fund; incoming student in a statistics MS program or MFE program (still waiting for decision)
Intended Pace: Hopefully before the end of June

Back