• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Hello everyone,

My name is Kwame Okrah.
Objective: Learn C++ (through financial engineering examples)
Programming Experience: R (expert level), C (beginner level), Python (beginner level)
Current Work: I am currently a statistician in the biotech industry
Intended Pace: Approx. 3 months

Cheers!

Greetings everyone, my name is Dexter.

Objective: Learn C++ so as to be better qualified for MFE programs
Programming Experience: Java (has been ~3 years)
Current Work: M.A. student in math at a US uni, research centered around harmonic, fourier and stochastic analysis
Intended Pace: 8 - 12 weeks

Greetings Folks, I am Pasquale. I enrolled about one month ago, but I have been quite busy due to my job and I forgot to introduce myself!

Objective: Learn C++ in order to apply for Graduate Studies (still wondering if to apply for MFE or PhD)
Programming Experience: R, SQL (almost 2 years)
Current work: Rating and Credit risk analyst at Central Bank of Italy
Intended pace: By the end of August (16 weeks)

Greetings Folks, I am Pasquale. I enrolled about one month ago, but I have been quite busy due to my job and I forgot to introduce myself!

Objective: Learn C++ in order to apply for Graduate Studies (still wondering if to apply for MFE or PhD)
Programming Experience: R, SQL (almost 2 years)
Current work: Rating and Credit risk analyst at Central Bank of Italy
Intended pace: By the end of August (16 weeks)
In bocca al lupo! Forza.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I am Hao.

Objective: Learn about the basics of C++ and the application in quant finance
Programming Experience: entry level of R and Python
Current work: Graduate student major in data analytics
Intended pace: hopefully complete the program by the end of September

Hello everyone, my name is Rich.

Objective: To learn C++ for admission to MFE programs and more generally learn solid programming principles that will lay a solid foundation for further studies after this course.

Programming experience: R and some C++

Current work: Undergrad student Math major.

Intended pace of program: Just finished a summer course in stochastic processes, will be studying for the GRE while taking this and next semester will probably start towards the end of this program. Would say around 2 months to complete.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Hope you are all safe and healthy.

Objective: To cover the prerequisites for MFE program and also build a solid foundation in object oriented programming.
Programming experience: Intermediate C,C++, python
Current work: Portfolio and Risk Analyst
Intended pace of program: Finish by end of September or early October

Any 2021 MFE program aspirant reading this and willing to connect, please give me a shout.

Happy studying everyone

Hi there, just joined the C++ intro course. Planned to start much earlier, but a lot of things happened over the past few months at my previous work place and got in the way. Nevertheless, better late than never.

Objective: Learn C++, refresh some knowledge from past programming classes.
Programming experience: Just some elementary first/second year computer science courses (I recall some graph stuffs like brute-forcing traveling salesman problem in the last one I took).
Current work: None, just resigned from a hedge fund research/database analyst role. Admitted to Columbia MFE for Fall 2020 enrollment.
Intended pace of program: Will try to juggle this with some pre-program stuffs from Columbia (bootcamps/career prep seminars) for the next 4 weeks-ish, and then continue at a slower pace after semester starts. I've never used C++ before (only C and Java), but some of the Quantnet C++ course contents seem to overlap with what I've studied before (in different languages) so that might help a bit.

Back