• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2009 Quantnet Ranking of Financial Engineering (MFE), Quantitative Finance Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
CGU's price tag doesn't reflect Fellowship awards which vary from 20-40% of tuition.

CGU's price tag doesn't reflect Fellowship awards which vary from 20-40% of tuition.

I don't think the price should reflect any fellowship award. If I want to go to CGU, how much am I going to be charged? That's what he is looking for. Andy probably is stating the published price.

what shows up on my Invoice is "Tuition - Fellowship(%)*Tuition - Loans"...it's a game they're playing to maximize their returns. If they want to look attractive, they will give large fellowship; else, they can charge Full-Tution.

Are most other programs charging a flat fee? No Fellowship? I remember BU awarded me a Scholarship and the final cost was more at BU than CGU with its Fellowship.

Yes. The level of participation from programs in our 2011 ranking is very high.

Can everyone do me a favor? Please take a look at the 2009 ranking, and let me know if any of the tuition is no longer correct. I updated a few programs recently but haven't got to all of them yet.
The more accurate data we have there, the better.
I did find some of the numbers not matching the numbers I collected. However, are those numbers in the ranking just the tuition or tuition plus living costs?

Li Cai
The numbers were collected when we did the ranking in 2009. Over time, I tried to update the numbers. They are tuition only because cost of living differs from person to person.
Even so, finding the tuition number alone is not a straightforward process which makes me think many incoming students only know the true cost when they receive the Bursars bill in their first term.

For example, when I tried to find the tuition for the Stanford MathFin program, it links to the Financial Aid page which a small tuition links to the Registrar Office.
I came away not really knowing what one would have to pay for the degree there.

This is just from a casual prospective applicant view. Is it asking too much for the programs to put the information in the main page of the program and update them regularly?

menovive tuition always increases year over year. Percentage-wise the Baruch MFE program has the biggest tuition increase this year even though in absolute term, their tuition ($32K) is about half the average tuition at most programs.

Diego Calderon providing fellowship or any kind of tuition discount is one way to stay competitive when your tuition is way higher than the overage charge at other more popular programs. Boston, CGU, CMU, IIT, NYU-Poly, etc all provide some form of discount.
NYU, Baruch, Columbia, UCB, etc do not give out any fellowship.

Reactions: D C
The tuition for the program at Cornell has slightly increased, this year it is $20,662.50 per semester, so since it is a 3-semester program it costs $61,987.50 for the whole program.
Source :http://www.gradschool.cornell.edu/costs-and-funding/tuition-and-costs/tuition-rates

And I think it would be good to say on the ranking whether the tuition is for 1 year or the entire program, since it can be confusing for the 1.5 year (and 2 year) programs.

And I think it would be good to say on the ranking whether the tuition is for 1 year or the entire program, since it can be confusing for the 1.5 year (and 2 year) programs.
Thanks for the update, Remy.
The tuition total on the ranking is for the whole duration of the program, not per year, so people can compare apple to apple. If you see some numbers are off, I would be glad to update them.

Andy,

Will we see any non-US programs in the rankings?

hey andy,
is ucla mfe program eligible for the rankings?

The rank makes me laugh.

I am a Berkeley MFE graduate and I know enough ppl from other MFE programs to make the the following conclusion:
Berkeley MFE graduates are getting WAY better jobs then any other MFE program graduates.
For the latest Berkeley graduates, 8 GS, 7 Blackrock, 6 MS, 9 Citi&BNP, etc, all associate or VP level. I myself and a few of my classmates are getting paid 200+ for the first year. I don't see any other program can beat this.

CMU is a comparable program, Columbia/Stanford/NYU are decent for younger kids. Baruch? LOL

I am not saying getting into a bad program(like Baruch) will destroy your career. There are good students in the bad programs, vice versa. But you just have to face the truth, focus on your courseworks and work harder than others, not to make up some pathetic ranking to fool yourself. Ranking yourself higher won't get you a good job, so stop being a joke and get down to the real business.

Or you can keep on doing what you've been doing and watch ppl with high pay/good career laughing at you:)

Rutgers MSMF is now around $17,500 a semester for full-time out of state. Still 1.5 year program.

The rank makes me laugh.

I am a Berkeley MFE graduate and I know enough ppl from other MFE programs to make the the following conclusion:
Berkeley MFE graduates are getting WAY better jobs then any other MFE program graduates.
For the latest Berkeley graduates, 8 GS, 7 Blackrock, 6 MS, 9 Citi&BNP, etc, all associate or VP level. I myself and a few of my classmates are getting paid 200+ for the first year. I don't see any other program can beat this.

CMU is a comparable program, Columbia/Stanford/NYU are decent for younger kids. Baruch? LOL

I am not saying getting into a bad program(like Baruch) will destroy your career.

You should be careful. You never know who your next boss will be. If it's me (I hold Baruch in the highest regard obviously) I will fire you on the spot. That being said, I don't know any respectable businessmen who would post their salaries online...

Point being: Wise people would speak highly of an institution. Weak people would insult one.

You should be careful. You never know who your next boss will be. If it's me (I hold Baruch in the highest regard obviously) I will fire you on the spot. That being said, I don't know any respectable businessmen who would post their salaries online...

Point being: Wise people would speak highly of an institution. Weak people would insult one.

I will not fire you. I will even pay you high bonus if you do great. See the difference?

I will not fire you. I will even pay you high bonus if you do great. See the difference?

From Berkely Website. What makes you guys so different?
ALL - Average Bonus

• Average First Year Total Compensation: $155,975
  • Median First Year Total Compensation: $144,000
  • Average First Year Base Salary: $101,125
  • Median First Year Base Salary: $100,000
  • Average Sign-in & Relocation: $22,876
  • Median Sign-in & Relocation: $5,000
  • Average First Year Guaranteed/Unguaranteed year-end bonuses, housing/transportation and other compensations: $50,606
  • Median First Year Guaranteed/Unguaranteed year-end bonuses, housing/transportation and other compensations:$36,700

It's not about the school. It's about someone being so arrogant as to publicly post: "My school is the best, yours stinks, and I make a higher salary then all of you." That's the type of person I would fire in an instant. Anyone who would give such a person a raise is insane.

It's not about the school. It's about someone being so arrogant as to publicly post: "My school is the best, yours stinks, and I make a higher salary then all of you." That's the type of person I would fire in an instant. Anyone who would give such a person a raise is insane.

This is a PUBLIC site? I thought it was you Baruch guys's backyard, LOL
You sound like a little naive and idealized about this business, kid. You will learn. And if you are a good MFE student, how can you have so much free time talking around on the internet? Maybe if guys like you you can stop doing nonsense(i.e. speaking highly of your program online) and work harder on your courseworks, you can make yourselves better job candidates and your progam a better one. Good luck:)

Purdue charges $13,903 Non-resident Tuition (Full Time) for Fall 2011 semester. Still a 2 year program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back